• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SCRIPPS May Be Shut Off For Good

nkb1883 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

SCRIPPS May Be Shut Off For Good

I was down at Scripps Pier today getting water & was talking to a buddy that works maintenance there. He told me that the Director went down to the free water spigot to see someone filling up their jugs and letting the water run down to the beach run off drain. He was filling up in front of the pier entrance. The director wanted the water shut off NOW and possibly for good, but there was nobody with that kind of authority around. Keep in mind they just spent 3 million dollars putting in new pipes and a fresh cement pad for us to fill water on with a drain next to the spigot where the water is supposed to drain into the sewer.

I would advise for anyone using Scripps water to be considerate when you're filling up your water jugs to watch where your excess water drains because there are a lot of head honchos watching you.

Maybe someone should put up a sign of some sort!

Please don't let Scripps get taken away for good!!!!!!!!!!!!

Essence is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Agreed on being prudent about our waste. Most I've met down there do a good job. Recently, couldn't help cringing when I saw a pickup truck with 55 gal's and a few Brute trash cans filling up, just to see water slosh out of the Brute cans as they pulled away because there was no lid. Is water taken w/o a lid on the back of a truck salvageable for tank use? Just my opinion. You know who you are.

ocean1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dont want to run out of sea water..They burning through the RO/Di to make salt water down there or what???
      Last edited by ocean1; 08-27-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Commander428 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There's always a few retards that ruin it for everyone.

ReefTank123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Scripps

Quote Originally Posted by nkb1883 View Post
      I was down at Scripps Pier today getting water & was talking to a buddy that works maintenance there. He told me that the Director went down to the free water spigot to see someone filling up their jugs and letting the water run down to the beach run off drain. He was filling up in front of the pier entrance. The director wanted the water shut off NOW and possibly for good, but there was nobody with that kind of authority around. Keep in mind they just spent 3 million dollars putting in new pipes and a fresh cement pad for us to fill water on with a drain next to the spigot where the water is supposed to drain into the sewer.

I would advise for anyone using Scripps water to be considerate when you're filling up your water jugs to watch where your excess water drains because there are a lot of head honchos watching you.

Maybe someone should put up a sign of some sort!

Please don't let Scripps get taken away for good!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Been down there a few times and talked to a few people in the know.
      (1) officially, water is for UC student experiments
      (2) but, the new pad also let's them "wash" their boats
      (3) commercial use is an issue, but couldn't really get how they're leaning on this one
      (4) when I asked why Scripps doesn't publish intentions, policies and rules regarding public use, rather than continue to field emails and phone calls, got no comment

spacewelder is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It Is Shut Of For Good! I Was Just There And It Was Due To People From The Beach Washing Of Their Kids And Stuff. Not From Reefers! I Talked To A Supervisor (did Not Get Her Name) And That Was The Reason. It Is Gone For Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow We Could Not Even Make It A Week!

Hybrid is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I don't get it. Why would a lil water spilling or washing off kids hurt anything? It's salt water spilling back to the ocean. Oh wait. It's clean filtered salt water spilling down the drain back to the ocean.

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

they dont want the new concrete full of sand when the beach-goers wash up

goody is offline Registered User
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Weren't surfers and beachgoers doing this before all the construction?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That is what I thought. Its not us the beachers I see always washing and what is the dif. from what we do after surfing and such at the other wash (showers) at the beaches?? I still dont get it. Its no more poluted than any other rinse off. So what if a little tiny bit gets down to the beach or down a drain its sand filtered. In the cope of like 80% of the earths surface covered by ocean plenty of water. Clean, and they are always pumping anyway for scripps. Its a sand filter so doesnt need new resin no R/O waste water. This all just seems weird

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

as far as new concrete getting some sand on it had been used as a wash for beachers for dozens of years. No problem before. Its new concrete? Well its few feet from the beach so its going to get some sand on it. I can hose it down if thats the big deal. Think scripps is being babies.

Som1else is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Maybe instead of being a little baby about it they could simply post a sign clearly stating the rules for use...... Why in the hell would they spend soo much money only to turn it off a week later? A little sand got on it, really? Its the beach idiot.

sdmasseuse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah I don't understand either if they didn't want it use by the public why hook up a hose? It has been under construction for over 5 months and only on for a week? Why isn't their signs stating the public use?

Quote Originally Posted by Som1else View Post
      Maybe instead of being a little baby about it they could simply post a sign clearly stating the rules for use...... Why in the hell would they spend soo much money only to turn it off a week later? A little sand got on it, really? Its the beach idiot.

ReefTank123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nsw

As posted before, we are told the water is pumped from the end of the pier, about 25 ft down, but above the sea floor. Then sand filtered and made available for the students at the pier.

Water then goes up the hill to Birch where they do more treatments. Sounds about the same as the Catalina approach.

Since this is a hot-button issue, we are working with a few companies now to provide NSW here in San Diego at one or more central locations.

Please let us know under what terms and circumstances you would consider purchasing marine system NSW. TIA.

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

I kinda figured this would happen sooner or later.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information