• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: 125gal ... Sub-Floor bracing. Stop the shakes!

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

125gal ... Sub-Floor bracing. Stop the shakes!

I put in my 125gal tank, and plumbed it through the wall into an 80gal glass sump.
      ... I've got a house, with a subfloor or crawl space and knew it could handle the weight... however, wasn't expecting the tank to shudder and shake every time you walked by... or the dog ran by... or we had people over. It made me nervous every time there were numerous people in the room, up close to the acrylic. So I made a plan to brace the subfloor joists.

That plan, all changed when I was buying the material. I had the plan drawn up, and a materials list all ready to go. I was standing in HomeD... and realized I was OVER building by about 500%. My normal problem when fabricating or building, as I've never wanted anything I build to break apart or fall down. So I changed a few things and opted for a "wedge" approach rather than my all-thread and heavy nut idea (jack post) with one less 4x6 beam. I'm glad I went the way I did.

Knowing I was to put in new flooring in the room, I saw cut a hole in the floor and made access into the crawl space (otherwise, I'd have to haul all the lumber from the far side of the house... and that would have been a HUGE pita!)

Not a huge hole, but one I could get a 4x6 eight feet long into.

Once I had the cutout, I dropped in the (4) 12" concrete piers that I'd use to hold up my (2) 4x6 beams. And some tools, a baby sludge hammer...etc.etc... and myself. My Wonderful Cousin, was going to be on the DeWalt sliding compound miter.... and would pass down my needed materials.

There was only 18" of crawl space below the joists and above the dirt. Thank goodness my 1962 house was fairly clean and clear underneath. Often I stick foggers under my house to kill varmits and pests, so it was also pretty clean of spiders and a lack of webs. NICE!

Here you can see the limited working room;

It doesn't look to safe, or strong... but, trust me on these wedges... they aren't going anywhere once I screwed the beam to the strapping on the concrete block, and the beam to the joists. I didn't have the room for my jackpost idea. As I'd have welded up some all-thread and a heavy nut to be able to adjust the pressure (like a car jack). However, the wedges my cousin cut... worked GREAT!

These wedges are secure, and providing a solid mating surface;

Once I got a beam in, we tested the bounce on the floor... and the fish tank still swayed. Pretty scary... as I think it could fall over at any time during a party, or small earthquake. I noticed the tank was on two joists... centered just about perfect. Hmmm... wonder why it's so unstable?!

With that, we put the second beam in. 4' from the other beam. Both of them spanning the width of the tank stand and from my house's outside wall to interior stem wall. Pretty much dead center of the room. Beams perpendicular to joists.

Each beam is 8' long, and covers almost 8 joists. Each end joist, is a double joist or considered a sistered joist and makes up into a 4x8 beam. It's not going ANYWHERE.

The second beam is in, and the floor is much more stable as well as the tank. However, the current blocking in between the joists was either loose or not a tight fit. So I made sure to add a few blocks under the tank in between the 4 joists under and just outside the tank footprint.

With the latest blocking, and two beams... the tank doesn't shake, even when a 210lb adult jumps up and down next to it. Sure makes it easier to sleep at night!!

I make some leveling supports around my hole, and begin to close it it;

After a healthy plywood patch, it's all done;

Now, I have a solid foundation that doesn't allow my tank to shake, rattle and roll.

... all I have to do now, is re-paint the tank stand, lay my new flooring, and put on new baseboard and trim around the base of the tank (I had to repair the stand from the previous owners "water leak" problems - hence it's need for repaint, clean up and trim).

Time to sit in the hot tub!!!

SoCalBoo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So are you gonna have to move the tank to install new flooring? Fun times...

jaysonsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Suddenly, the upgrade to a 125 doesn't look too appealing... awesome job though! Gives me a reference point for what I'll have to do.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBoo View Post
      So are you gonna have to move the tank to install new flooring? Fun times...
      Nope... I'm going to put the floor in, up to and around the tank (with finish moulding around the tank as if it was part of the house). If I ever sell off the tank, it'll be either to go bigger... or, get out of reef all-together. Either way, I can easily fix the floor to make it look like the tank was never there. (and, go under and knock out the bracing if the floor crowns anywhere from the upward pressure)

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by jaysonsd View Post
      Suddenly, the upgrade to a 125 doesn't look too appealing... awesome job though! Gives me a reference point for what I'll have to do.
      Ahhhhh... don't let me take away your upgrade! It was only $60 and 4hrs of time. Peace of cake! A drop in the bucket compared to money spent on a tank, and time in care and maintenance.

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Wow very nice work!

pylos is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Great that you took photos of the whole process. This is a topic that I wish was addressed more in DIY threads. Thanks!
      Jerad

wintercs is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DUDE!!! Makes me glad to have a concrete floor. Nice Wood flooring, tank and bracing job BTW!!

I am:
      Geeky

I've started a thread on a self-help forum to see if I can get "best guess" load ratings for my bracing technique.

It's here; http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=27043

I'm trying to get more information before I spend hours preparing a 240gal to go in my 125gal's place. I've purchased WRAiTHY's 240, and am going to prep it as-if to install it in the near and up comming future. This means hours of polishing out the scratches, and rebuilding the canopy to my liking... as well as installing proper lighting and getting the plumbing ready. Typical Reefer 101 when it comes to an upgrade like this. However, now... I want to make sure the floor is ABOVE and BEYOND spec to hold the larger weight.

I'll have a chance to add more bracing when I breakdown my 125... but, only an hour or two of a timeframe before I place the 240 in it's location. Not much time, but for 'peace of mind' I'll do what it takes.

... anyone have an engineer in the family who can answer the question (see thread on self help for more info, and diagram)?!

Therapy is offline Registered User
      My status is: retired!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a similar situation with a display tank in the house, plumbed under the house into a crawl space under the house. However, my crawl space is about 12 feet off the ground. We did the same kind of brace, but only over the tank. I know exactly what you mean about shudder and shaking when you have guests. We recently had a party with around 80 guests and I fretted the WHOLE time. To the point where I called the contractor to come back and rebrace the entire floor.
      P.s my tank is a 375 gallon glass tank. I am glad someone is keeping the baby 240 alive !! congrats
      By the way, if you decide that it is to much effort to buff the tank, I would be willing to purchase JUST the tank. I would use it as a sump and need not have a "scratch free tank". That stand is a moore cabinet so it is of decent quality.
      Last edited by Therapy; 04-25-2011 at 04:55 PM.

I am:
      Geeky

I thought I'd update this...

I just installed my 240gallon display over the same area I braced for my 125gal. HOWEVER, I added another 4x6x8 beam (or girder) to the very center of the tank area. So now, I have (3) 4x6x8's perpendicular to my 2 2x8 floor joists that hold up this 3000lb monstrosity. I also added LOTS of blocking between the joists, specifically where the corners of the tank sit, as they sit between joists and allowed the tank to rock slightly.

I'm happy to say... it's pretty darn solid and I'm VERY comfortable with the bracing. It allows me to sleep at night!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information