• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Generation 3 LED Fixtures!!!

Moii-F is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i have chips lol ahahah umm i just want 48'' stripp monn light led's where is the best place?? an price ??

ReefTank123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

LEDs – color temperature, spectrum, CRI

LEDs – color temperature, spectrum, CRI
      --------------------------------------------
      (However the spectrum in your sale looks like a plant grow light. 6500 is what works for freshwater or a refuge growing Algae)Where are the 10000K -20000K availability that Reef aquarist currently use... an extra cost to get to a good reef spectrum?
      ---------------------------------------------
      It is generally accepted that 6500K with a CRI of 100 is the color of natural sunlight at mid-day. Some will say 5500K. We note that some manufacturers call 6500K, White, or Pure White, and for some, Cool White starts at 6500K.

The basic light in the group buy is clearly half whites AND half blues for a 10K/12K overall fixture. The fixture is NOT “6500”. The 2-watt LED fixtures herein are NOT limited to 6500K whites. 10K and 12K are also available.

The Whites are broad spectrum. The quality and relative value of Epistar LEDs are well known and the spectral distribution is published. It has been noted many times in this forum and elsewhere that makers and sellers of LED fixtures are often unwilling to disclose key information – the maker of the LED diodes, spectral distribution, relative radiant power, etc.

Orphek: “We know that you're tired of your LEDs lacking a full spectral profile, and not rendering purple, red, and orange how they should be. Our diode boasts a complete spectral profile of 400nm-760nm - no LED color debate here!”

ATI: “Say hello to the new ATI Purple Plus T5 lamp. ATI’s answer to the popular KZ Fiji Purple provides a blue spectrum that mirrors ATI’s Blue Plus lamp, but also provides some nice warm spikes in the 600 – 700 range.”

MCP Research: “If you’re keeping corals or inverts that live in atolls or shallow tide pools, then 5500K or 6500K bulbs is really the optimum choice. Fish look good under these bulbs. Your tank looks very bright, though most people see this as a yellow-tinged light.

Aquarium bulbs are now available in a wide variety of color temperatures. In the last few years, 20,000K bulbs have become very popular. They simulate color temperatures at ocean depths beyond 15 meters. Most all of the tropical corals and inverts sold into the trade don’t live at these depths. But people like the blue color of these lights, despite the fact that they are not optimal for coral growth. Most commercial coral farming operations use 5500K and 6500K bulbs.”

AI: “Each module consists of 24 LED lamps grouped into a bank of 8 lenses or pods each containing one Cree XP 6500K "Full Spectrum" LED lamps.
      SDR Packard: “The AIs are the gold standard at the moment for LED reef lights.”
      SDR LarryM: “AI has a lot of research and technology going for it”
      We note that AquaIllumination (and many others) employ a 6500K white in their well-received LED fixtures. The argument has been made that the AI fixtures are dimmable offering the ability to have nothing more than a far blue light. What’s the point of the whites then to begin with?

As to the trend toward aquacultured and farmed corals. ORA, one of the better known and a reputable coral farmers, employs greenhouses, shallow tanks, and natural sunlight. Would it be best then to keep their corals under far blue lights?

A statistical analysis of the tank profile of SDR users and that of any other reef forum clearly shows, “mixed reef”. Some basic fish, corals, and inverts, kept between 12 and 22 inches in their display tanks. A mixed reef tank deeper than 30” is rare. Reef keepers don’t keep just deep water corals that they KNOW have been collected from deep waters.

What about the fish?
      Carl Strohmeyer: “The wavelengths that are beneficial for many animals such anemones as well as plants benefits fish in proper assimilation of nutrients as well as aiding in an balanced Redox Environment. Generally a lamp/light around 6500 Kelvin temperature will provide this (and many lights employed by aquarists do not meet these simple basics).”

6500k “works” for algae? Many mixed reefkeepers keep tangs and other grazers.

Many reefers simply do not like the bluish look of high temp blue lights. At last year’s RAP, the Quality Marine (QM) DT was the hit of the show. The system employed exactly the color mix of LEDs in this group buy. How do we know the look was preferred? The tank had a crowd all day long and when polled, attendees overwhelmingly preferred the bright 10K/12K look to some of the neighboring 14K/20K frag only tanks where frag sellers were trying to highlight the fluorescent colors in some of their corals – almost a “black light” appearance.
      [url]www.ReefTank123.com[/url]
      Product and practice evaluation systems. 150 gal mixed reef, RK2 skimmer, Iwaki, Vortech. 180 gal custom Starphire mixed reef.

Nick_Kun is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Moii-F View Post
      i have chips lol ahahah umm i just want 48'' stripp monn light led's where is the best place?? an price ??
      Chips and salsa, yes please

ReefTank123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBoo View Post
      RT123 - A salient and important point is made above. If you have any affiliation with Ace, Stonyreefs, any other business Ace has and/or this group buy, you should edit your first posting here and make that clear. It is very important for all those reading this post (and there are a lot - look at the number of views) to understand whether you have a vested interest or not. Other than a few subtle references to "we" and 'Ace asked me to take a look and respond', it cannot be readily ascertained exactly what your interest, if any, is here.

As for the distinction between group buy and someone who imports lights and sells them with a resale license, etc., you do raise a valid point, but it certainly raises another fundamentally important question in the discussion/debate at hand - what is this posting? A group buy (traditionally meaning all participants make separate and distinct arrangements with the seller, but their purchases are all tracked together, ostensibly to gain greater discounts in price than if purchased apart from one another, such as a group buy from BRS), someone purchasing a number of lights themselves after pre-sale deposits/guarantees, bringing in and then distributing (same/similar to what LarryM and NickSDC did), someone just selling merchandise, or something else. If someone was to buy one of these lights, who do they make payment to? If there is a problem with one of the lights and someone wants to press for their money back, to whom should they make such a request?

Last, I emailed Ace yesterday, but haven't heard back. If you are affiliated with him/this transaction - I have a friend who has reviewed the lights available from NickSDC, LarryM and this posting. He is curious about the PAR ratings on this light, since it was information given for the first two, but not the fixtures described here. If that data is available, or can be made available, please let me know. He's looking for 4 fixtures, but would like to see the ratings before he plunks down a grand.

Paul
      ReefTank123 holds no interest in, and has no affiliation with either Ace, StonyReef, or LarryM or any other posters in the thread, or any other members of SDR.

ReefTank123 has purchased significant sums of products and services from SDR Members over the past few years. We have purchased from both Ace and LarryM, +1 for the transactions.
      [url]www.ReefTank123.com[/url]
      Product and practice evaluation systems. 150 gal mixed reef, RK2 skimmer, Iwaki, Vortech. 180 gal custom Starphire mixed reef.

SoCalBoo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ace and I have talked via PM a few times over the last few days. It is a true group buy - he is making no money. He is just trying to secure the minimum order for the price stated.

Thanks for the clarification.

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by ReefTank123 View Post
      ReefTank123 holds no interest in, and has no affiliation with either Ace, StonyReef, or LarryM or any other posters in the thread, or any other members of SDR.

ReefTank123 has purchased significant sums of products and services from SDR Members over the past few years. We have purchased from both Ace and LarryM, +1 for the transactions.
      That is correct. He is just a good friend of mine and a total information hot spot. He does alot of focus groups within the community and talks to alot of people.

Ace and I have talked via PM a few times over the last few days. It is a true group buy - he is making no money. He is just trying to secure the minimum order for the price stated.

Thanks for the clarification.
      This is true as well. I was showed a light and told about it. I liked it and thought others would like it as well. Not trying to make any money here just putting up a light that I thought others would like since it has a few options that isnt found in other fixtures. I have to order 10 to even make the buy. I could have marked them up but I wanted to show the love and not make a red cent on the buy.
      [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]55 Gal Uniquarium 2x54w Fiji Purple, ATI Blue+ Actinic - 100 lbs LR - Bare Bottom - Softie, LPS, SPS - Vortech MP40 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]28 Gal Nano Cube 150w 20K HQI - 30+lbs LR - 40+lbs LS - Softie Tank[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]14 Gal BioCube 8x3w LED Retro 4 x 6500k SemiLED (200lm @700mA, 60 Degree Optics ) 4 x 445nm SemiLED - Vortech MP10 - PNG True Perc Breeder w/ BTA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SandyBrown"]10 Gal 1.8w LED Strips - FOWLR Baby Onyx Clownfish Tank [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="Sienna"]05 Gal 1w LED Strip - Bare Bottom Freshwater KilliFish Tank[/COLOR] [/B][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][U][SIZE="3"]Acefspds[/SIZE][/U][/B]
      [B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]8[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

wrestle1952 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I don't want to add any fuel tto the fire but just seems that all the discussions prove one point. LED's are the future of lighting they are just not there yet. I know I plan on getting them when they are perfected. I asked how much it would cost to get an AI sytem for my 5 foot 100 gallon tank. I was told 4 @ 600 dollars apiece. That didn't count the mounting fixtures etc. LED's shouldn't cost as much as they do. They are simpler in make up than let's say a MH bulb or fluorescent bulb. They were used on watches in the 60's. Technology is not new. Right now companies take advantage of a public that wants the latest and greatest right now. Been in reefing since 1986. I've see a lot of wonder items drop in price after a few years.

Two Bit Scooter is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

+1 I'm just not willing to pay such a high premium. Sellers will tell you (and they might even be correct) that even at these high prices LEDs will be cheaper than T5s or MH over the life of the fixture, but I'm not buying it. It's like charging more for a Yugo than a Lambo because you'll save sooooo much in maintenance. Even if it was a 180mph Yugo...
      Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information