• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Generation 3 LED Fixtures!!!

ricenoodle is offline Registered User
      My status is: Cube Addict

I am:
      Set you mood here...

"Airplanes and light fixtures are two totally different things"? I Disagree. They performed different functions but electronics are electronics. I have been maintaining and fixing missile launchers for the Navy for 8 years now and even then they boil down to the simple electronic concepts of your home pc. A guy in a repair center just has a piece of paper and some training saying he's qualified to do so. What's to say someone that didn't went that route in their experience can't do a better job? I know if my LEDS went haywire for whatever reason, Larry would be the first person i contact because judging people by a piece of paper or where they work is how you will overpay. Why take your car to the dealership for a simple issues when your neighbor has been working on cars for 20 years? As far as housefires goes, why do we buy used equipment on this forum? The user could have misuse the equipment and it could burn your house down the next week after you buy a light fixture. Are you going to demand him to rebuild your house? Trust goes both ways. No need to hype up the "what if" concept to meet that 10 fixture limit man, keep it real.
      [B][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FF0000"]My Tank Build [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?131933-Ricenoodle-Red-Sea-Reefer-170"]http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?131933-Ricenoodle-Red-Sea-Reefer-170[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

SoCalBoo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Picking no 'sides' and no disrespect to anyone, but calling something Nth generation is implying that previous generations are inferior. Why would there be a new generation if it didn't (allegedly) improve on the prior generation?

If it is substantially different, it isn't the next generation - it is a different product and there is no reason to refer to prior products.

With that said, potential purchasers of any such products that cannot discern these less than subtle differences - caveat emptor (a little Latin is good for all).

ReefTank123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBoo View Post
      Picking no 'sides' and no disrespect to anyone, but calling something Nth generation is implying that previous generations are inferior. Why would there be a new generation if it didn't (allegedly) improve on the prior generation?

If it is substantially different, it isn't the next generation - it is a different product and there is no reason to refer to prior products.

With that said, potential purchasers of any such products that cannot discern these less than subtle differences - caveat emptor (a little Latin is good for all).
      The nth generation term is used within the same family by the maker of the LED, and not Ace. You are making the leap that the moniker is used in direct comparison to other fixtures from OTHER makers. Furthermore, the seller of the 119x1 fixture in question here took it personally! The term is used to denote latest models from the same maker.

Many LED makers have adopted the terminology, gen1, gen2, and and so on. Glance at two of the more popular for example, MaxSpect and AI. Even Reefkoi refers to the 119x1 fixture as Gen1. They didn't do so to aggravate Group Buy sponsors at SDR.

Many people who recently bought an Apple 3G for $200 are not happy that it is $49 now that the 4G is shipping. Apple didn't adopt the term 4G to draw fire from competitors.
      Last edited by ReefTank123; 01-22-2011 at 12:06 PM.
      [url]www.ReefTank123.com[/url]
      Product and practice evaluation systems. 150 gal mixed reef, RK2 skimmer, Iwaki, Vortech. 180 gal custom Starphire mixed reef.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

The only thing that I see Larry took to offense to was the fact that it was "implied" that these LED's are superior to previous LED's sold on SDR. I am not even interested in buying LED's but when I first read this thread that is the way that I took, now imagine someone that was selling LED's on here previously having someone say that the stuff that he can get is somewhat superior to ones that he sold. It wasn't even implied to cover the whole LED market, it was specifically targeted to those LED's sold on SDR. I believe that this thread has gotten somewhat out of hand but that is just my and who cares what I really think

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      The only thing that I see Larry took to offense to was the fact that it was "implied" that these LED's are superior to previous LED's sold on SDR. I am not even interested in buying LED's but when I first read this thread that is the way that I took, now imagine someone that was selling LED's on here previously having someone say that the stuff that he can get is somewhat superior to ones that he sold. It wasn't even implied to cover the whole LED market, it was specifically targeted to those LED's sold on SDR. I believe that this thread has gotten somewhat out of hand but that is just my and who cares what I really think
      The 119x1 seller and only critic of the 55x2 used the term, "bash". People can do a review of the threads and decide. Just shows how these forums can be helpful. There are other recent SDR Group Buy light sponsors that have not yet responded. Again, a quick glance shows another 119x1, 24x3, and some DIY lights.

It appears the very concept of what makes a Group Buy also added to the confusion. We have been asked to hit on more of the technical issues which we will do.
      Product and practice evaluation systems. 150 gal mixed reef, RK2 skimmer, Iwaki, Vortech. 180 gal custom Starphire mixed reef.

drainbamage is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ReefTank123 View Post
      We have been asked to hit on more of the technical issues which we will do.

so you're participating in the group buy as well or associated with Ace's businness (stonyreefs), or what? You seemed interested in how people associate with other posters as being of large importance when discussing things relating to this thread, so I guess I'm curious now.

And I stand by my Gen-10 comments- if these fixtures are 3rd gen, I can't wait for 10th gen as they're going to be amazing (I'm thinking onboard mini-nuke reactors to provide self-power, now that'd really save on the electric bill.)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

LEDs - optics

“and possibly even harm them due to spotlighting”

“Just if anyone wants clarification... the AI optics are a tri lense system with one blue and two white light in each optic... this spreads the light so you do not wind up with the spotlighting effect of separating the individual LEDs too far”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The contention is that the 55x2 fixture could “harm them due to spotlighting” because more intense bulbs are used in a wider pattern vs. the 119x1 fixture. If that were plausible, the the 24x3 AI fixture, the DIY here, http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73688 and the many other LED fixtures on the market could “harm”. These have much wider spacing of the diodes and narrower optics than the 55x2.

Again, the 40 degree AI optics AND the 70 degree optics are meant to narrow the beam vs. no optics. The 70 degree optics narrow less than 40, but DO NOT spread the light vs. no optics. Optics are NOT employed to reduce “spotlighting”, in fact it is just the opposite. AI does say their use of 70 degree lenses helps with coverage. Not to reduce spotlighting, but to get more coverage on the fringes of the fixture.

“The use of any optics will concentrate the lights more since without the lenses, the spread would be 120 degrees.” Joe Stuetelberg, Tech Support, AQUA ILLUMINATION.
      Last edited by ReefTank123; 01-23-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: replace "says" with "say"

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The nth generation term is used within the same family by the maker of the LED, and not Ace.
      I'm sorry, but that is just absurd. Didn't Ace call them 3rd generation? Didn't he refer to 1st and 2nd generation offerings on SDReefs, and refer to complaints he heard about them, and that this fixture cure/solved these complaints/issues? Absolutely - here's the cut and paste:

"Why buy Generation 3 over Generation 1 and 2? Everything you have seen up until now on SDR has been Gen1 or Gen2. In my opinion this is what makes Generation 3 soooooooo much better....."

Don't feed me or anyone else here that BS. The first posting completely refutes your statement. Get your facts straight.

Ace - I don't why this guy is fighting a battle here that isn't worth anyone's effort. Thanks for posting a light that you thought others would be interested in.

Larry - You certainly have a right to defend yourself. Whether direct or implied, the first posting certainly made the claim that the 2w fixture is superior to the 1w fixture. And subsequent postings certainly made the claim that a service center in California was better than you making repairs. If someone is going to make those claims, you (and others) have a right to vet those claims fully. Your offer to delete your posts if he changed his initial posting fair and appropriate - the right way handle it.

[edited because I wasn't playing nice]
      Last edited by SoCalBoo; 01-23-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

LEDs - the term, GenX

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBoo View Post
      I'm sorry, but that is just absurd. Didn't Ace call them 3rd generation? Didn't he refer to 1st and 2nd generation offerings on SDReefs, and refer to complaints he heard about them, and that this fixture cure/solved these complaints/issues? Absolutely - here's the cut and paste:

"Why buy Generation 3 over Generation 1 and 2? Everything you have seen up until now on SDR has been Gen1 or Gen2. In my opinion this is what makes Generation 3 soooooooo much better....."

Don't feed me or anyone else here that BS. The first posting completely refutes your statement. Get your facts straight.

Ace - I don't why this guy is fighting a battle here that isn't worth anyone's effort. Thanks for posting a light that you thought others would be interested in.

Larry - You certainly have a right to defend yourself. Whether direct or implied, the first posting certainly made the claim that the 2w fixture is superior to the 1w fixture. And subsequent postings certainly made the claim that a service center in California was better than you making repairs. If someone is going to make those claims, you (and others) have a right to vet those claims fully. Your offer to delete your posts if he changed his initial posting fair and appropriate - the right way handle it.

[edited because I wasn't playing nice]
      The post is clear, examples were given. Ace simply copied the 55x2 fixture collaterals. It is NOT his term. He did not make it up. It is NOT his fixture. He does NOT “use” the term. Nobody disputes that he wrote the word. He did not “use” the term to be critical of SDR Sellers personally.

As we have posted before, part of the confusion is that it appears Ace is a Sponsor of a Group Buy and his critic is an Importer and Seller. If Ace imported the same 112/119 light, sold the light as a retailer, and HE assigned (“used”) or branded it Gen3 to make a competitive comparison to other Gen1 lights sold on SDR, he would have a tough time.

The critic wrote,
      “And did you make up the GEN3 because I have asked a couple of suppliers and there is no GenX awareness.”

No, he did NOT make up the GEN3, and there is very clearly GenX awareness. The rather pervasive 112x1, and 119x1 fixtures (outlined in Nicks SDR Aug 2010 thread for example) are available from dozens of sources and are very clearly and commonly referred to as Gen1. The term, Gen1, is obviously not used to be critical of the same Gen1s sold on SDR.

The term, Gen3, is used by the maker of the 55x2 fixture, just like Apple uses 3G and 4G, and Reefkoi uses 1G, 2G, and 3G, and Maxspect, and so on, and so on. The 55x2 maker also offered essentially the same 112x1 and 119x1 fixtures which THEY also called Gen1. Subsequent improvements to the base model included optics and a wider variety of blues resulting in Gen2. Their Gen3 uses 2-watt Epistar LEDs, offers circuit protection diodes, etc. This maker no longer offers the 1-watt fixtures because of a variety of problems they make public. We still are puzzled why some makers and sellers of LED fixtures are unwilling to disclose the manufacturer and model of their LED diodes. This seems to be pertinent, if not crucial information to buyers.

The term Genx is widely used in this industry and many others. For example, http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20 sells the same 119x1 fixture which they call Gen1. They also use the term Gen3. At a glance, Ace’s Gen3 appears to be more value for less money than reefkoi’s Gen3.
      What would you want Ace to call them? It is reefkoi’s term, not Ace’s. If Ace were to sponsor a Group Buy for the Reefkoi Gen1 lights, he would be hard-pressed to refer to them as Gen3. If Ace were to sponsor a Group Buy of reefkoi’s Gen2 light, and say it was “better” than Gen1s sold on SDR, at least Reefkoi would be in agreement. No one would say Ace “used” the term Gen2 to impune SDR Gen1 lights. You can argue, if you want to, that the Reefkoi Gen2 lights are in fact inferior to their Gen1 lights which are the same lights sold on SDR.

We note also that it was 3 or more days after Ace’s post and a bump and many views before anyone said anything. Lastly, we appreciate your post in spite of the tone, language and insults. We simply disagree that the term, Gen3, was intended to “bash” an SDR Seller.
      Last edited by ReefTank123; 01-23-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Oh my, I don't know where to begin. Let's tackle it one by one - SEE BELOW IN CAPS.

The post is clear, examples were given. Ace simply copied the 55x2 fixture collaterals. It is NOT his term. He did not make it up. It is NOT his fixture. He does NOT “use” the term. Nobody disputes that he wrote the word. He did not “use” the term to be critical of SDR Sellers personally.

HE CERTAINLY DID REFER TO THE LIGHTS HE WAS PROMOTING ON THIS THREAD AS SOLVING ISSUES THAT HE AND OTHERS (FOCUS GROPUS?) PERCEIVED. EVEN IF HE DID NOT COME UP WITH THE TERM "3RD GENERATION", HE PUT IT IN HIS POSTING, SO HE MOST DEFINITELY "USED" IT. IN CASE YOU DISAGREE, I REFER YOU TO CALIFORNIA STATUTORY AND COMMON LAW FOR DEFAMATION AND SLANDER, WHICH SAY THAT IF YOU PUBLISH A STATEMENT, AND USE IT TO CRITIQUE OTHERS/OTHER WORKS, YOU ADOPT THOSE TERMS AS YOUR OWN AND ARE SUBJECT TO SCRUTINY AS SUCH. ADMITTEDLY, THIS IS A FORUM WHERE ARE DISCUSSING AN AQUARIUM LIGHT AND NOT AN ISSUE ABOUT SLANDER OR DEFAMATION, BUT IT IS A GOOD STANDARD TO FOLLOW...

YOU ARE VERY FOCUSED ON ACE NOT COINING THE TERM "GEN3". IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE CAME UP WITH THE TERM - IT IS GROSSLY IRRELEVANT. WHAT MATTERS IS HOW HE USED IT...AND HE USED IT IN A CRITIQUE OF PRIOR LED PENDANTS, WHICH HE REFERRED TO AS "GEN1" AND "GEN2". LOOKING AT MY INITIAL POST (WHERE THIS DISCUSSION BEGAN BETWEEN US), I SAID THAT BY THE VERY NATURE OF SAYING "GEN3" AND DISCUSSING "GEN3" IN RELATION TO "GEN1" AND "GEN2", IT IS INHERENT (OR IMPLIED, TAKE YOUR PICK) THAT HE IS SAYING THAT GEN3 IS SUPERIOR, IN WHOLE OR PART, TO PREVIOUS GENERATIONS. SO IF HE USED THE TERM "GEN3" AFTER HE READ IT ON A FORTUNE FROM A COOKIE, IT WOULDN'T MATTER - IT IS NOT WHERE THE TERM WAS DISCOVERED (OR CONCEIVED, IF NOVEL [NEW]), IT IS HOW IT WAS USED IN HIS POSTING, WHICH I SEE AS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS.

As we have posted before, part of the confusion is that it appears Ace is a Sponsor of a Group Buy and his critic is an Importer and Seller. If Ace imported the same 112/119 light, sold the light as a retailer, and HE assigned (“used”) or branded it Gen3 to make a competitive comparison to other Gen1 lights sold on SDR, he would have a tough time.

I HAVE NO SUCH CONFUSION. THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME, AND WAS NEVER RAISED IN MY POSTS.

BUT WHEN ACE SAYS THAT THE 3RD GENERATION CURES THE PROBLEMS THAT *HE* PERCEIVES, HE IS ABSOLUTELY USING THE TERM 3RD GENERATION TO DENOTE THAT THE 3RD GENERATION IS BETTER THAN PRIOR GENERATIONS. YOU CANNOT GET AROUND THAT FACT. IT IS CLEAR IN HIS FIRST POST. HE MADE IT A COMPETITIVE COMPARISON AT THAT POINT. ACE WAS SMART ENOUGH NOT TO MENTION ANY OF THE *1ST* OR *2ND* GENERATION LIGHTS SOLD ON SDREEFS (BY THE NAMES OF THE SELLERS) THAT HE REFERRED TO.

The critic wrote,
      “And did you make up the GEN3 because I have asked a couple of suppliers and there is no GenX awareness.”

No, he did NOT make up the GEN3, and there is very clearly GenX awareness. The rather pervasive 112x1, and 119x1 fixtures (outlined in Nicks SDR Aug 2010 thread for example) are available from dozens of sources and are very clearly and commonly referred to as Gen1. The term, Gen1, is obviously not used to be critical of the same Gen1s sold on SDR.

AGAIN, HE DIDN'T REFER TO THOSE WHO SOLD THOSE FIXTURES, BUT HE WAS CRITICAL OF THOSE FIXTURES IMPLICITLY (AND NOT SO SUBTLETY) BY STATING THAT THE 2W BULB IS SUPERIOR TO THE 1W AND THE 3W, AMONG OTHER CRITIQUES AND COMPARISONS. HE WAS CRITICAL OF THE LEDS FROM SDREEFS THAT HE DESCRIBED AS GEN1 AND GEN2 - IT IS RIGHT THERE IN HIS POST.

The term, Gen3, is used by the maker of the 55x2 fixture, just like Apple uses 3G and 4G, and Reefkoi uses 1G, 2G, and 3G, and Maxspect, and so on, and so on. The 55x2 maker also offered essentially the same 112x1 and 119x1 fixtures which THEY also called Gen1. Subsequent improvements to the base model included optics and a wider variety of blues resulting in Gen2. Their Gen3 uses 2-watt Epistar LEDs, offers circuit protection diodes, etc. This maker no longer offers the 1-watt fixtures because of a variety of problems they make public. We still are puzzled why some makers and sellers of LED fixtures are unwilling to disclose the manufacturer and model of their LED diodes. This seems to be pertinent, if not crucial information to buyers.

AGAIN, IF HE USES THE TERM AND USES IT TO BE CRITICAL OF PRIOR UNITS, HE IS ADOPTING THE TERM...."THIS IS WHAT MAKES 3RD GENERATION SO MUCH BETTER"...WAS THIS CUT AND PASTED FROM THE MANUFACTURER? NO - IT IS CLEAR THIS IS ACE'S OPINION. HE STATED IT. HE CONFIRMS THIS IN SUBSEQUENT POSTS. HE MAY NOT HAVE 'COINED' THE PHRASE, BUT HE IS USING IT TO CRITIQUE OTHER FIXTURES/TECHNOLOGIES - HE'S ON THE HOOK FOR USING THE TERM, REGARDLESS OF ITS ORIGIN.

The term Genx is widely used in this industry and many others. For example, http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20 sells the same 119x1 fixture which they call Gen1. They also use the term Gen3. At a glance, Ace’s Gen3 appears to be more value for less money than reefkoi’s Gen3.
      What would you want Ace to call them? It is reefkoi’s term, not Ace’s. If Ace were to sponsor a Group Buy for the Reefkoi Gen1 lights, he would be hard-pressed to refer to them as Gen3. If Ace were to sponsor a Group Buy of reefkoi’s Gen2 light, and say it was “better” than Gen1s sold on SDR, at least Reefkoi would be in agreement. No one would say Ace “used” the term Gen2 to impune SDR Gen1 lights. You can argue, if you want to, that the Reefkoi Gen2 lights are in fact inferior to their Gen1 lights which are the same lights sold on SDR.

I'VE GOT NO PROBLEM WITH HIM CALLING THEM GEN3. HE JUST NEEDS TO OWN UP TO THE FACT THAT HIS POST IS CRITICAL OF PRIOR LED FIXTURES SOLD ON SDREEFS (I.E. GEN1 AND GEN2). I BELIEVE THAT HIS POSTS DO OWN UP TO THAT FACT. I JUST CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY YOU CAN'T DO THE SAME AND, RATHER, CHOOSE TO DEFEND AN UNTENABLE AND CONTRADICTORY POSITION TO THE PERSON/THREAD THAT YOU APPARENTLY ARE TRYING TO DEFEND. I'VE GOT NO PROBLEM WITH ACE. IT IS YOUR POSTS THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH.

We note also that it was 3 or more days after Ace’s post and a bump and many views before anyone said anything. Lastly, we appreciate your post in spite of the tone, language and insults. We simply disagree that the term, Gen3, was intended to “bash” an SDR Seller.

I NEVER USED THE WORD BASH. THAT ARGUMENT LAYS WITH OTHER FORUM MEMBERS. MY TONE AND LANGUAGE ARE APPROPRIATE. I NEVER INSULTED YOU IN PRIOR POSTS, AND I HAVEN'T HERE. IF YOU FEEL SLIGHTED, THAT IS YOUR ISSUE, NOT MINE.

IN SUMMARY - HE USED GEN3 AND USED THE TERM TO CRITIQUE PRIOR LED FIXTURES SOLD ON SDREEFS THAT HE CHARACTERIZED GEN1 AND GEN2. POSTING #1 SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. WHETHER ACE THOUGHT UP GEN# ON HIS OWN, OR RECYCLED THE TERM, HE HAS USED IT AND HAS, ACCORDINGLY, ADOPTED IT.

I AM ASHAMED AT BOTH OF US FOR SPENDING SO MUCH TIME ON SOMETHING SO TRIVIAL AND OBVIOUS. GO BE WITH YOUR FAMILY. GO WALK YOUR DOG. GO COUNT THE GRAINS OF SAND IN YOUR TANK. ANY OF THE THREE WILL BE FAR MORE REWARDING THAN THROWING NON-SEQUITURS BACK AND FORTH HERE.

I HAVE SAID MY PEACE, AND SO HAVE YOU. PLEASE HAVE A NICE DAY AND LIFE. I WISH YOU WELL.

PAUL (NO NEED TO HIDE BEHIND A PSEUDONYM, RIGHT?)
      Last edited by SoCalBoo; 01-23-2011 at 10:34 PM.

LarryM is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

“and possibly even harm them due to spotlighting”

“Just if anyone wants clarification... the AI optics are a tri lense system with one blue and two white light in each optic... this spreads the light so you do not wind up with the spotlighting effect of separating the individual LEDs too far”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The contention is that the 55x2 fixture could “harm them due to spotlighting” because more intense bulbs are used in a wider pattern vs. the 119x1 fixture. If that were plausible, the the 24x3 AI fixture, the DIY here, http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73688 and the many other LED fixtures on the market could “harm”. These have much wider spacing of the diodes and narrower optics than the 55x2.

Again, the 40 degree AI optics AND the 70 degree optics are meant to narrow the beam vs. no optics. The 70 degree optics narrow less than 40, but DO NOT spread the light vs. no optics. Optics are NOT employed to reduce “spotlighting”, in fact it is just the opposite. AI does say their use of 70 degree lenses helps with coverage. Not to reduce spotlighting, but to get more coverage on the fringes of the fixture.

“The use of any optics will concentrate the lights more since without the lenses, the spread would be 120 degrees.” Joe Stuetelberg, Tech Support, AQUA ILLUMINATION.
      Jack,

Just to clarify my comment... I may have put it in my words before so this is from AQUA ILLUMINATION's published page (not just tech support... which are not always best to use as experts)
      "The AI Sol exclusively uses white Cree XP-G and blue/royal blue XP-E series LEDs with a combination of our proprietary 40 and 70 degree lenses, balanced specifically to achieve the greatest spread without sacrificing intensity."

It was found on this page under intensity and is where I got my earlier comment from. I read that they are using their lens to spread the overall available light. It does not say their lens increases the intensity.
      http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

Now can you accept what they published. you were provided with links that users have shown that leds can burn corals due to intense spotlighting and still continue to argue the issue. And my comment reworded and condensed is that separation can cause spotlighting, and intensity in a spotlight can cause burning. And BTW My verbiage was that intensity spotlighting can POSSIBLY harm corals. I don't think i ever said it will harm. And i have provided proof of the posibility...

let it go... the FACTS are there.

LarryM is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The rather pervasive 112x1, and 119x1 fixtures (outlined in Nicks SDR Aug 2010 thread for example) are available from dozens of sources and are very clearly and commonly referred to as Gen1. The term, Gen1, is obviously not used to be critical of the same Gen1s sold on SDR.
      Jack
      I disagree and would like to see the proof in a published article from someone in the LED industry. Not back end marketing and not just your hearsay or what a website is calling them.

Jack,
      you keep saying this and in saying WE have you finally confirmed you are a partner in this buy and not an innocent bystander inserting his opinion...Just because you are admitting your buyer has had problems in the past with their fixtures doe not mean others have (and they are not the same). This being an issue... now really why choose a manufacturer that admits they have problems manufacturing a product other manufacturer seem to do well with? You have yet to disclose your maker... why Not. So your facts can not be verified?
      And, using you anology, since I have had the manufacturer change the spectrum, circuit layout(several times), lamp arrangement, power controll configuration amongst other changes from the original product, that each becomes another generation? I dont think it works that way. It may change the model desifnation but that is about it. If it did I can assure you I must have a few gen10+
      As far as the LEDs... re-read.. or does you blindness to facts prohibit that. I clearly disclosed that my fixtures use Epistar LEDs in their 1W, 2W and 3W configurations. If you wish to have CREE lights those are available too as are other brands..In standard models Epistar has been chosen. so what is the beef here?

Jack
      Are you saying that you guys used reefkoi as you advertising terminology standard? Reefkoi does not set industry standards... Show me something from the LED industry to support your comments. ReefKoi does not even mention GEN1,2 or3. You have what I beleive taken out of context what they use a model numbers 1g,2g,3g. Reef koi does not even discuss generation inprovements on their site. You have in you zest just to disprove, decided to use bad information for your support.

For someone who does not even use or have even used (as you told me before) LEDs, You seem to be at a loss for FACTUAL support.

We note also that it was 3 or more days after Ace’s post and a bump and many views before anyone said anything.
      Well Jack,
      Maybe that is because this Critic, Me, LarryM could not beleive that the author of this post could stoop to falsly dissing products others have bought here on this forum... And has yet to be able to support those accusations. Again that is what was done, the majority has agreed. It took several days of considering, asking others perspectives of what they thought the post was saying, and finally coming to a conclusion that the way the original post was made was just too false with implications against past and current purchases. It was the authors decision to leave the posts and rebuttal public.
      Last edited by LarryM; 01-24-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
      Jack
      Jack,
      you keep saying this and in saying WE have you finally confirmed you are a partner in this buy and not an innocent bystander inserting his opinion...
      RT123 - A salient and important point is made above. If you have any affiliation with Ace, Stonyreefs, any other business Ace has and/or this group buy, you should edit your first posting here and make that clear. It is very important for all those reading this post (and there are a lot - look at the number of views) to understand whether you have a vested interest or not. Other than a few subtle references to "we" and 'Ace asked me to take a look and respond', it cannot be readily ascertained exactly what your interest, if any, is here.

As for the distinction between group buy and someone who imports lights and sells them with a resale license, etc., you do raise a valid point, but it certainly raises another fundamentally important question in the discussion/debate at hand - what is this posting? A group buy (traditionally meaning all participants make separate and distinct arrangements with the seller, but their purchases are all tracked together, ostensibly to gain greater discounts in price than if purchased apart from one another, such as a group buy from BRS), someone purchasing a number of lights themselves after pre-sale deposits/guarantees, bringing in and then distributing (same/similar to what LarryM and NickSDC did), someone just selling merchandise, or something else. If someone was to buy one of these lights, who do they make payment to? If there is a problem with one of the lights and someone wants to press for their money back, to whom should they make such a request?

Last, I emailed Ace yesterday, but haven't heard back. If you are affiliated with him/this transaction - I have a friend who has reviewed the lights available from NickSDC, LarryM and this posting. He is curious about the PAR ratings on this light, since it was information given for the first two, but not the fixtures described here. If that data is available, or can be made available, please let me know. He's looking for 4 fixtures, but would like to see the ratings before he plunks down a grand.

Paul

Two Bit Scooter is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wow, is this still going on?
      TLDR... but check out all the mad capitalization and red text. Woo!

Makes me glad I'm not looking for lights right now.
      Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho!

Nick_Kun is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

man I ran out of popcorns...argghh

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information