Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBRS Future! It's up to you!!!!

vinny73 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Enjoying the peace and quiet
      of owning property and space.

I am:
      Awesome

SBRS Future! It's up to you!!!!

Several people have asked what happened to the meetings. The answer is simple. Hosts have put out money for food, a place to have the meeting and noone showed up. I'm not sure why. I figured maybe it was the time of year. Then I figured, well maybe cause we don't do a raffle. Maybe because the frag tank isn't being used anymore. Maybe it's me.

Here's the situation, I will , have, taken a break from running the show and allowing others to step up and do something with the club. Noone has shown any interest. So..... December meeting will be cancelled. We will do one last meeting in the end of January. If there is not a turnout at this meeting then Iwill shut the club down and the reason will be because of you. I can no longer ask people to host, watch them get all excited about showing off all their stuff to you and then be let down. That's not cool. I understand people have busy schedules. So do I. I'm not one to sugar coat the truth to make reality easier for people to swallow. Here's the medicine. What you choose to do with it is up to you. I hope to see people run with this and do some good. We have had some killer meetings in the past. I will not run the show solo anymore. I can't find vendors, post, arrange topics, call on people to get them to come out all on my own. A good club requires the help of others.

So, I have asked for suggestions to make the club more appealing, informative, and serving to its audience and haven't heard any responses.

Here's your chance. Vinny
      Your inability to comprehend just cracks me up!
      Tanks are all gone. House never sounded so quiet. It's kind of a spooky kind of quiet. Pretty sweet though.

I am:
      Awesome

Okay, after talking with Lisa a bit about this, and getting some encouraging words from a fellow friend, I think maybe the meetings might just be too often? Or, weekends are bad for most? I know for me, I would like to attend the SDMAS meetings but, I wake up at 4am and am in bed by 830pm. When I get off work at 230pm, and head home, going out after work, 4 hours later, is just not something I do. For me, it's about timing. So, gimme some input please. What works for you? She also said, you know, having a meeting at like Dave N Busters, havin a couple beers and playin some air hockey and just shootin the sheet with fellow reefers sounds good too. Meeting up at Tower 3 in PB. Sittin in the sand on the beach and just chatting about stuff. Is this whole club thing too formal?

What works for you? Quarterly meetings? I know months go by soooo fast. I can hardly keep up with what I got going. Jojo to is a bit up in arms as to what to do. I get alot out of the fellowship with others at the meetings. No matter what, I have allways learned at least 1 thing new at every one. I have been blessed enough to have had the pleasure of learning soooo much from our friend Jasper when he was with us. The meetings original intent was to get a few oldtimers together and as many people new to the hobby and help them succeed in such a difficult hobby. Kinda giving back to the community if you would. I think we have done quite a bit of that in the past and would like to continue it. But I, am not the meeting. YOU are.
      Tanks are all gone. House never sounded so quiet. It's kind of a spooky kind of quiet. Pretty sweet though.

I am:
      Awesome

I noticed a decline in attendace when I discontinued using the frag tank. The only problem with using the frag tank, was people were bringing pest with their corals and others were introducing them into their tank. Such a bad idea! I have a new design for a frag tank where each person gets their own compartment. Just haven't finished it yet. Is the frag tank a winner or what?

I am:
      Awesome

Bump!

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

lets do poker at my house to spice up SBRS

vicfish is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hahah im in!
      [url]http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61645[/url]
      my tank! :)

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

I've only gone to a few of the South Bay meetings, but I have to say a frag swap is always good incentive. Compartments are a good idea. Kinda like the crawfish/puffer tank at PK or a smaller version of the small fish tanks at AW.

Quarterly meetings may also work better for the regulars.
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?116749-My-Macro-Lagoon"][IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mbhxD0Ml5E0/VPH2Rk6alTI/AAAAAAAAOQo/UQCJTMb6rkY/w500-h85-no/DSC_0052.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?45059-ACBaldwin-feedback"]Feedback [COLOR=Lime]9[/COLOR]/[COLOR=Yellow]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR=Red]37[/COLOR][/URL]

DiverDave is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Hey Vinny,

Thanks for putting this out there. I would guess that people always believe that a good thing will always be there,"...so maybe next meeting." It's only after a good thing is gone and people begin to think, "Holy cow that was a great thing, damn!", and that's too late. I hope that this kicks a few in butt and revitalizes SBRS, not only for the corals, and equipment, but there are so many really great prople who, when involved, really do 'make the club'. Keep your chin up, I'll keep my head down(for now), everyone else be forwarned; please do not let a great thing get away! See you all in April!
      Here is the Rimless Build--[url]http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?103532-DiverDave-s-starting-up-again[/url]!

Here's the Rimless inhabitants-- [url]http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?107468-DiverDave-s-10-Gal[/url]

MY (Prior) 5 GAL NANO--[URL]http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71121[/URL]

[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Blue]"KEEP HONKING!!! I'M RELOADING!!!"[/COLOR][/FONT]

I am:
      Awesome

Wow!

Sweet! I like the feedback! Pokers good! With a jackpot frag or colony. I do believe Quarterly is a sound idea. For me, before this all started, I couldnt wait to get to a meeting. So maybe a downtime period for frag growout and encrusting to take place and maybe the soul will be down for some fellowship amongst the community. I live in IB so everyone's house if far for me. But after being to some folks houses in north county, it's like, you know, if I really needed something, I could make the trek up here no problem and I allready know this person. So by getting out there and going to meetings, you greatly broaden you wealth of support and knowledge database. The network of people you can bounce ideas off of becomes more personal. It's not just an avatar. It's an understanding of the husbandry that ones friends provide for their own tanks. By knowing this. YOU KNOW WHO YOU WANNA GET YOUR NEXT PRIZE FROM ! And you know this.......maaaaaan!

There doesn't allways have to be a discussion or lesson in a formal format. A bunch of folks swappin suds and stories seems like a good start. A restart that is. I think some more ideas are lurking out there. I would like to further elaborate on your needs and desires of club functions.

I know folks on here dive and snorkel, summer trip?

I am:
      Awesome

Getting the ball rolling on a frag setup will eventually take place. Just need to find like a 36" acrylic tank to cut down to like 8 tall. And create like 6x6 separate compartments . It's just a matter of finding the time and materials.

dese is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

How about having a bottle of revive at the meetings and dip every ones corals before going in the frag tank ?

Can you draw me a design of how your think the tank should look? or is it just 3'x3' with 6" compartments, no moving water, skimmer, ect , so the water doesn't mix with the each of the corals?
      [B]Dennis 619-207-1243
      [/B]

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by dese View Post
      How about having a bottle of revive at the meetings and dip every ones corals before going in the frag tank ?

Can you draw me a design of how your think the tank should look? or is it just 3'x3' with 6" compartments, no moving water, skimmer, ect , so the water doesn't mix with the each of the corals?
      I don't know much about that product. Will it kill flatworms, zoo eating nudi's, redbugs, and such? That alone is what I've gotten from the frag tank.

I could draw you something but it would have to be with a crayon and butcher paper. I'm not computer savy enough to do such things. I have a 4 foot by 18 inch tank now. I cut it down to about 10 tall. It is drilled for a sump but, really, it's alot of work to setup all that. A tank, a remora pro skimmer and some lights is about all we need. I got a 400w mh dual ballast and 1 reflector with mogul base. That is if Ivan still has it. You think we could fill a 3'x2' tank with 6x6 compartments? That's 24 compartments. If anything, if it is divided completely, and there is no flow, I could build a manifold y every cubical could have a slow air feed to keep the water oxygenated. That would be a grip of work and money for all the fittings and valves. If we could find an all in one dip, I'd be down to build or fund the building of a new frag tank.

fish king is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

im getting a brand new frag tank that could be used

im down to support poker im there i could have it at my house im in pb its not southbay.but anywyas willattend if other location is secured
      THICK ACRYLIC TANK CLUB

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Revive should handle most of the common threats.
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

sbanks78 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hey vinny73 not sure what your guys budget is like, but i'm the maintenance engineer at Kings Inn and have meeting rooms . Maybe we cant set something up where we can have speakers, a mini frag swap , people can enjoy the heated pool and spa also. I will get a discounted price for the room also. lmk what you think

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information