• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clown with heavy breathing

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

Exclamation Clown with heavy breathing

I have a clown that I just got 2 days ago that isnt eating and breathing a bit fast. I did a 5 min freshwater bath on him but that did not seam to help much if at all. I know of most diseases and to me he does not look to have anything but I could be wrong. I have the little guy in a 2.5g picotope with the pico filter (with nothing in it) and an airstone atm treating him with some para guard by seachem.

I was wondering if anyone has had something like this go on? Maybe you know something that I dont and can shine a light on things. I have tried feeding him frozen brine/mysis, live adult and baby brine, omega one flakes, arcti pods, tried some coral frenzy for the rods and pods, even tried giving him nori. Nothing....tried soaking the food in garlic....nothing. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have tried just about everything I can think of.

Video added to help....

Day 2 of Para Guard Treatment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMabQXKP6qo

This vid was like 5-6 hours later....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrM1hB5fdR8

Day 3 of Para Guard Treatment
      Breathing is a bit better. Almost normal. Fins still a little frayed but not getting worse. He is not losing any skin or scales, I do not see any mucus on him, his gills are not as inflamed, and he is swimming around in what I call "night mode" which is more normal then before. Fish has been with me 4 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkonPIJwHmI

Day 4 of Para Guard Treatment
      Breathing is close to normal. His fins are still frayed. When I turn the light on he swims around the middle of the tank. Lights off he does just like my other Perc does at night. He goes to the top corner. I did see him take a mouth full of coral frenzy today but that is all I have seen him eat in 4-5 days. Not really sure if he even ate it or not. Para Guard looks to be working. Tried to order Formalin but was told it is no longer available for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYgL_jRp3OM

Update day 4 of Para guard and Day 5 Having the fish
      Finally!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ochTeNyJYvg
      Last edited by Acefspds; 07-12-2010 at 08:37 PM.
      [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]55 Gal Uniquarium 2x54w Fiji Purple, ATI Blue+ Actinic - 100 lbs LR - Bare Bottom - Softie, LPS, SPS - Vortech MP40 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]28 Gal Nano Cube 150w 20K HQI - 30+lbs LR - 40+lbs LS - Softie Tank[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]14 Gal BioCube 8x3w LED Retro 4 x 6500k SemiLED (200lm @700mA, 60 Degree Optics ) 4 x 445nm SemiLED - Vortech MP10 - PNG True Perc Breeder w/ BTA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SandyBrown"]10 Gal 1.8w LED Strips - FOWLR Baby Onyx Clownfish Tank [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="Sienna"]05 Gal 1w LED Strip - Bare Bottom Freshwater KilliFish Tank[/COLOR] [/B][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][U][SIZE="3"]Acefspds[/SIZE][/U][/B]
      [B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]8[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

NickSDC is offline Registered User
      My status is: We will miss you Larry!

I am:
      Tired

I had a jawfish that did that for a few days after I got him. I figured it he was nervous with change. He eventually started eating/breathing normally. I assume he just felt uncomfortable.
      32g Peninsula 39×13.7×13.7

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by nissanfan619 View Post
      I had a jawfish that did that for a few days after I got him. I figured it he was nervous with change. He eventually started eating/breathing normally. I assume he just felt uncomfortable.
      It got a bit worse today... Thats why I pulled him out and dipped him and started the para guard. Someone told me it might be a parasite in his gills =-(

He did not eat the night I brought him home, Didnt eat all day the next day and has not eaten anything today.....

He is swimmig at the top of the tank alot now.
      [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]55 Gal Uniquarium 2x54w Fiji Purple, ATI Blue+ Actinic - 100 lbs LR - Bare Bottom - Softie, LPS, SPS - Vortech MP40 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]28 Gal Nano Cube 150w 20K HQI - 30+lbs LR - 40+lbs LS - Softie Tank[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]14 Gal BioCube 8x3w LED Retro 4 x 6500k SemiLED (200lm @700mA, 60 Degree Optics ) 4 x 445nm SemiLED - Vortech MP10 - PNG True Perc Breeder w/ BTA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SandyBrown"]10 Gal 1.8w LED Strips - FOWLR Baby Onyx Clownfish Tank [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="Sienna"]05 Gal 1w LED Strip - Bare Bottom Freshwater KilliFish Tank[/COLOR] [/B][/FONT][/CENTER]

[B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]8[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      I thought that too but he isnt losing any scales, getting slime or anything. He is just breathing heavy. Reading more about it the heavy breathing may be the start of it. Both Oodinium and brooklynella start at the gills it sounds like. I think Para Guard is supose to take care of that. I didnt give him a med bath yet. I might do that tomorrow. I did a 5 min freshwater bath then started treatment with para guard. Gave him 1.2ml in about 2.5g of water. Tomorrow I will do a 100% water change and re medicate. You think I should do a med bath? Says on the lable to do 3ml per gal in a bath for 1 hour.
      Last edited by Acefspds; 07-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Acefspds View Post
      You think I should do a med bath? Says on the lable to do 3ml per gal in a bath for 1 hour.
      I don't know man, it depends on how he looks. The med bath is going to cause alot of stress so it might be enough to send him over the edge. That would be a judgement call on your end.

I am:
      Annoyed

He dosnt look that bad. Nothing visable but the heavy breathing and not eating. If it gets worse I will bath him but I think moving him today, freshwater bathin him and medicating him might be enough stress for a while.

bpro32 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Anytime you get a wild caught clown you should assume it has brook. Also brook starts out mostly internal and by the time you see something wrong it is usually too late. Find yourself some meds and treat immediately.

Good luck
      Some day I'll find one tank and stick with it.

Currently in-between tanks

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by bpro32 View Post
      Anytime you get a wild caught clown you should assume it has brook. Also brook starts out mostly internal and by the time you see something wrong it is usually too late. Find yourself some meds and treat immediately.

Good luck

I started treating him with Para Guard earlier today. It says it treats for most all parasites, bacteria, and fungus. I have had him 48 hours so far. Started treatment about 30 hours after I got him. Hope I cought it in time.
      Last edited by Acefspds; 07-09-2010 at 10:44 PM.

I am:
      Annoyed

Treatment Day 2:

He is still swimming near the top of the water. Breathing looks a bit better today. I am gonna do a 100% WC and remedicate.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

100% water change may overstress the fish. 50% should be just fine.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

btw, I think the only thing that kills brook is formalin. Could be wrong..

pollywog is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Bemused

Just a wild guess, but could it be that the water is low on oxygen?
      [SIZE="1"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"]Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, ..." Genesis 1:20[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by pollywog View Post
      Just a wild guess, but could it be that the water is low on oxygen?
      I dont think that is it. I have an airstone in the water going to town so he sould be ok Oxygen wise. I did notice some white feces. Been reading thats a sign of parasites so the Para Guard should do the trick if I treated soon enough. I seen him toy with a live brine today by taking it in his mouth and spitting it out. Hope he eats something soon.

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by bpro32 View Post
      btw, I think the only thing that kills brook is formalin. Could be wrong..
      Been reading on this. Alot of posts on forums and what not have has success using Para Guard. I did not really wanna use a formaldehyde med because I read it causes liver disease in fish.

I am doing the treatment not the baths. I might do a bath in a day or so to see if it helps

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information