• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Epistar 120W LED fixture, from Halides to LEDs

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Epistar/Swire 120W LED fixture, from Halides to LEDs

I'll write a very detailed review when I get a bit more time. But for now... here's the scenario;

I had (4) 250W halides burning over my tank. Heating my house, and my fish room (due to the ballast heat). Those were supplemented with (4) 36" 39W T5 HOs, in Actinic+ and Fiji Purple. The tank was only setup a couple weeks, and I decided to go LEDs!

The LED fixtures were ordered direct from China, using my source that I use for HID Lighting in the off-road world. I did A LOT of research on LEDs over the years, and within the last couple of months nailed down an LED color spectrum I'd want to use over my Reef tank. I spec'd out a design for the LED fixture, and ordered them up. 10days later, they were mounted in my canopy!

(Here was my initial post about my order)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      I'm officially pumped....

I just ordered (today) my new LED panels (from overseas).
      I spec'd them out to my needs, rather then buying what they normally sell to the masses. They say it'll take 5-7 days to build, and being they come DHL... it's a 3 day shipping timeframe. I should have my 4 panels in about 10days +/-

I'm sure this heat wave will be here for awhile, and I'm already over it. My sump room (my workout room - or 4th bedroom in my house) gets SUPER hot due to the chiller and the halide ballasts. And the tank is in my living room, where it too heats up the room from the halides. Just too darn hot... I can see I should be using my electrical meter as a fan too!! I'm sure it's spinning like no other.

The purpose of the LEDs for me is to;
      - Save money on electrical (less chiller running time, no halide ballasts)
      - Run the tank at cooler temps (no heat from halides)
      - Give the tank some extra color due to the LED colors I ordered. And hopefully be able to remove my fiji purple and actinic T5s I have running.
      - Remove the (4) T5 bulbs and ballasts

I did some homework on DIY kits, and their pricing. All-in-all it came out cheaper to order a complete panel. And, with it coming complete... all I have to do is plug it in.

I also ordered the panels with 4 elect. plugs.
      - Each plug will provide power to a circuit. That circuit will run 28 LEDs.
      - Each plug will get power from a power strip, that is off a timer. I can control each of the 4 circuits per panel independently. Coming on at a different interval.
      - 4 timers will control the 4 panels and their on/off times. They will come on and go off at the same EXACT times. No need to synchronize 4 individual timers (1 on each panel).
      - I have two circuits of white. So if it's too intense for all whites on at once, I can throttle back the intensity by not turning all the whites on.
      (of course if I had been using only one panel - a timer might be a cleaner all-in-one option. Rather than 4 cords running down the back of the tank)

I also ordered them with 4 individual switches.
      - Each switch will control a circuit.
      - no initial benefit other than to show friends the coloring each circuit adds to the corals, or to turn on/off manually.

COLORING of the LEDs;
      I don't like some of the panels on individuals tanks, due to the "too blue" problem I see with my personal taste. I like a white light, supplemented with the actinics and fiji purple in a bulb lit tank. So I opted to order my panels with 12,000K whites rather then the norm 14,000K. I almost went with 10,000K, but I think it'll look too yellow for my tastes. I'm right in between, or close enough. I also ordered them with 460nm blues and 440nm purples. Being the Fiji "purple" bulb is a combination of 440 spectrum and some red, I think it'll help the deep water corals and add some "pop" to the coloring.

The chips being used are a well known company called Epistar. They are one of the largest manufacturers of LEDs. Nice to know there's some history behind the components, and I'm not the guinea pig.

The panels will be in black, and have the standard 3 cooling fans. They'll come with no controllers or timers and be ready for install the second I unbox them.

Once I receive them, I'll take pictures. I'm going to take one apart, and take a bunch of pictures of it to document it's craftsmandship. I'll also do a full review of the quality of the build and how they illuminate my tank. If there's any details you'd like to see me cover in my review... or when taking photos, please let me know. I'd be happy to oblige.

... stay tuned. Tic-Toc!
      More info in my build thread;
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79260

And a HALIDE VS LED comparison here;
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80225

MORE REVIEW COMMENTARY COMING SOON!!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-17-2011 at 08:20 AM.

I am:
      Geeky

Upon arrival of the pre-ordered LEDs, I snapped some pictures;

(click on any picture to make it larger)

I picked up my box, from DHL... and started snapping some pictures before I installed them;

Here's one, unpackaged. You can see the four power cords that will connect to timers, and allow me to turn on each "circuit" as needed. It'll also help me control all 4 panels, so that they turn on/off in sync. You'll also notice I spec'd four switches as well. Always nice to be able to turn them on/off to see the difference each circuit makes;

I took them apart to see what's inside. And as expected, nothing too special but some LED chips, heat sinks, LED Drivers, a few fans, and some wiring. Overall, a simple design yet effective.;

Again, as I did my research I noticed most all overseas companies are using the same components and offering the same warranties. Some shine from the rest, being they'll make whatever you ask. Some won't, and therefor I found one that did and for a good price. Their shipping pricing was good too! To top it off, they sent me a "spare parts kit", that entailed 15 LED chips, and an LED Driver. GREAT company to order from!

And you know these companies know what they are doing. It's not their first rodeo... as all these lights are, are morphed GROW lights. Basically, someone figured out that you can change the LED spectrum to what a Reef Tank owner needs, and the LED Light Fixture market just grew by leaps and bounds. I know of guys ordering these types of fixtures since 2006! So the manufacturers have to be doing something right. Or, some of them anyway!

They also come with a hanging kit. Yet I chose to mount them to alum. angle and make it simple. I don't have a lid on my canopy, so "hanging" was out of the question;

bobmonkey11 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

how much did those things run you?

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by bobmonkey11 View Post
      how much did those things run you?
      PM'd you the answer. Out of respect for some selling on the site, I don't like to post the prices. Or at minimum, I try not to.

Tron87 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

id like a pm too please

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

me too please....thanks

I am:
      Geeky

Even though the fan noise doesn't bother me, I'm eager to try out the quieter "silent" fans that some mention online that are made for home computers.

I ordered (12) of the GeLID Silent8 FN-SX08-16, which is an 80mm 18Db fan.
      ... I couldn't beat the price, of $3.98 per fan.

Once they arrive, I'll have to remove the old fans, and solder in the new fans. I'm sure it'll take me a few hours due to the small wiring and screws/bolts and nuts. I sure hope it's worth the $60 additional money spent!

I'll update the thread once completed.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 08-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.

av619 is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Can i get a PM too?

bbandu is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      My status is: .

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Johnny can you send me the info on these leds
      Its all about MTS
      Larry

150g, 60 gal sump, G3 Protein Skimmer, 2 Koralia Evo 1400's,2 Koralia Evo 750's, 20g ATO, 3 - 120w LarryM Led's configured 35 - 16000K, 28 - 14000K, 28 453nm blue and 28, 468nm blue.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75141

60g cube, 20g sump, Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer with 2 mp10's and 120w led.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...00-60g-upgrade

luv4qt1004 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

same here johnny!

evee alcantar is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hey johnny real nice, nice and clean and the color spectrum is cool.

jmekte is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Smile lights

hi can you also send me the info for these light thank s for all of the great information

I am:
      Geeky

Thanks Evee.

All PMs sent.

ReefTank123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Please post or PM the name of the company (and Web site link). We will add to our list, if we don't yet have them. TIA.

I am:
      Geeky

For those that PM'd me... or anyone else interested;

I'll be placing an order for these same 112 chip panels, within 10 days from now. I need another for my FOWLR, and I have a couple others interested in ordering for their tanks. IF your interested, and in need... PM me, and we can discuss the details.

If you'd like to come see these panels over my 240, to view their color and quality... don't hesitate to PM me and schedule a time to come take a look. I'm happy to show them off, and excited to have LEDs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information