• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Refractometer

Raamiah is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Annoyed

Thumbs down Refractometer

Looking for a decent refractometer to replace my swing arm hydrometer.
      Marine Depot has theirs on sale for 40 plus 8 shipping...should I just do that?
      [B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Brian[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64504"]My 55gallon tank[/URL]

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=541075#post541075"]Feeback [B][COLOR="Green"]2[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

ebay dude 29.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Salinity-Refract...item335c890d93

I got one and its been working fine for 6 months... Its even ATC

It does come from HK tho it might take like a week or so to get to you.
      Last edited by Acefspds; 04-28-2010 at 11:11 AM.
      [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]55 Gal Uniquarium 2x54w Fiji Purple, ATI Blue+ Actinic - 100 lbs LR - Bare Bottom - Softie, LPS, SPS - Vortech MP40 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]28 Gal Nano Cube 150w 20K HQI - 30+lbs LR - 40+lbs LS - Softie Tank[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]14 Gal BioCube 8x3w LED Retro 4 x 6500k SemiLED (200lm @700mA, 60 Degree Optics ) 4 x 445nm SemiLED - Vortech MP10 - PNG True Perc Breeder w/ BTA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SandyBrown"]10 Gal 1.8w LED Strips - FOWLR Baby Onyx Clownfish Tank [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="Sienna"]05 Gal 1w LED Strip - Bare Bottom Freshwater KilliFish Tank[/COLOR] [/B][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][U][SIZE="3"]Acefspds[/SIZE][/U][/B]
      [B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]8[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

Nick_Kun is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Don't buy those cheap Refractometers. They are not accurate at all. Get a good Quality Milwaukee.

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/...SL-MKMR100-ATC

Rob619 is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

thats the one i have.. it works awesome nick

I am:
      Annoyed

Mine works perfect. Tested it beside my friends $60.00 refractometer. They give the exact same reading. No point in spending double when you dont need to. Just because it is make by Milwaukee dont mean anything. I have had powerheads in one of my tanks that I got from ebay for 12.00. Cheap knock off ones. They pump 1300gph. Lasted longer then my K1.
      Last edited by Acefspds; 04-28-2010 at 11:49 AM.
      [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]55 Gal Uniquarium 2x54w Fiji Purple, ATI Blue+ Actinic - 100 lbs LR - Bare Bottom - Softie, LPS, SPS - Vortech MP40 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]28 Gal Nano Cube 150w 20K HQI - 30+lbs LR - 40+lbs LS - Softie Tank[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]14 Gal BioCube 8x3w LED Retro 4 x 6500k SemiLED (200lm @700mA, 60 Degree Optics ) 4 x 445nm SemiLED - Vortech MP10 - PNG True Perc Breeder w/ BTA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SandyBrown"]10 Gal 1.8w LED Strips - FOWLR Baby Onyx Clownfish Tank [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="Sienna"]05 Gal 1w LED Strip - Bare Bottom Freshwater KilliFish Tank[/COLOR] [/B][/FONT][/CENTER]

[B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]8[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

Raamiah is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Annoyed

Any thoughts on this one: RHS-10ATC?

Other forums have good reviews of them.
      [B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Brian[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64504"]My 55gallon tank[/URL]

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=541075#post541075"]Feeback [B][COLOR="Green"]2[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Nick_Kun is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Acefspds View Post
      Mine works perfect. Tested it beside my friends $60.00 refractometer. They give the exact same reading. No point in spending double when you dont need to. Just because it is make by Milwaukee dont mean anything. I have had powerheads in one of my tanks that I got from ebay for 12.00. Cheap knock off ones. They pump 1300gph. Lasted longer then my K1.
      How often do you calibrate yours? I've owned a few Refractometers, one from MD, one similar to MD that was from a Group buy in this forum 5 years ago and 1 from a HK Ebay and all 3 of them give me different salinity readings. That's after calibrating it multiple times with aquacraft and pinpoint Refractometer solution and RO/DI and it still gives me diff. readings. All i'm saying is that you get what you pay for.

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Raamiah View Post
      Any thoughts on this one: RHS-10ATC?

Other forums have good reviews of them.
      Lokos like the one I have. Just make sure its ATC and can test sea water. some are used for saline only.

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Kun View Post
      How often do you calibrate yours? I've owned a few Refractometers, one from MD, one similar to MD that was from a Group buy in this forum 5 years ago and 1 from a HK Ebay and all 3 of them give me different salinity readings. That's after calibrating it multiple times with aquacraft and pinpoint Refractometer solution and RO/DI and it still gives me diff. readings. All i'm saying is that you get what you pay for.
      Never calabrated it. Tested it against my friends refractometer when I got it and it was bang on. Still to this day has not been calabrated and still reading perfect.

Im not trying to sell the ones on ebay or anything. Get whatever one you want. I am just putting out there that mine works great and I paid $30 instead of 60 + shipping.
      Last edited by Acefspds; 04-28-2010 at 12:00 PM.

99sf is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It's a good idea to use a calibration fluid periodically to confirm the reading of the refractometer. I have a relatively cheap ATC one from Ebay, and when I calibrated it recently, it matched the calibration sample level perfectly. I learned that we cannot calibrate a refractometer by using RO/DI water.

seahorse_man is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Kun View Post
      Don't buy those cheap Refractometers. They are not accurate at all. Get a good Quality Milwaukee.

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/...SL-MKMR100-ATC
      WOW, finally somebody that agrees. I used to always tell people the SAME thing, and would get bashed for it. The Milwaukee is the one I use, it came in a nice black case as well. To me it wasn't necessarily about the accuracy, the quality is what made it my favorite...... oh, and it was accurate too.
      Last edited by seahorse_man; 04-29-2010 at 11:13 PM.
      [b][url=http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44262][color="Lime"]25[/color]/[color="Yellow"]0[/color]/[color="Red"]0[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information