BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

ReliantAquarium is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It would be a shame if Scripps closed the sea water connection for good. It actually goes against the institution's core values to shut off the seawater connection.

Like someone mentioned before San Diego is in a water crisis. In fact, the entire earth is in a fresh water crisis. Fresh water supplies are very limited and are being depleted at an increasing rate due to overuse, pollution, and a plethora of other problems.

If the Scripps seawater connection was to close permanently it would force the many current and future marine aquarists in Southern California who rely on the natural seawater from Scripps to perform water changes in their aquarium and use our scarce freshwater only to turn that freshwater into seawater.

We should all take advantage of this natural resource, the seawater, that we are fortunate to have in our backyard, and in doing so stop wasting a our precious freshwater. It however, is not in our control at this point to do so. It is Scripps who is the gate keeper.

The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, a department of University of California, is an institution focused on sustainability and water conservation. It's written all over their website.

Given this information one would think that Scripps would be well aware of the negative impacts and ramifications of shutting off the sea water connection would have on the environment.

Scripps should allow the public access to the seawater connection as they have before so that we all can practice sustainability and use the natural seawater for our aquariums instead of depleting our ever important freshwater supplies.
      David Ragan
      Owner
      Reliant Aquarium Service & Maintenance

Serving San Diego and Temecula Valley
      [url]www.ReliantAquarium.com[/url]

ReefTank123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nsw

David,

As posted earlier, we are in the planning stages to have NSW available commercially here in San Diego -- in addition to Scripps and Catalina. From our standpoint, the more end users that can start and stay in the hobby, the better.

Our assumption is that many current Scripps users equate
      some direct costs
      -- travel costs, time, etc.,

and indirect costs
      -- minimally filtered, system is up and down, not centrally located, etc.
      [url]www.ReefTank123.com[/url]
      Product and practice evaluation systems. 150 gal mixed reef, RK2 skimmer, Iwaki, Vortech. 180 gal custom Starphire mixed reef.

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by ReefTank123 View Post
      David,

As posted earlier, we are in the planning stages to have NSW available commercially here in San Diego -- in addition to Scripps and Catalina. From our standpoint, the more end users that can start and stay in the hobby, the better.
      Who are you?
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

jrod11 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lo0seR View Post
      How profound!!
      Actually, yes it is.
      [URL="http://www.greensurfshop.com"]Buddy's Surf Shop[/URL] that donates to green foundations, check it out!

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55943"]Jrod11 feedback[/URL]

jrod11 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by gtcali View Post
      I assume this was directed at my post. There are other reasons besides costs that makes bums me out about Scripps shutting down the water. I work by there so it's conveinent, and I enjoy going there to checkout the beach and surf.

Damn I'll just keep lurking. My bad.
      That wasn't directed to you at all. I actually never saw your post when I wrote that. I'm not being testy either- what i said gets reiterated all the time on here.

We just all need to remember that we are not "entitled" to scripps water. That is awesome that they provide it, but people are getting way too worked up over it being shut down.
      [URL="http://www.greensurfshop.com"]Buddy's Surf Shop[/URL] that donates to green foundations, check it out!

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55943"]Jrod11 feedback[/URL]

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
      Who are you?
      My feelings exactly. We use this valuable resource because it is cheaper than spending the money on "new commercially available NSW." It is free, except for our time and efforts, and has saved me (and others) many hundreds of dollars over the year. If you wish to advertise your services, please ask TechnoViking (site owner) about becoming a paying sponsor. Thanks!
      [COLOR="Red"]Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit
      I Love My Glass Box of Salty Rocks[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]><((((š>`·.ļļ.·īŊ`·.ļ.·īŊ`·...ļ><((((š>
      ·īŊ`·.ļ. , . .·īŊ`·.. >((((š>[/COLOR]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25083&highlight=basement"]Roland's 125 Reef, plumbed to the basement.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38697"]...and one year later....[/URL]

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ReliantAquarium View Post
      It would be a shame if Scripps closed the sea water connection for good. It actually goes against the institution's core values to shut off the seawater connection.

Like someone mentioned before San Diego is in a water crisis. In fact, the entire earth is in a fresh water crisis. Fresh water supplies are very limited and are being depleted at an increasing rate due to overuse, pollution, and a plethora of other problems.

If the Scripps seawater connection was to close permanently it would force the many current and future marine aquarists in Southern California who rely on the natural seawater from Scripps to perform water changes in their aquarium and use our scarce freshwater only to turn that freshwater into seawater.

We should all take advantage of this natural resource, the seawater, that we are fortunate to have in our backyard, and in doing so stop wasting a our precious freshwater. It however, is not in our control at this point to do so. It is Scripps who is the gate keeper.

The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, a department of University of California, is an institution focused on sustainability and water conservation. It's written all over their website.

Given this information one would think that Scripps would be well aware of the negative impacts and ramifications of shutting off the sea water connection would have on the environment.

Scripps should allow the public access to the seawater connection as they have before so that we all can practice sustainability and use the natural seawater for our aquariums instead of depleting our ever important freshwater supplies.
      All excellent points David. Thanks. ...... and welcome.
      [COLOR="Red"]Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit
      I Love My Glass Box of Salty Rocks[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]><((((š>`·.ļļ.·īŊ`·.ļ.·īŊ`·...ļ><((((š>
      ·īŊ`·.ļ. , . .·īŊ`·.. >((((š>[/COLOR]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25083&highlight=basement"]Roland's 125 Reef, plumbed to the basement.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38697"]...and one year later....[/URL]

sdmasseuse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Scripps should just have people that want water bring their own hose so that the beach people can't use the water to wash their stuff off.

gtcali is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Cool jrod11, and I totally agree with everything you said.

sdmasseuse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I do water changes every week on two tanks one is 125 gallons the other is 55 gallons so I go thru a lot of water weekly so yeah I'm going to get worked up.

Quote Originally Posted by jrod11 View Post
      That wasn't directed to you at all. I actually never saw your post when I wrote that. I'm not being testy either- what i said gets reiterated all the time on here.

We just all need to remember that we are not "entitled" to scripps water. That is awesome that they provide it, but people are getting way too worked up over it being shut down.

Sundiego is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

For those now making water, you can invest in a dual RO membrane system, and a booster pump. This takes the clean water/waste water ratio from 1:4 to 1:1.

My favorite place to get these is thefilterguys.biz, they have the best customer service, and Jim the owner started the dual RO membrane system to save water many years ago.

I am not affiliated with them in any way just a very satisfied customer.

With 80 psi running through my system, I can get 30 gallons of water in the time it took me to get 5 as well. Well worth the investment. You can also upgrade your current system, so you dont have to buy a completely new one.
      My 100g SPS reef is gone for now....

150 gal frag/growout tank total system around 300 gal
      over 60 aussie acan lord morphs(my new crack)
      tek 8 bulb t5
      asm g5
      reeflo barracuda

44 Tall
      Zebra Mantis, duncans, torch, clam and others..
      see my Zebra Mantis here:
      [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyWTk_cbaOc[/url]
      HOB filter, and skimmer
      150w HQI 14k Phoenix

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

I can stand by the hose and ask for sdreefs screen name id's ?

MustangBill is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by carlichie View Post
      I love reading these scripps threads, I know this is important to a lot people including myself but some of the comments have me lmao, I love it!!!
      125 gallon Cube:rock:
      RKE with 2 PC4's
      50 Gallon Sump
      25 Gallon Fuge
      Full Spectrum LED lighting

Classic Mustang Freak:)

SoCalBoo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by carlichie View Post
      Thanks. Needed a good joke on a dreary Monday.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information