• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: clownfish with white stuff on fins

BenthicChick is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

clownfish with white stuff on fins

one of my new clownfish has white stuff on its dorsal fin and one of its side fins. It looks almost like little pieces of shrimp sticking to it but I really don't think that's what it is(just trying to give an idea of what it looks like). Does anyone know what this is and what I should do about it? The tank had no other fish in it for about 8 months before I got this clown pair about a week ago. The bigger clown looks fine.<br /><br /> What size is your tank (gallons)?: 125<br /><br />How long has your tank been running?: 1.5 yrs<br /><br />What kind of lighting are you running (PC, T5, Metal Halide, etc.) and what is the wattage?: MH<br /><br />Do you currently dose your tank with anything?: No<br /><br />What changes have you made to your tank recently (~1 month)?: Just added fish after a long time of no fish, only inverts.<br /><br />Please list the fish in your tank: 2 clown fish<br /><br />

AquaticLifeTropicals is offline Site Sponsor - LFS
      My status is: Covered In Salt

I am:
      Piratey

Little white bumps uh.oh. Could be the Ick.

Common (& possibly deadly) on newly acquired fish. Search "Marine Ick" in google for more info and to confirm with pictures. Might also be good to post a pic here so the other reefers can confirm the suspicion.

You tank parameters could be suspect. Make sure all parameters are good. Perform a partial water change.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by SDAquariumRock View Post
      Little white bumps uh.oh. Could be the Ick.

Common (& possibly deadly) on newly acquired fish. Search "Marine Ick" in google for more info and to confirm with pictures. Might also be good to post a pic here so the other reefers can confirm the suspicion.

You tank parameters could be suspect. Make sure all parameters are good. Perform a partial water change.
      Great... got rid of ick and didn't get fish for 8 months because of it. I did a water change right before and the day I got the fish. How should I treat them? Is there any way besides copper? Its not little bumps... I guess I'd say its more of a glob of white. I don't see it anywhere but the dorsal and 1 side fin.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Hope my other clown doesn't get it =(... I never have luck with clown fish. Just got them at pet kingdom last friday...

rodbuster229 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chillin

I am:
      Hungry

What helped me with ich was seachem garlic guard with two other powders I forget the name but they worked for me when my tanga had ich the only place I saw that product was aw you might want to try that

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by rodbuster229 View Post
      What helped me with ich was seachem garlic guard with two other powders I forget the name but they worked for me when my tanga had ich the only place I saw that product was aw you might want to try that
      I'm setting up a QT tank with copper right now.. is that garlic stuff something you use all the time in food? I'd like to start using preventative measures.. seems like I get fish with ich all the time... and I've been taking good care of this tank...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Am I going to have to wait 3 more months now before I put anymore fish in the 125g the clowns were in? how likely is it that this stuff spread throughout the tank already? I'm so bummed... fish looked fine to me until today... the other one looks ok still but gunna treat it just in case...

I am:
      Hungry

Yea I'd say it could be used as a preventative measure also the treatment is garlic guard focus and metronidazole. Soak the food in these 3 things and feed for 14 days and it's supposed to kill the ich on the fish. Good luck

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by rodbuster229 View Post
      Yea I'd say it could be used as a preventative measure also the treatment is garlic guard focus and metronidazole. Soak the food in these 3 things and feed for 14 days and it's supposed to kill the ich on the fish. Good luck
      ok, Ive also heard of using straight garlic to soak the food in, anyone comfirm that? Also, How long should I keep the fish in the copper QT? Should I try feeding garlic soaked food in the copper QT?

I am:
      Piratey

Great... got rid of ick and didn't get fish for 8 months because of it. I did a water change right before and the day I got the fish
      -Always QT fish first. All fish will have a compromised immune response during acclimation. If Ick is present in the tank water or on the fish it could easily show during this transition.

I guess I'd say its more of a glob of white.
      -I don't have much experience with this. But you might want to look up Marine Velvet. Make sure that this is not a possibility. (very scary).

and I've been taking good care of this tank...
      -That might be... but still.. something is suspect here. If you keep having these problems I would examine your testing, acclimation, QT and any other method of husbandry. It's not that common to continually run into disease in a perfectly kept tank. What are your Nitrate levels? I bet its something really simple that is being overlooked here.

-Purchase a UV sterilizer or a Diatom filter. Both will get rid of the ick in the water (not in the live rock). I have had a allot of luck in the past with the diatom.

I am:
      Hungry

+1 on velvet possibility

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

I don't think it is that from what I looked up, but even if it is it said to treat with copper, which is what I'm doing. Now all I can hope is that it works, keep dosing... etc... I guess my main concern now is how long I should wait before putting them back into the 125g(if they make it through QT)

Last time I had ich I was told they can last in the tank for months... so if I put the fish back in like 2 weeks I guess that means they're likely to get it again?

rudy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

It's probably Brooklynella, it's common in WC clownfish.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
      It's probably Brooklynella, it's common in WC clownfish.
      thanks for the insight... unfortunately sounds like copper isnt the best treatment for this, and from the looks of it, this could be what I have... guess I'll have to check out that formalin stuff.... =( bummed.

I am:
      Piratey

You can also try Hyposalinity methods on the fish as well. If you have no other animals (corals, inverts, etc) in the tank, this might be a good idea there as well.

If it's not velvet, its likely just ich. Or as Rudy said "Brooklynella." Which is basically a common form of clownfish ich.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information