• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Considering LEDs? Here's my take on it (Halides VS LEDs)

Waves in Glass is offline Registered User
      My status is: Providing outstanding Customer
      Service

I am:
      Happy

I dont have an issue with your process,,, I was just a little miffed that you made a comment before your reference. I dont think you even needed to put the referenced link there.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Waves in Glass View Post
      I dont have an issue with your process,,, I was just a little miffed that you made a comment before your reference. I dont think you even needed to put the referenced link there.
      I PM'd you...

I am:
      Geeky

FOLKS....
      I'm again ordering some more LED lighting fixtures (as I've posted about here, or in my threads), and need to bring my order up for a MOQ (minimum order quantity). If anyone needs a nice unit, with 4 switches, 4 cords, and 3 different color LEDs (12000-14000K white, 440nm purple, 460nm blue) in one (112w unit) fixture.... let me know.

Price is $240 shipped, with taxes and shipping
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 09-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      FOLKS....
      I'm again ordering some more LED lighting fixtures (as I've posted about here, or in my threads), and need to bring my order up for a MOQ (minimum order quantity). If anyone needs a nice unit, with 4 switches, 4 cords, and 3 different color LEDs (12000-14000K white, 440nm purple, 460nm blue) in one (112w unit) fixture.... let me know.

Price is $240 shipped, with taxes and shipping
      I've been asked by a couple of people to place another order.

ANYONE want to get in on this, LED fixture is $240 (all included = tax and shipping).

(want specs?? Check this thread; http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...4&postcount=11 and read up!!!)

I am:
      Geeky

Not sure if anyone is interested... but, I've gotten another order of these LEDs, and I've changed them up a bit. Since my original purchase, I've asked the manufacturer to change the following;
      • removable 110V power cords (you can add a longer cord if needed)
      • rocker on/off switches instead of green push button (sturdier)
      • 4 sided ventilation (better cooling)
      • upgraded fans (quieter)

Let me know if your interested in an order. Price went up, they are now $265.00 each (that includes taxes, shipping, etc).

Here's some updated pictures of the units;
      (images are thumbnails, click on them to view larger)
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 12-24-2011 at 01:08 PM.

crbeck is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hmmmm i think that would be overkill for my biocube 14, i want to do leds for it though

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by crbeck View Post
      hmmmm i think that would be overkill for my biocube 14, i want to do leds for it though
      Overkill? Heck ya! With all 4 drivers, YES. The nice thing about these, is you can turn on... only what you want to. (28) LEDs at a time. It might even be too much with just the white/blue on... as that's 56 1W LEDs.

xL30NxCREATORX is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by crbeck View Post
      he can probably order a 60w unit and still be too much but cheaper.

crbeck is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

think im just going to use the ecoxotic panorama pro led module, 19watts with 12000°K White/445nm Royal Blue, and i can just screw in on to the reflector already used for the biocube. Im not much of a diy when it comes to electronics and electricity, then i would have used this kit, http://www.aquastyleonline.com/categ.../DIY-LED-Kits/

I am:
      Geeky

For those who aren't sure of PAR output....
      I tested my LED panels for PAR, using an Apogee PAR Meter.
      (however, please note this meter has not been calibrated... it was used OUT OF THE BOX. And for LED to LED comparison only)
      ... I'll calibrate the PAR meter once it's nice and sunny outside.

I put together a quick image, with some results (see below).
      Take note, that my tank has MANY shaded spots and my measurements were taken in the same spots... however, with the only change being I removed (2) 112W light fixtures and installed (2) 120W light fixtures. The 112W fixtures are using 112 1W LEDs where the 120W fixtures are using 40 3W LEDs. The only difference that really might stand out, is difference in the optics of the two lights (and at the time of posting this, I can't remember which I ordered - I'll look it up shortly)

I must note;
      The NEW LEDs have 420nm UV (purple) in them, and are noticeably dimmer than all the other LEDs in the fixture. My older 112W LED fixtures use 440nm UV (purple), and to the naked eye... look blue. You can ONLY tell they are purple by the coral coloring in the tank (when you turn off the 460nm blue LEDs). Upon a visual inspection of the old LED fixtures, the output of the 440nm is NOT any different then the 460nm LED. Which makes me think it's the reasoning for my newer LED fixtures to have less PAR... and I'd have to chalk it up to the 420nm LEDs being the problem. Also, they don't put out enough light to cast a purple hue on the corals like my old fixtures did... which doesn't make me as happy. SO.... I'm ordering 440nm 3W LEDs for my new LED fixtures, and will swap them out once they get here next week. I'll again... take a PAR reading to see how the fixtures read in comparison to previous setup, and older LED fixtures. ... I needed to clarify the UV (purple) issue due to the PAR readings in the comparison.

OLD 112W fixtures are made up of;
      56 12K White
      28 460nm blue
      28 440nm UV (purple)

NEW 120W fixtures are made up of;
      20 12K White
      10 460nm blue
      10 420nm UV (purple) ...these are just too low on the spectrum, to be used as anything but moon lights.

Once I swap out the LEDs, the new 120W fixtures will consist of;
      20 12K White
      10 460nm blue
      10 440nm blue

The two measurements; 620 and 630, are with the PAR meter sitting just above water level.

Use for reference only (the tank picture, is an old picture I had... and NOT of the new LEDs installed);
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 03-17-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Bubblehead is offline Registered User
      My status is: Happy

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So Johnny, did you get the increased shimmer that I believe motivated this change in the first place?

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
      So Johnny, did you get the increased shimmer that I believe motivated this change in the first place?
      Yes sir!! Lots more shimmer. Noticeable improvement. Was it worth the upgrade...?! Jury is still out on that one. There's pros and cons to both setups.

OneBigTurbo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey JohnnyAir, though I ask u why u are into such a small set up for ur 240g speaking single 1 diot vs having 10w or 20w led that come with 9 diots which will produce more light at a cheaper cost. Here's my first DYI I did at my house. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwe4...e_gdata_player
      This was last year haven't done any updates as of this year with my set up its at 95% complete

---
      I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ofxdvw

Vince is offline Site Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Johnny what a well put together thread--lots of info. Nice job brotha!!

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigTurbo View Post
      Hey JohnnyAir, though I ask u why u are into such a small set up for ur 240g speaking single 1 diot vs having 10w or 20w led that come with 9 diots which will produce more light at a cheaper cost. Here's my first DYI I did at my house. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwe4...e_gdata_player
      This was last year haven't done any updates as of this year with my set up its at 95% complete

---
      I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ofxdvw

Diots?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diots
      ... or DIODES?? (light emitting diode = LED)

I'd tell you I want the coverage of multiple 3W LEDs spread across 96" of tank. PLUS... 10W or larger LEDs get pretty darn hot in comparison to 3w, and have horrible coverage in comparison (very spot beam). (3) 3 Watters, would cover much better then (1) 10 Watter. Plus, I have a better colorarion... using 3 colors of LEDs.

Consider this; I currently have 480 watts of LED power. Spread evenly over 96 x 24" of tank.

If I used your 10W LED idea, I'd have to buy (48) 10W LEDs, plus drivers... and parts to build the apparatus over the tank. I'd have to build at minimum, three to four rows of LEDs from side to side. If 4 rows, that's only (12) 10W LEDs per row. Or an LED every 8". By looking at your video... There's lots of light gap in between the LEDs you have installed. Thus, I'd have a lot of areas that are shadowed in comparison to a 3W panel. As my 480W of LED power, is (160) LEDs spread out over a 96 x 24" area.

... see where I'm going with this?
      Last edited by specvjeff; 03-23-2012 at 10:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information