• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Orphek led tubes?

Ace420 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Orphek led tubes?

Hello all, was wondering if anyone had any experience with these new t8 orphek led tubes? The fit in any t5 fixture with sleight adjustments..i want to have some hard corals eventually and was wondering if this product would work and if so how many bulbs (tubes) should I get? Thanks all

pescado is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have 4 @ 60" over a 60x18 - 24" deep tank. Have 2 more on backorder but not sure I'll need them.
      They are longer than standard T5 bulbs so will probably not fit in most stock fixtures. Mine are in a DIY retro rack so not a problem.
      I really like the color and light spread. Corals seem to improving over the T5s that these replaced, but honestly too early to tell what long term results will be.

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

Try the Sun Bright Tubes. They actually do fit in the T5 fixtures. The guy at RAP said you had to take out the T5 ballast if your gonna use a T5 fixture. They had some setup at RAP last year and from what I seen last year thats what I would go for if it was me. Thats just my opinion. From the demo everything looked top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0zWVIwwaI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5yy...watch_response

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1937732

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/04/04/s...d-its-awesome/

They are around 200-249 for 1 48" tube. Plus they do make an actual fixture they go into that has timers and what not built in. They are very pricey but from what I hear they are good.

pescado is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Seems like that's some pretty old info. The Reefbuilders link is from 04/09. Some of those people commenting aren't very positive about them either.

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by pescado View Post
      Seems like that's some pretty old info. The Reefbuilders link is from 04/09. Some of those people commenting aren't very positive about them either.

Never used them. Just heard great things and was impressed along with a huge group at RAP last year. The lights came out before the 2010 Show so yea 2009 sounds about right. Did you happen to check out the video of the par/wattage meter with the Sun Bright tubes burning? It was like what 600 par using like 130 watts. 300 par using 70w. Now thats crazy. Dunno how "true" it is or how long they last. I am not a 100% backer in LED's anyways. just giving another option for him to look at. Plus like you said that comment/post was years ago. I am sure they have advanced since then.
      Last edited by Acefspds; 10-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information