• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Construction at Scripps?

Berk80 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I agree a good solution could be to put a pay meter on the hose and we all pay a small fee per gallon...that way the 500 gallon trucks will not be as motivated to fill up there. Could solve the problem of people taking advantage of the free water by taking a ton of it and then turning around and selling it...you know who you are.

It would be also a good way to get money to maintain the filter system.
      Last edited by Berk80; 06-11-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Anyone want to suggest this to them? The surfers who use the water to wash off their feet would not be happy with that, but it is a start.

megalodoras is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

bad idea . whats it going to be the honor system , atm cards , or quarters to pay the "small fee" . they going to hire an attendant to monitor the sales and accept payment ? ive never seen these big trucks that grab water but dont they use the large outlets and if that is the case it wouldnt stop someone from using the hose at the same time . and why does anyone care what they do with the water some people like the convience of delivered water . the small amount of money they would make from a small fee would not be worth there headaches of maintaining meters , liability ....

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

also if they are crazy enough to start charging for water they will love to have them big trucks come rolling up . thats the only way they will make a profit

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by megalodoras View Post
      bad idea . whats it going to be the honor system , atm cards , or quarters to pay the "small fee" . they going to hire an attendant to monitor the sales and accept payment ? ive never seen these big trucks that grab water but dont they use the large outlets and if that is the case it wouldnt stop someone from using the hose at the same time . and why does anyone care what they do with the water some people like the convience of delivered water . the small amount of money they would make from a small fee would not be worth there headaches of maintaining meters , liability ....
      You are right. Rather than figure out a way to pay what it costs them to keep a system going (filtration, maintenence, electricity, and all the rest) that we all use for free, it is a much better idea that they just shut it off or padlock it and give us all a really good reason to complain.

MustangBill is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have only seen one large truck filling up since I have been getting water there, and your right megalodoras it might not be a good idea to set up some sort of paying system for the water, the point is that its a free access to salt water for anyone, so rather than rock the boat and complain and get up in arms that is been shut off for awhile why they do upgrades we should all just suck it up and make do until it re-opens.

ensiferum321 is offline Site Elder
      My status is: To be continued

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Berk80 View Post
      I agree a good solution could be to put a pay meter on the hose and we all pay a small fee per gallon...that way the 500 gallon trucks will not be as motivated to fill up there. Could solve the problem of people taking advantage of the free water by taking a ton of it and then turning around and selling it...you know who you are.

It would be also a good way to get money to maintain the filter system.
      I disagree 100%. Almost all the LFS up here in Temecula get the water from Scripps, and they only charge $1.00 a gallon, I have NO Problem paying that because it would cost me more in gas/time just to go get it. That 500 gallon truck you're talking about is the truck that delivers the water up here for all us inland folks. Don't be greedy, the oceans huge man.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ensiferum321 View Post
      I disagree 100%. Almost all the LFS up here in Temecula get the water from Scripps, and they only charge $1.00 a gallon, I have NO Problem paying that because it would cost me more in gas/time just to go get it. That 500 gallon truck you're talking about is the truck that delivers the water up here for all us inland folks. Don't be greedy, the oceans huge man.
      Missing the point. Yes the water is "free" and the ocean is huge. What we are getting for free is water pumped up from thirty feet down at the end of the pier. It is then filtered, and again pumped to the spigot. Someone is paying for that electricity, the equipment and the upkeep. Heck, there is even a picture of the plumber in one of these posts.

That is like saying that you just turn on the tap in your house and the water comes out, so why should it cost you anything at all?

I am not saying they should charge a lot, maybe 10 cents a gallon at the spigot. (A hundred gallons would cost you $10.00.) It would not make anyone a profit, just help defray the cost of the service. As an earlier post says, there is no revenue stream to pay for this right now, so that money comes from somewhere else.

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Techknowledgy View Post
      Missing the point. Yes the water is "free" and the ocean is huge. What we are getting for free is water pumped up from thirty feet down at the end of the pier. It is then filtered, and again pumped to the spigot. Someone is paying for that electricity, the equipment and the upkeep. Heck, there is even a picture of the plumber in one of these posts.

That is like saying that you just turn on the tap in your house and the water comes out, so why should it cost you anything at all?

I am not saying they should charge a lot, maybe 10 cents a gallon at the spigot. (A hundred gallons would cost you $10.00.) It would not make anyone a profit, just help defray the cost of the service. As an earlier post says, there is no revenue stream to pay for this right now, so that money comes from somewhere else.
      I agree with that, it was Berk80 I was quoting, complaining about the "big trucks" coming and taking water, then selling it.

I think my original post was misread.
      Last edited by ensiferum321; 06-11-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Okay, got it. So if the big truck charges you $1.10 a gallon that is cool?

I am:
      Piratey

Heck yeah, the big truck can charge me $2.00 a gallon and I'd still be happy. The cost is definitely low considering the time, and work put into it.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i agree mustangbill and i would never contact anyone at scripps . i just originally tried to get info from this forum on whats going on down there because i live in escondido and i am way out of the loop . they have to keep pumping and filtering the water it supplies birch aquarium and im sure that they also use the water for thier research . they have been pumping water for years the cost is in there budget . i would never root for padlocking the spigot but im sure there are plenty of local fish stores that would

I am:
      Piratey

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one of the LFS here "Deep Sea Creations" always has a sale on their water (Which is from scripps), atleast once a month for 75 cents/gallon. Very generous if you ask me!

rudy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Those guys in the big trucks get way more than 500 gallons, they get at least 3000 gallons, at least I know the guy who delivers to Deep Sea does. I get 500 gallons every two months for personal use, And I wouldn't complain about paying for the water in some way(if it wasn't too much), it costs me about $30 to get there and back with my 500 gal. What will suck is if they don't have the 2" anymore, it'll take forever to fill my tanks. But I won't b!tch about it either way. I'm glad it's there.

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
      Those guys in the big trucks get way more than 500 gallons, they get at least 3000 gallons, at least I know the guy who delivers to Deep Sea does. I get 500 gallons every two months for personal use, And I wouldn't complain about paying for the water in some way(if it wasn't too much), it costs me about $30 to get there and back with my 500 gal. What will suck is if they don't have the 2" anymore, it'll take forever to fill my tanks. But I won't b!tch about it either way. I'm glad it's there.
      +1 ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information