• + Reply to Thread
    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Scuba trip to Belize

stephj03 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Our guide coaxing a crab out of his home during a night dive

How come all my corals look better when they end up in other people's tanks?:hideeyes:

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Morey
      How come all my corals look better when they end up in other people's tanks?:hideeyes:

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by socalaly View Post
      WHY is there a bounty on the lions head? I love lion fish so cute. Do they do something harmful to the reefs?
      This one is non native and it had some sort of detrimental impact on the reef. I think it was agressive towards some of the native fish or something. Lions are cool, so long as they exist in a native habitat or in balance with a non native one. Belize has a lot of GDP locked up in the reef so they are a bit testy about that kind of thing. They took the Florida DFG warnings serious.
      Last edited by stephj03; 12-29-2009 at 05:09 PM.

socalaly is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Pardon my ignorance ;( but what is gdp? and dfg?

Quote Originally Posted by stephj03 View Post
      This one is non native and it had some sort of detrimental impact on the reef. I think it was agressive towards some of the native fish or something. Lions are cool, so long as they exist in a native habitat or in balance with a non native one. Belize has a lot of GDP locked up in the reef so they are a bit testy about that kind of thing. They took the Florida DFG warnings serious.
      Aly Gator is here

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Gross Domestic Product. It's a measure of the sum value of goods and services of a given economy. Belize doesn't really have any industry besides ecotourism. So anything that risks losses in the reef or in the rainforrest is a big deal. Even the fishing is tightly regulated. You have to go out with a liscenced guide and they limit how many can become liscensed.

Department of Fish and Game. IDK if its the same title for the one in Florida, but the guides that took us diving said that some sort of govt office has sent the word out in the carribean a few years back that these were on the loose and could pose a risk to the reef.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Schooling fish

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

sand gobies? Garden eels?

Last edited by stephj03; 12-29-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This turtle was sleeping when we found it. It woke up and came right up to my wife to say hello. Nobody was forcing it in that direction and she was never holding it in place. It let her pet it's head and everything.
      Last edited by stephj03; 12-29-2009 at 05:45 PM.

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

Thats some good luck right there!
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

ajn81 is offline Registered User
      My status is: ....

I am:
      Cool

Great pics!!

Looks like a great trip.

I tried to get help the color contrast on a few of your pictures using the color adjust tool in photoshop, but it's pretty tough with no frame of reference.

[FONT=arial][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?78565-130-Gallon-Reef-in-the-Babies-Room%21&highlight="][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=RoyalBlue]130 Gallon Lagoon in the baby's room.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49296"][COLOR=Green]9 gal Fresh Water Planted.[/COLOR][/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?86273-My-Work-Desktop-Nano-FWP"][COLOR=#ff8c00]2 gal Fluval SPEC Desktop Planted Tank.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
      [URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?55354-Recent-Acrylic-Projects"][COLOR=#a52a2a]Acrylic Projects[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]

sdreefer69 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Awesome Pics, wish i could take pictures when i go out next year ... if you know anyone with an Underwater camera for sale, i'm in the market
      [COLOR="Blue"]60 gallon euro braced main display W/ durso overflow - CPR aqua fuge W/ rio 800 skimmer - ehiem return - tunze nano stream 6025 & 6045 - two little fishes reactor (both UN modded) - 4 bulb tek fixture with uv bulb [/COLOR]

maus42 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by sdreefer69 View Post
      Awesome Pics, wish i could take pictures when i go out next year ... if you know anyone with an Underwater camera for sale, i'm in the market
      Might be getting ready of an old, very basic model Sea&Sea with a flash boom so you can get nice pretty colors for at least 6'-10' in clear water. Not a digital rig though, it uses this stuff called "film". I also have a couple extra lenses for it.

I'll let you know if I am getting rid of it and how much (no idea what its worth these days). I just know it's time for me to move up to a more complex camera to get the shots that I want- basically want at least a d90(300 would be better) with an underwater housing (can we say duh?), dual boom flashes, and a basic set of lenses including a nice wide angle, macro, etc.
      Last edited by maus42; 12-30-2009 at 02:38 AM.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Wow, looks like an awesome trip.
      Thanks for sharing pics.
      There's a fine line between owning your tank, and having your tank own you!_________________________________________

120G SCA starfire, tunze 1073.02 return pump, Geisemann reflexx 4xT5, 2x panorama pro LED strips, 2x Vortech MP 20's, 40g sump w/ fuge.

Live Water Aquariums is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Great pics!!! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ajn81 View Post
      Great pics!!

Looks like a great trip.

I tried to get help the color contrast on a few of your pictures using the color adjust tool in photoshop, but it's pretty tough with no frame of reference.

Thanks for the help with the pics. We're real photog noobs. I just found out your suppose to calibrate the white balance before shooting. I can't tell you how much better it looks in person. You go down 40' and start swiming out to sea. Before you know if your on a canyon ridge with 60' of water above you and 60' of water below you in the trough. Sealife all along the walls and ridges. Swimming from ridge to ridge is like flying. And the visibility was almost 200ft in some places.
      Last edited by stephj03; 12-30-2009 at 11:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information