• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Epistar 120W LED fixture, from Halides to LEDs

av619 is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Any chance you will be getting to Aqua SD to see about borrowing their par.. Or are there any par readings for these on the net?

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by av619 View Post
      Any chance you will be getting to Aqua SD to see about borrowing their par.. Or are there any par readings for these on the net?
      AquaSD doesn't have a PAR meter, it's a LUX meter (see post here);
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showpo...82&postcount=3

I am however still waiting on a fellow reefer to stop by with a PAR meter so we can take some measurements.
      ... there is nothing on the "net" for these light fixture/panels.

As I mentioned, I'm ordering next week. No later than 7/29.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-22-2011 at 03:01 PM.

av619 is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Oh .. ok well i hope you get that par meter soon... i will not be ordering this time around but i am interested on the readings and maybe ordering in the future.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by av619 View Post
      Oh .. ok well i hope you get that par meter soon... i will not be ordering this time around but i am interested on the readings and maybe ordering in the future.
      I hear ya. However, the PAR meter isn't on my "hot priority" list being I don't have anything to compare it to anymore. Not without re-installing my Halide/T5 combos and I'm not sure I am so gung-ho to do that. Especially when the tank is doing so well under these LEDs. The only reason would be to satisfy other viewers watching these LED threads.... and I'm not sure what that'll tell anyone, other than they put out! (But most anyone with LEDs already know's that) ... like I said, it's more for the non-LED owners.

A PAR reading, with nothing to compare it to... is, just a PAR reading. You need like for like comparisons to see just how well or not the LED panel is doing. There's so many variances, that each tank will be different in terms of needs or actual output. If a "general" PAR reading is what your after, it'll be what any other 112-119 LED panel puts out with a similar spectrum.

And no pressure, there'll be more orders down the road I'm sure!!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-22-2011 at 03:15 PM.

NickSDC is offline Registered User
      My status is: We will miss you Larry!

I am:
      Tired

Shoot me a PM on price if it's under $200

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by NickSDC View Post
      Shoot me a PM on price if it's under $200
      It's not possible. Not with the custom config, 4 circuits, 3 LED colors, and the brand of LEDs adding the shipping, and bank transfer fees.

If you want a 2 cord, 2 color panel... plain jane with cheap parts, no problem. But that's not what this thread or the panels I've ordered are all about. I did extensive research to get what I wanted... for those wanting under $200 lighting, go get on the buy with xL3ONx or whatever his name is. Just don't expect the ordering person to know much more than what the website says (and can't even repeat that accurately - as his other seemingly knowledgeable comments are near direct plagiarism from my PMs to him), and make sure you understand the parts being used and your warranty and how it's handled when problems arise. (can you tell I'm a bit bitter, or feeling "used" )

... there will be a day when these panels come waaaaay down. By then, we'll all have them!! LOL!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-22-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Radman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Need admin to contact me

I am:
      Crazy

So what is the repair and warranty policies???
      Do you have to ship back to China to get anything fix....

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Radman View Post
      So what is the repair and warranty policies???
      Do you have to ship back to China to get anything fix....
      3year manufacturer warranty.
      ... as I hope to never use it, they claim they'll pay return shipping to repair a fixture IF the problem is manufacturer defect. If the problem is minor I'm authorized to do those repairs. For example an LED chip, or driver replacement BEFORE sending back to the manufacturer. I do have spare parts on hand for this reason.

skratchiechan is offline Registered User
      My status is: Hmmm

I am:
      Friendly

so when's the group buy?

carleone90 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Im really interested in these leds! lmk some more info and price! i want to see if i can stop by and take a look if posssible! thanks..

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by skratchiechan View Post
      so when's the group buy?
      ... not sure if I'd call it a "group buy" anymore, but I'm ordering 8pcs this next week. 1 for myself, and about 6 for fellow reefers. I'll send you a PM Tae.

Quote Originally Posted by carleone90 View Post
      Im really interested in these leds! lmk some more info and price! i want to see if i can stop by and take a look if posssible! thanks..
      I'll PM you price. What more info would ya like?? If you search using my name as a the poster, you'll find I have about three threads with LOTS of information on them. And of course, stop by and check them out... see their quality, output coloring, and how they work. Just PM me with a day/time you'd like and I'll let ya know if I'll be here.

Also, don't forget Waves-In-Glass (Larry) sells 119chip panels and has other options as well. I honestly won't compare his, or my spec'd panels as that isn't my point of buying them for fellow reefers... but there are pros and cons to both types. More about personal preference I think than anything. I'll only talk about that if I can show you "why" I spec'd the panels the way I did. I've also mentioned it in previous posts in my "240 Build" thread. The panels I order, are 1 less row of LEDs (7 less watts)... or only 112chip panels.

The 112chip panels are an older "mold" if you will. And as I did my research, I only found a few companies willing to work within my spec of requirements. None of them had the 119chip mold at the time of ordering. They do have larger panels like a 150W, 300W, 600W etc... but, it wasn't what I was interested in at the time. So maybe down the road I'll have to order one of each to see just how large-and-in-charge those panels are... or how functional they can be.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-23-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Allan12 is offline Registered User
      My status is: enjoying my reef tank &

I am:
      Amused

Thinking switching so pm'ed you for price. Thanks.

I am:
      Geeky

I've got an order going in tomorrow morning.... as it looks like some fellow reefers would also like to try the lights I've been using (or that I spec'd with 4 power cords).

The people who have seen these, often comment about how they look like others posting here on SDReefs or how they look like the ones hanging in AquaSD. VERY TRUE... they do look like them, and in some cases are nearly the same on the outside. However, this is just the outside shell that you are seeing and most all of these China based companies are using the same shell. I won't claim my insides are better then anyone elses, as I don't know... and that's not my intent. But please don't think we all have the same LEDs, JUST BECAUSE of the outside shell itself. Or don't think that the outside shell, tells you the brand or manufacturer's name or that it classifies them all made by one company. They are not.

I am:
      Geeky

The below has been completed. See this thread;
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=656633

I'm also asking to see if I can get these fans pre-installed into the fixture BEFORE it's shipped out of China. Being, the Nexus fan is made in China... and even wholesaled out of Korea... I hope it's possible. I should know more tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      Even though the fan noise doesn't bother me, I'm eager to try out the quieter "silent" fans that some mention online that are made for home computers.

I ordered (12) of the GeLID Silent8 FN-SX08-16, which is an 80mm 18Db fan.
      ... I couldn't beat the price, of $3.98 per fan.

Once they arrive, I'll have to remove the old fans, and solder in the new fans. I'm sure it'll take me a few hours due to the small wiring and screws/bolts and nuts. I sure hope it's worth the $60 additional money spent!

I'll update the thread once completed.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 08-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Dankirie is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Can you send me the info on those led's you have. Im running led right now but just not enough for the size of my tank and need to upgrade. Im interested in getting two if i can afford it. Thanks fellow reefer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information