• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Improvements

ensiferum321 is offline Site Elder
      My status is: To be continued

I am:
      Piratey

I agree, maybe change the LFS/Sponsers threads heading to a different color , that way it can easily be spotted

Quote Originally Posted by omrdloreyes View Post
      As a user and a coustomer of LFS, I find it convinient to have lfs sale items along with everyone else's. I dont want to miss out on a sale of a lfs only because i forgot to check other forums. Thread's just need to be properly labeled, so one can easily filter out.
      Last edited by SanDiegoReefs; 09-22-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Two Bit Scooter is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I like, or maybe highlight/color the site sponsor's usernames in the search results listing.

AquaticLifeTropicals is offline Site Sponsor - LFS
      My status is: Covered In Salt

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Waves in Glass View Post
      I dont want to start a debate on this only express that I disagree with this. Sponsors should be able to place items they have for sale in any for sale area that is appropriate. The sponsor area is for information that the sponsors want to pass out about their business.
      I have placed some info of sale items in my personal area only to be told by many that they never saw the sale.
      The reason is that they only go to the individual for sale livestock/equipment forums.
      with that revelation sponsors would be restricted to their area and nobody would see what they have for sale. why sponsor in that case?
      As long as the sale threads are reasonably managed their should not be an issue. That is for both sponsors and regular members.
      +2

Would be happy to have our own section.... if people actually cared to look.

Case in point:

In my own thread (AND OFFERING DISCOUNT): 139 views (over an entire month)
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80880

In Livestock For Sale (NO DISCOUNT): 377 views (in 1 week)
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82479

I wouldn't bother paying to be a sponsor if I didn't receive adequate hits.
      Last edited by AquaticLifeTropicals; 09-22-2011 at 01:31 PM.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Site SPONSORS....
      I won't debate it too much, as I'm pretty firm in my own personal opinion and I agree to a point with some of you. And of course you don't want to be limited to a certain for-sale section!! Why, when you don't have to now?! But, see... I know if I want something from a "sponsor", most of the time it's a store front. If you don't have a store front, then it's a bit different, but not by much... because people can't walk in and see, touch or feel on their own during open hours.

The middle men, like LA Run types, or selling out of their garage to make profit are the ones who still receive "Deals" or are distributors...etc and can get better pricing to make a profit. Buying wholesale, to sell for profit... but yet still no store front. Even then, I still think they have an upper advantage over the common reef enthusiast and should be limited to the sponsor-for-sale section.

I'd like to see a strict policy on the general-for-sale section for the non-wholesale types. The "average Joes"... people like myself, who will sell out of their personal tank of from their garage and share with other reefers. Or who aren't out to make a profit, and turn a buck on someone else's dime. Almost as like mentioned where it's a swap meet, but wholesalers/distributors and store owners aren't allowed to buy/sell. It's not odd for sites to limit things like this... why would this be so odd for SDReefs?

If people want to see STORE specials, or SPONSOR specials... they check the proper sponsor-for-sale section! How hard is that?? One more click?!
      PLUS, if you put up a sponsor-for-sale section... people will come, it'll just take some time. God forbid any sales person have patience.

For example, if I want to pay near retail... I go to sponsor-for-sale section. If I want to look for a reefer, who may sell cheap... where I can get a GOOD deal... I'll look in the general-for-sale section first. Once that's extinguished, I can go back and choose to do retail. No more sifting through who is a store, wholesaler, or whatever.

(I've got lots more opinion on this, and will keep it short-n-sweet to not thread jack too much... but, maybe this will give you my thought on the bigger picture).

Quote Originally Posted by jrod11 View Post
      Also, can we change when a user exceeds their PMs that they can't recieve messages? I just had to create a thread to notify them. Seems a bit insane to have to jump through hoops like that. Maybe they cant send them, but they can receive them.
      I get email when my inbox is full, and the email states who the message came from during their attempt. If I login, delete some messages... I'm easily capable of replying to that person who made the attempt. OR, the user can turn on "accept email from users". OR... go premium, you get butt loads of PM space.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 09-22-2011 at 04:01 PM.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

not allowing new members post For Sale threads until they have like 20 meaningful post just my own

UrbanReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The issue is there would be no hits in a separate forum. Here is an idea ..... U click "forums" , click "livestock for sale trade" then there are two options "Livestock general sale/trade" & "Reefer to Reefer sale/trade" The looker has the option between the two forums! Neither forum is flooded with apposing interests.And sponsors "for sale" will not be banished/Lost to a far off low traffic area of the site!!! Yay everyone wins!
      Last edited by UrbanReef; 09-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanReef View Post
      The issue is there would be no hits in a separate forum. Here is an idea ..... U click "forums" , click "livestock for sale trade" then there are two options "Livestock general sale/trade" & "Reefer to Reefer sale/trade" The looker has the option between the two forums! Neither forum is flooded with apposing interests.And sponsors "for sale" will not be banished/Lost to a far off low traffic area of the site!!! Yay everyone wins!
      A great idea... but; With that, it would require more work on the posters and a little more on the readers. Each time they post, it would require them to 'check' or 'select' the appropriate sub-topic. Ya know how many would miss that?! I can name a few right now. People already miss that for WTB/FS/SOLD/etc, or forget to update their "FS" threads to "SOLD". I can only imagine the chaos.

... TWO THREADS. Simple, effective, and easy to moderate.

Again, folks... this is just my opinion. And I'm vocal ... so, take it with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to throw it down your throats. Just speaking out about my thoughts, and stream lining a site with GREAT potential ... to be even better!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 09-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.

KDHL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

"Livestock" is a sub-forum too... why is it come up more when hit the "New Posts" than the vendor forums? I think it has to do with how they programmed for the "New Post" option.

Just need to change the code to treat the "Vendor forums" like other forums... such as "Main", "LiveStock", "Equipment".

I use the "New Posts" option all the time.... hardly select each sub-forum... unless I have to find more details.

My suggestions.

SanDiegoReefs is online now Owner/Administrator
      My status is: Busy Working on Stuff

I am:
      Amused

We are undertaking a huge change in the delivery of Sale items here, new layout, wraps, banners, so Sponsors will have other options to display content on For Sale items other than the forum post areas. The Sponsor areas are lower in the thread sequence and maybe don't have a lot of traffic so I see that point.

Maybe I like the idea of a SPONSOR FOR SALE Section and that is simple enough.

We are working on moving to a newer Hosting Area and redirecting from
      http://www.sdreefs.com to http://www.sandiegoreefs.com in the very near future maybe as early as this Sunday Night so keep that in mind. Once we get that all redirected and clean we will be looking at upgrading to a newer version of VBulletin. Look for a PM blast on this.

Mutual Respect is Number 1.

Thanks again keep them suggestions coming.
      Last edited by SanDiegoReefs; 09-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.
      SIGNATURE

Doing the best we can for SDReefs.com and our Reefing Community.

Have you read the post: Etiquette for newbies?

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22223

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

• Support for TapaTalk
      • Upgrade ChatBox so it can be used by touch-screen devices. (I know this requires vB4, so this can't be done quite yet)

surfnsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Excited to see how everything turns out. Going to renew my membership asap now!

KDHL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

How about add more emoticons?

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

How about lfs posting prices not just pics? some people are on budgets and instead of sending pms back and forth......

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

Quote Originally Posted by KDHL View Post
      How about add more emoticons?
      yeah.....bring the popcorn back

Reef3r is offline Registered User
      My status is: Sleepy

I am:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
      • Support for TapaTalk
      • Upgrade ChatBox so it can be used by touch-screen devices. (I know this requires vB4, so this can't be done quite yet)
      Defiantly going to agree on these.

Maybe adding a "Other Hobbies" subforum?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information