• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DIY LED build

kjsreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

jharr, true, my frag tank is very shallow, but the lights are almost a foot above the water line. I have a kill-a-watt and will do that analysis this weekend.

Yes, in general, LED's give you more light for less energy and should reduce your costs, that is why there is such an LED craze right now. However, the commercial units are wicked expensive.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

One of my next projects may be to build a 24-36LED (72-108 watt total) system and try it over my main tank which currently has a 250w radium MH. The 24-36 LED kits are only $240-340.

smirkis is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i know. i've seen people build some big ones for big tanks too. looks interesting. im trying to follow someones 120gal LED build, like 120 LED's over a 4ft tank

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ran the kill-o-watt analysis last night. Now first, keep in mind that I don't think my 36 watt LED is exactly equal to my 150 DE MH in terms of PAR but here are the results.

12x3W LED fixture is 97.3kWh per year (8 hrs per day) @ $0.23/kWh = $22/yr
      150w DE MH fixture is 233.6 kWh per year (8 hrs per day) @$0.23/kWh = $54/yr

Thus, it's about 1/2 the cost run with LED's

Still have to see if the LED fixture gives the same growth and color of the MH.

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Keep us posted. It might be time for me to start doing some reefing!

DiverDave is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Hi guys. I'm building a 12 x 3w led light now. Check out the link below. Pretty sure that this is the link kjsreef is talking about. I can't vouch for the information personally but some of these guys have done the PAR for similar systems and look to be equal or greater than that of a 150W HQI.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...&#entry2572547
      Last edited by DiverDave; 01-08-2010 at 09:39 AM.

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by kjsreef View Post
      Ran the kill-o-watt analysis last night. Now first, keep in mind that I don't think my 36 watt LED is exactly equal to my 150 DE MH in terms of PAR but here are the results.

12x3W LED fixture is 97.3kWh per year (8 hrs per day) @ $0.23/kWh = $22/yr
      150w DE MH fixture is 233.6 kWh per year (8 hrs per day) @$0.23/kWh = $54/yr

Thus, it's about 1/2 the cost run with LED's

Still have to see if the LED fixture gives the same growth and color of the MH.
      When I calculate power comsumption for MH 150w @ 8 hrs/day, I get 438 kwh/year, which equals $100.74 yearly usage cost. Looks like the leds are way cheaper to me, or is my math wrong?

pazhope is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

150W * 8hrs = 1200W = 1.2 KW (one day)

1.2 KW * 365days = 438 KW (one year)

The fixture looks great, let us know your results.

Quote Originally Posted by unbereefable View Post
      When I calculate power comsumption for MH 150w @ 8 hrs/day, I get 438 kwh/year, which equals $100.74 yearly usage cost. Looks like the leds are way cheaper to me, or is my math wrong?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think my mistake was that I actually am running a 70w MH unit and not a 150. Have to check the ballast to be sure.

GrantMBrady is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What are the dimensions of the frag tank you are running this LED system over/ what are the dimensions that this 12 bulb system covers?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The frag tank is shallow (6 inches) but the LED lights are a good 1ft off the surface. the tank dimenions are 24x12x6 deep.

klierman is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hmmm.... I need to check out some of these LED threads on RC and get in on the fun... Right now i'm running a 250MH on my sump/frag area, but i'm putting bulbs from my main tain (as opposed to new) bulbs in there, so its never really getting super great PAR anyway... and if i can save some heat/electricity, that would be good.

BTW, I have a PAR meeter if you really want to check the output and compare side by side.

DiverDave is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

If you want info on LED's and LED builds, go here and set up an account.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...2&hl=led+build

Last edited by DiverDave; 02-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.

laffingcrow is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Talking Turn key DIY LEDs

Here's what I found after months of looking for parts, power supplies, heat sinks etc., and comparing dollars / watt for the leds and time and trouble to heat up the soldering iron...
      They come complet with power supply, cord, and are already mounted to an aluminum panel that acts as a heat sink with holes in each corner for mounting. Just plug it in and get your sunglassed out.
      I have one panel hanging pendant style now until I get my second panel and canopy built.
      I got them off e-bay from LED wholesalers.com $145.00 with free shipping or 155.00 buy in now price.

I don't have a PAR meter but my sekonic meter tells me they are twice as bright as my 72 watt compact flourescents and equal to one members T-5 setup that I measured and only consume half (36 watts) of power.
      They are advertised as being the same brightness as a 200 watt MH and look to be close.
      I found them to be very pinpoint light source (as expected) however after burning a small hole in my orange monti cap I got some diffuser material from HD to spread out the blue and white pattern.
      The panel is 10 inches sq. and lights an area about 18" sq. @ ten inches above the aquarium.
      I now have a second panel to give full coverage of my 24" wide tank.
      One panel would be great for any nano up to 24 or 28 cube style tank.
      One drawback I can see and am willing to live with is you can't turn off the white/blue seperately or power them up slowly to approximate nature.
      They also have a 120watt model that is completely turn key with cooling fans... more $.
      Thanks for your interest,
      Brian
      Look here for my Tanks
      20 Gal. mixed reef, 9000k/, 455nm LED's, ATS algae filter: no skimmer

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67120
      3.3 Pico Softy tank
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72222

JoeJ is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cocky

dimmable LED driver

I wonder if you'd find this useful for your dimmable needs? It's interesting in that it can work with the RKE controller, too.

Quote Originally Posted by laffingcrow View Post
      Here's what I found after months of looking for parts, power supplies, heat sinks etc., and comparing dollars / watt for the leds and time and trouble to heat up the soldering iron...
      They come complet with power supply, cord, and are already mounted to an aluminum panel that acts as a heat sink with holes in each corner for mounting. Just plug it in and get your sunglassed out.
      I have one panel hanging pendant style now until I get my second panel and canopy built.
      I got them off e-bay from LED wholesalers.com $145.00 with free shipping or 155.00 buy in now price.

I don't have a PAR meter but my sekonic meter tells me they are twice as bright as my 72 watt compact flourescents and equal to one members T-5 setup that I measured and only consume half (36 watts) of power.
      They are advertised as being the same brightness as a 200 watt MH and look to be close.
      I found them to be very pinpoint light source (as expected) however after burning a small hole in my orange monti cap I got some diffuser material from HD to spread out the blue and white pattern.
      The panel is 10 inches sq. and lights an area about 18" sq. @ ten inches above the aquarium.
      I now have a second panel to give full coverage of my 24" wide tank.
      One panel would be great for any nano up to 24 or 28 cube style tank.
      One drawback I can see and am willing to live with is you can't turn off the white/blue seperately or power them up slowly to approximate nature.
      They also have a 120watt model that is completely turn key with cooling fans... more $.
      Thanks for your interest,
      Brian

Thread Information