• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: There goes my tank....

NickSDC is offline Registered User
      My status is: We will miss you Larry!

I am:
      Tired

Update Andy? I'm wondering if theres a glass weld you can use. Kinda like weld on for acrylic. I've never sealed a tank but I'd feel more comfortable w/ something like that.

edit:

heres a good reseal vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gS7gp-ehM
      Last edited by NickSDC; 08-28-2010 at 09:48 AM.

619andyp is offline Registered User
      My status is: good

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by tooradavis View Post
      If you decide you need a tank or the reseal goes foul. Let me know.
      Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by nissanfan619 View Post
      Update Andy? I'm wondering if theres a glass weld you can use. Kinda like weld on for acrylic. I've never sealed a tank but I'd feel more comfortable w/ something like that.

edit:

heres a good reseal vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gS7gp-ehM
      Still leaking. Going to borrow a drum today and get everything out. I am going to keep this thread updated and include pictures. Thanks again for the sweet camera and thanks for the link.

I am:
      Happy

Thanks for the drum Rob. That was so nice of you to bring it by.

Pure Magic79 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Anytime

Quote Originally Posted by 619andyp View Post
      Thanks for the drum Rob. That was so nice of you to bring it by.
      Anytime Andy, friendly people like you are such an asset to our reefing community. Let me know if you need anything else.

I am:
      Happy

This is how the tank looks now, before the reseal. There is four Discus but one was camera shy. We got them as babies. The orange one came from Pet Kingdom and the other two were from Fountains. Plants have seen better days. I only have one 54w T-5 on them and the bulb needs replacing. Getting a new bulb this week. Will upgrade the fixture one day.

Anyone want some of the plants? Will give someone half the grass (bought from Fountains in La Mesa for $2.99 for a little bunch) and about half the java fern (bought from Pet Kingdom for 19.99 for a nice sized bunch). They might have nuisance snails on them but I have a bunch of assassins in there so not as bad as it could be. Wouldn't turn down a frag in return but definitely not necessary.

I am:
      Happy

Some more Discus pictures. They have such funny personalities.

I am:
      Happy

Update:

The Discus and Congo Tetras have been in a 55g drum (in the middle of my living room) for a few days now and seem to being to doing fine. I have been dosing with melafix. No reason except to keep slime coats good. Also have the wood, rock, and sand in there. Set up one of my 3g pico tanks to hold the plants, fancy corys, and the rainbow shrimp.

Cleaned and dried the old tank and removed all the old silicone. Not fun. Just waiting on the new silicone to arrive in the mail. I needed black, which is about ten a tube everywhere I checked. I was able to get a really good discount from Petco so I ended up paying about five a tube. I think I ordered six to be safe. Only problem is when I log onto Petco it appears that my order hasn't even shipped yet and it is the holiday weekend. My guess is it will be a while.

Will get some more pictures of all this up very soon.

LarryM is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nice looking setup... beautiful fish.

AW has caulking type tubes and one should work for the whole tank. usualyy arounf $20?

Update:

Cleaned and dried the old tank and removed all the old silicone. Not fun. Just waiting on the new silicone to arrive in the mail. I needed black, which is about ten a tube everywhere I checked. I was able to get a really good discount from Petco so I ended up paying about five a tube. I think I ordered six to be safe. Only problem is when I log onto Petco it appears that my order hasn't even shipped yet and it is the holiday weekend. My guess is it will be a while.

Will get some more pictures of all this up very soon.

Som1else is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Marshalls has the caulking tubes of 100% black silicone for 7 each. I can't remember the exact size but it's the standard size like for doing showers.

I am:
      Happy

Thanks guys for the suggestions and thanks Larry for the compliments. I can take all that Petco stuff back so I will look into AW and Marshalls.

So here are some more pictures.

This is the Discus new home right before I added everything.

This is the Discus in there new home right after I moved them.

The plants, the Corys, the Rainbow Shrimp, and assassin snails (at least the ones I could find) new home right before the move

And after. As you can see I got rid of most of the plants.

The tank with silicone and all dirty

No more silicone

Clean and drying

I am:
      Happy

Here is a good one... I originally sent my girl to Homedepot to buy silicone. I told her to make sure and get 100% silicone in black. I told her whatever she got to make sure it didn't have anti-mold and mildew agents. She came back with some 100% silicone in black by GE silicone II. I read the entire tube and it claimed 100% and never mentioned any additives. The funny thing was that somewhere on the label in small print it said not for use on fish tanks. I also had read many places that people killed there entire tank resealing with this stuff. I guess not all 100% silicone is created equal... Thought that was pretty funny.

I am:
      Happy

I finished resealing the tank yesterday. Tomorrow I will test it for leaks. If everything checks out good Rob can have his recycling barrel back . Thanks again Rob. Will get some more pictures up later today.

I am:
      Happy

All finished. Set the tank on some butcher paper and filled it full of water to test for leaks. Left it like that for 48 hours. It checked out ok. Drained it, brought it in the living room, and started setting it back up. Living room is back to normal.

All and all this was a good opportunity to not only put a little more life experience under the belt, but to also do a major spring cleaning on the tank. Other then the plants I didn't loose anything. Check out how much better the tank looks.

Just starting to fill 'er up.

Still a little cloudy from stirring up all the sand.

Notice how I took out about an inch of sand. I think it looks better.

I think the tank looks good bare but if anyone in San Diego city has some tall grass or swords or something they want to give me it would be appreciated. Let me know.
      Last edited by 619andyp; 09-18-2010 at 06:02 AM.

I am:
      Happy

Thanks to everyone who followed this thread for all the tips, support, and encouragement. It is people like you guys who keep this site great! And a very extra special thanks to Rob (Puremagic) for lending me his barrel. Not only did he deliver it to me, but he refused any gas money for compensation. Rob is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. If you haven't had the opportunity to do business with him already, I highly recommend it.

Rob- I will be PMing you shortly so you can arrange pick up of your drum.

Pure Magic79 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Andy

Thanks to everyone who followed this thread for all the tips, support, and encouragement. It is people like you guys who keep this site great! And a very extra special thanks to Rob (Puremagic) for lending me his barrel. Not only did he deliver it to me, but he refused any gas money for compensation. Rob is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. If you haven't had the opportunity to do business with him already, I highly recommend it.

Rob- I will be PMing you shortly so you can arrange pick up of your drum.
      Thanks Andy for the kind words. Glad all is good and back. Can't wait to see the tank again. Let me know if you need anything.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information