• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: $40 P04 Colorimeter, Yes it's True

jcal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

ok, Eric came over and tested my water in my tank. The meter read .03. so, -/+.o4 would give me .07. My red sea phosphate test kit always reads at .1, color code is 0 to.1, yellow to light very light green.

So, if Eric's water is at 0, -/+ .04, his water is .04. Pretty much ideal parameter.

I think this Hanna meter is pretty darn close. I will order one on the weekend.

467echo is offline Registered User
      My status is: Wet

I am:
      Awesome

I'd say its pretty darn close too. Thanks for the frag Jon. We'll have to move some of this info over to the reveiw section.

goody is offline Registered User
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

having problems with my ph checker. First off, when I tried to install the battery, the green cover came of but nothing else. I'm assuming the entire components should have come out.

Following the directions, I press the button after putting in the battery. Once I get the C.1 and "press" is blinking, I put in the cuvette of unreacted water. After putting in the reagent and shaking for 20 sec. I put the lid down and press the button when C.2 appears. I don't use the timer on the meter. After 3 min., I press the button, but then I get the C.1 again. I don't know if I got a bad one.

The only other thing I guess to add is that when I add the reagent, there are still some clumps after shaking for 20 sec.

HELP!

jaysonsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I had a similar problem, the best work around I found is to use both vials. Fill one with untreated water, put reagent in the other one and shake it for a while. I found when I did this and followed the instructions, the timer would count down and it was less of a headache. It ain't perfect, but for the price, I'm happy.

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
      having problems with my ph checker. First off, when I tried to install the battery, the green cover came of but nothing else. I'm assuming the entire components should have come out.

Following the directions, I press the button after putting in the battery. Once I get the C.1 and "press" is blinking, I put in the cuvette of unreacted water. After putting in the reagent and shaking for 20 sec. I put the lid down and press the button when C.2 appears. I don't use the timer on the meter. After 3 min., I press the button, but then I get the C.1 again. I don't know if I got a bad one.

The only other thing I guess to add is that when I add the reagent, there are still some clumps after shaking for 20 sec.

HELP!
      Measurement Procedure

•Turn the meter ON by pressing the button. After all the segments are displayed ("C.1" and "Add" appears with "Press" blinking), the meter is ready.
      •Fill the cuvette with 10 ml of unreacted sample and replace the cap. Place the cuvette into the meter and close the meter's cap.
      •Press the button. When the display shows "Add" and "C.2"with "Press" blinking, the meter is zeroed.
      •Remove the cuvette, open it and add the content of one packet of HI 713-25 reagent. Replace the cap and swirl gently for 20 second. Replace the cuvette into the meter.
      •Wait for three minutes and then press the button or press and hold the button until the timer is displayed on the LCD.
      •The instrument directly displays the concentration o phosphate in ppm. The meter automatically turns OFF after ten seconds.

Tips for an accurate measurement

•It is important that the sample does not contain any debris.
      •Whenever the cuvette is placed into the measurement cell, it must be dry outside and completely free of fingerprints, oil or dirt. Wipe the cuvette thoroughly with Cloth Tissue for Cuvettes (Item# 27483) or a lint-free cloth prior to insertion.
      •Shaking the cuvette can generate bubbles causing higher readings. To obtain accurate measurements, remove such bubbles by swirling or by gently tapping the cuvette.
      •Do not let the reacted sample stand too long after reagent is added or accuracy will be lost.
      •After the reading, it is important to immediately discard the sample. Otherwise, the glass cuvette may become permanently stained.

I have also found that you should get the packet open and ready to pour in the cuvette, if you take too long it will turn off and reset. Why not use the timer option? Mine still has small debris after shaking for 20 seconds too.

LarryM is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That would be my grumble.... too little time on timer to mis regeant... otherwise no problems... picked mine up from CA.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
      I have also found that you should get the packet open and ready to pour in the cuvette, if you take too long it will turn off and reset. Why not use the timer option? Mine still has small debris after shaking for 20 seconds too.
      I carefully have been following the instructions and using a lint free towel to make sure I don't have any fingerprints or wetness on the cuvette. I also have the package open and ready to add once the meter has been zeroed.

The one time I tried to use the timer, and push the button, that is when it went back to "Add, Press, C.1"

It seems to work up until I close the lid with the water and reagent and want to get the reading.

Jayson, I may try the 2 cuvette method.

laffingcrow is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thumbs up Two cuvette method

I don't think the timer option gives you enough time for the reagent to fully dissolve and shaking it more doesn't speed up the process, only creates more bubbles.
      Thumbs up on the two cuvette method... makes things easy for me.
      Once I did it that way I began to understand why they give you two.

Anyone want my Salifert kit??? I'll never use it again and from what I keep hearing they just don't tell you what you really need to know.
      Look here for my Tanks
      20 Gal. mixed reef, 9000k/, 455nm LED's, ATS algae filter: no skimmer

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67120
      3.3 Pico Softy tank
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72222

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I tried it again yesterday and was able to get the timer to work. After the 3 min. I got a reading of 0.00ppm I thought I would get a reading for sure. I'll test again to see if it is working properly. I didn't do anything different, it just worked like it was suppose to.

Anybody know where to order more of the reagent and how much they cost?

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
      Anybody know where to order more of the reagent and how much they cost?
      I ordered mine when I got the unit, a pack of 25 was like ~$7. I'm not sure if Custom Aquatic stocks the refills, but you can check with them.

I am:
      Awesome

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information