• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Turf scrubber thread

mextli is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm going to make a mini enclosed scrubber like Santamonica's version. Already bought the acrylic, but i'm still looking for a pair of Coralife mini Aqualights to use. Video of Scrubber
      Last edited by mextli; 03-26-2010 at 08:26 AM.

ChouDawg is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

dang $700 for his scrubber thats more then all my tank expenditures to date. I think scrubbers are definitely more practical for large tanks or tanks with a sump area.

Two Bit Scooter is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey, did anybody see a bandwagon go by?

pazhope is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It looks pretty nice, I tried a design like that but my space is limited. What size of light you put on it? how big is the tank?

aanntthhoonnyy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Its the new HIATT method!!!!!!

Diver Dan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It is the new fuge
      Im pretty sure you can get the same result with 3 handfulls of calurpa and some chaeto in a fuge. Or, you can take care of your tank and do a couple of water changes... But it's up to you

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
      ... Or, you can take care of your tank and do a couple of water changes... But it's up to you
      Thbbft! -Bill the cat

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by pazhope View Post
      It looks pretty nice, I tried a design like that but my space is limited. What size of light you put on it? how big is the tank?
      It's a ~50g thats been set up for about two years. http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64587

The 'fuge is a 20g with a raised section for the bac-pak intake, a rubble and chaeto section and the return. I've got some kind of fry (maybe yellow goby or mandarin, both are possible) in the rock so I've been overfeeding and adding phyto to boost pods hoping a few will survive. The drop from the skimmer part of the sump has become a sort of de facto turf scrubber. I just made it official by adding the mesh. The light is a standard HomeDepot 23w cf flood.

goody is offline Registered User
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by laffingcrow View Post
      You bet... any algae removed = nutrient removal... you may even be able to put a screen in the overflow to harvest even more... HOWEVER be careful about how much algae grows so as not to clog the return.
      I just about clogged one of mine by not watching the drain... I had a screen very close to the drain and could not figure out why it was draining so slowlyBrian
      Wow, were you right! I finally got around to scraping the algae away from my overflow and I didn't realize it was draining so slowly until I removed the algae.
      Here are some photos of what was growing in my overflow. I'm thinking of putting a screen in my refugium section and see how it grows there. I already have the light and flow there, so I'll see how it goes.
      Here is what my overflow looked liked

Here is the algae I scraped off

jcal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have one t-5 bulb right on top of the output of the remora pro HOB and a filter sock in the pre-skimmer box...That is the same crap of algae growing. I have to weekly pull that crap out. I guess I have some sort of turf scrubber.

drainbamage is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jcal View Post
      I have one t-5 bulb right on top of the output of the remora pro HOB and a filter sock in the pre-skimmer box...That is the same crap of algae growing. I have to weekly pull that crap out. I guess I have some sort of turf scrubber.
      Awesome advanced TAS jcal!

turf scrubbers are one of the simplest concepts...just create some surface area and get algae to grow on it. How some have overcomplicated it with all sorts of rules and exacts boggles my mind (I know I know, not hard to do, but still). Next sumped tank I'm going to have is essentially going to have an area with some fiberglass window screen as a rundown "slide" going into a chaeto/caulerpa bin (will do the perma-light thing like I've always done for Caleurpa). Don't see a need for anything fancier than that, and yet to see any real proof that something that costs more than $50 is worth it. Most "turf-algae scrubbers" aren't growing the true turf-algae anyways as they're not using a surge method. It's just hair algae that you're able to pull out of system simply and easily. Fast enough caulerpa growth, or chaeto that's cultivated rapidly will do the same, just minus the 500 page long rants about how amazing it is.

Sorry, just my

vinny73 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Enjoying the peace and quiet
      of owning property and space.

I am:
      Awesome

Here is one I just did last night on my 60g cube tank. Have had one running on my 40g for about 2 years and I must say, it works really well. Algae's gonna grow somewhere, might as well let it grow in your sump and also let it feed your corals. http://www.seareef.com/SD/showthread...21-May-Meeting

ensiferum321 is offline Site Elder
      My status is: To be continued

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by vinny73 View Post
      Here is one I just did last night on my 60g cube tank. Have had one running on my 40g for about 2 years and I must say, it works really well. Algae's gonna grow somewhere, might as well let it grow in your sump and also let it feed your corals. http://www.seareef.com/SD/showthread...21-May-Meeting
      Looks really Good! Keep us posted with results!

vinny73 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Enjoying the peace and quiet
      of owning property and space.

I am:
      Awesome

I will just start posting a weekly picture of the skimmer and it's growth. The tank inhabitants are kinda useless to post pics of cause they grow so slow, and.... only the owner knows, if they're really happier or not. thank you, Vinny

laffingcrow is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thumbs down Not even close

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
      It is the new fuge
      Im pretty sure you can get the same result with 3 handfulls of calurpa and some chaeto in a fuge. Or, you can take care of your tank and do a couple of water changes... But it's up to you
      Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this... a little encouragement from Coraldiver and the meeting at vinny's helped a lot.
      Just goes to show how hard change can be... at one time bio balls and protein skimmers were new.
      The new refugium yes, only way more efficient. (the science is solid)
      No Macro "Chaeto/Calurpa" can out compete a true Turf of Micro Algae that takes a little time to develop... and way less space.
      Concept "SIMPLE" ??? you bet... Too many rules ??? may not be the hobby to be in if your set up doesn't work.
      If you still have a Hair Algae problem... perhaps you should look into an ATS.
      A properly built ATS... meaning the right flow... light... screen... will take care of even the worst Hair Algae in a few weeks once the phosphate finally leaches out of the rocks.
      No more rants...Only honest to goodness excitement vs. bad info not spam... only good info for anyone willing to read and listen.
      It's not hard to tell who is not taking care of their tanks.

Glad to see your set up Vinny73 and harvesting that return (18 gallons worth) for almost free... wow. as for bulb... use (Soft White).

I welcome anyone who doubts how well it works to come check out my set up any time. Just PM me with a time and come on over.
      Brian
      Look here for my Tanks
      20 Gal. mixed reef, 9000k/, 455nm LED's, ATS algae filter: no skimmer

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67120
      3.3 Pico Softy tank
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72222

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information