• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand New 120W LED Fixtures

dom_michael is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Brand New 120W LED Fixtures

I have LED fixtures for sale. They're $225 each. They come with 2 switches and a hanging kit. The power cords are removable so you can change them out for longer or shorter ones. LEDs are alternating white/blue instead of in rows or columns so you get a better spread and the color looks more even.

Here are the specs:
      Size: 400X212X63mm
      Power: 120W (112X1W)
      Lifespan: 50,000 hrs
      Blue: 56*1W at 460nm
      White: 56*1W at 14,000K
      Power Factor: > 0.97
      LED: Epistar
      Warranty: 2 Years
      Color: black case

Here are some pictures.

LEDs:

Blue lights only:

White lights only:

Both lights:

Hanging:

Both lights on over a 24X24 tank:

150G tank with 3 lights:
      Last edited by dom_michael; 11-30-2011 at 04:17 PM.

seabass1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Just curious about the area coverage of these units?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Coverage is 24 x 24. It will reach a depth of 3 feet depending on how high you mount it.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There are some questions about why these LEDs are $225 when there are similar ones on Amazon and Ebay for around $170. Here are the differences:

1. These 112 LEDs are Epistar 1W. The ones on Amazon and Ebay are either 2W or 3W with 55 LEDs and the type are unknown. 1W LEDs will give you a more even coverage so there aren't bright and dark spots in your tank. I can get the cheaper 2W/3W fixtures but you'll end up burning the corals that are right under the LED and the ones further away won't get enough light.

2. Amazon/Ebay LEDs are mostly drop shipped from China. Mine are in stock and ready to purchase. You can also see the fixtures for yourself before purchasing them.

3. There's a 2 year manufacturer's warranty. This means that if there's a defect I will replace the lights or get it repaired for you. The ones on Amazon/Ebay need to shipped usually at your cost to China and there's no telling if you're going to each reach anyone.

If there's other questions please let me know.
      Last edited by dom_michael; 11-30-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Radman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Need admin to contact me

I am:
      Crazy

Typically these come with 119 1 W LEDs rounded off at 120....

You state 56 + 56 = 112... means you have one less row than most other fixtures...? and 8 less watts or is this a typo? I'm also assuming that there are two curcits one for each color LEDs....

How is warrantly work handled??? local or ship to china?

How loud are the fans?

any pics of heatsink?
      Last edited by Radman; 08-23-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It's not a typo. There are 112 LEDs. The power consumption is actually 124W with both sets of lights on. There are slight power losses through the LED drivers and as a result of the heat that's being generated. LED drivers are not 100% efficient. The button lights and fans account for the additional wattage. There are 2 separate circuits. With these units you're getting true 1W to each LED.

To be more accurate these can be called 124W fixtures but the standard is to call them 120W.

Warranty if local. If there's a defect then bring it back to me for 2 years. The warranty doesn't cover misuse or water damage. Also, if the units are modified in any way the warranty is void.

The fans are temperature controlled and I barely notice them on but you can check for yourself.

I don't have pictures of the heatsink but I can take one apart and take pictures. I'll have them posted soon.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

I don't want to thread jack, but... A question;
      ... are you stocking these to sell (non group buy)? Or are you only selling two fixtures?
      (I might have some interested parties, that don't want the version I have ordered and can send them your way depending on your answers)

BTW, hang on for the ride. You'll get a TON of questions from those interested. As well as lots of lurkers. I like to share my knowledge of LED Chips that I've acquired, so it doesn't bother me. I hope you have the same patience, and sharing ability. It's what makes Reefers what they are!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 08-23-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey Johnny...I'm stocking these to sell and I have 18 at the moment. It sounds like you did a lot of research on your units. I'm happy to try and answer any questions but I really think LEDs are the way to go especially in terms of the costs to operate and lower temperatures. I was a die-hard metal halide guy (as you probably remember from the PFO ballasts) for a long time but after using the LEDs I'm switching everything over. Is it ok to defer any questions I get that I can't answer to you? Thanks for the referrals.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by dom_michael View Post
      Hey Johnny...I'm stocking these to sell and I have 18 at the moment. It sounds like you did a lot of research on your units. I'm happy to try and answer any questions but I really think LEDs are the way to go especially in terms of the costs to operate and lower temperatures. I was a die-hard metal halide guy (as you probably remember from the PFO ballasts) for a long time but after using the LEDs I'm switching everything over. Is it ok to defer any questions I get that I can't answer to you? Thanks for the referrals.
      Die hard MH is right... but me too, has "seen the light" ... so yes, very cool that your helping others by keeping them in stock. 18? Wow... that's a costly order!!

Of course you and I can lean on each other for information, knowledge sharing... just as I have on others during my research. And I don't have a problem helping answer questions if it comes down to it... I'm no "expert", but I have developed a lot of info!

LEDs are the only solution for large applications and hot environments IN MY OPINION. I just miss my halide shimmer!! Maybe I'll have to order an LED Bullet type fixture for shimmer alone! .... good luck with your sales, and I'll send peeps your way if they desire a 2 circuit/2 color fixture! (as I've also done here for you and Larry specifically; http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=11)
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 08-23-2011 at 01:11 PM.

coralreef2012 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hey michael,, thank u for the Led bro..

hey michael. thank u for the Led bro,, i love them,, the blue and white combination is soo much better then anything i have ever tried.. I place ur led over my frag tank, and man do they sell.. i love these led.. and ur price is really fair too.. i thought u were expensive when i found the exact same led on ebay for 160 now after doing some research i realize ur's is the best out their in the market.. i hope u can still give me a small discounts like u did before. anyway iam looking to order 2 more.. and i have a friend who want to stop by ur works and check them out ,, he is looking to order 3 for his 145G tank,, what u think? does he need 3 or 2.. soo 250.. that's out the door right? and what happend if i buy urs and i decided to sell them.. is the warranty still holds.. .. man u got the best stuff at the best price.. i can't wait to stop by ur work again and buy some more stuff ,, u are like a used ,, UCSD department with quality goods,, minus the education. Just Reef store. simple and educational..

ricenoodle is offline Registered User
      My status is: Cube Addict

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dom, do these fixtures have the 4 uv led built in to make the colors pop more? If you're unsure, look at your fixture, you should see 4 dimmed led in a square pattern on the bottom side. That's a fair price though, I am a believer after switching a year ago.

LarryM is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by dom_michael View Post
      It's not a typo. There are 112 LEDs. The power consumption is actually 124W with both sets of lights on. There are slight power losses through the LED drivers and as a result of the heat that's being generated. LED drivers are not 100% efficient. The button lights and fans account for the additional wattage. There are 2 separate circuits. With these units you're getting true 1W to each LED.

To be more accurate these can be called 124W fixtures but the standard is to call them 120W.

Unfortunately that is what some of the deceptive manufaturers are trying to push. My understanding is the standard for lighting is how many watts of light are being used By the LAMP not the Circuit.. same with T-5 and MH. You dont call a 150W mh a 250 because its power supplies and wiring use 250W (this is not actuality but just following above example) The original 120W LEDs use 119 1W LEDs and to shave a little in costs some manufacturers went to the 112 but did not change wattage. So in reality this is a 112 watt fixture marketed as a 120 whic is a 6% loss vs manufacturers that make 119 LED units called 120's. 6% loss in light is quite a bit.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hi Larry,

What's the power factor on the 119 LED units? I don't know if I totally agree that the number of LEDs were lowered just to save on costs. This units PF is >0.97 which is pretty efficient. I believe the number of LEDs were reduced to account for the increase in efficiency to each LED as well as the cost savings. Let me know what you think.

I am:
      Geeky

... each manufacturer told me that the 119 chip panels are newer panel designs, and the 112 chip panels are older designs. That some of the manufacturers don't want to purchase the newer mold and also don't think the 7 less LEDs make such a big difference in loss of light, to make it worth the new mold purchase. I bought it, as about 8 manufacturers told me the exact same thing.

Of the (4) 112W fixtures I have over my 240gal... I don't hear one coral complaining! I think it's enough for most Reefers needs, and if it's cause for alarm to anyone... then they need to look at more than just their lighting parameters with a fine tooth comb. Let alone what the LEDs have to shine through before they get to the corals themselves (for example, if you have covers over your tank). (IMO) There's so much more to think about, then 7 less LEDs in a panel. And if your going to worry about it, then you might want to upgrade to a better panel... better drivers... better LEDs....etc.etc. (see what I mean?! Where does it stop?!)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

OK...I think people need to try the lights to see the difference so I'm going to lower the price to $225 per unit to make it more affordable and I'll cover the tax. I want honest feedback after people have used the lights so I know if I should keep stocking them. I'll keep it at $225 till I run out of this batch. You're not going to find this fixture for cheaper elsewhere.

For those that already purchased the light for $250 I will refund you $25 so that it's fair.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information