• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My better half RIP

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My thoughts are with you. So sorry about your loss.

CNCreefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You know, this caused a financial hardship since I am responsible for the bills she used to pay. And the landlord here knows it. Wanna know what he did? Raised the rent. ***? I am beginning to lose my faith in people anymore. Why are people so cold hearted ? I feel like since she's gone, he doesn't want me here...I'm probably going to have to sell off a bunch of stuff and find another place. Friggen greedy money grubbers. I have had to put up with lowlife tweekers for 2 years and get treated like dirt and the tweekers are gone now but the guy who is fixing up the place has NO consideration or respect for the people who live here, and I still get treated like dirt. GRRRR why do the good people like her die off while the scumbags gets to live a nice long life?
      Last edited by CNCreefer; 01-06-2010 at 05:58 PM.

afitzwater is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cocky

damn thats so heartless, let me know as a fellow reefer if i can help out in anyway!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That blows. How in the world could he raise the rent in this economic climate? Does he have someone else in the wings who will pay more? I have had to LOWER rent to fill my rental. What planet is this guy living on? If he turns into a total turd, just don't pay your rent. It will take him three months (or more) and court action to get you out, plus all of his court costs. Even IF he wins that, there is no legal way for him to squeeze money out of you. (I know this because a world class loser living in my house in Riverside did this to me.- she claimed the heater did not work- after she and her "husband" screwed with it.)

hughjaas is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

incredible, what an ass - especially around the holidays.

your girlfriend didn't have any type of life insurance? some employers and/or health plans automatically include a small insurance plan- maybe a couple thousand dollars- that she might not have even known about. you should check into it. I don't know how you would claim it though. worth a shot.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If he turns into a total turd, just don't pay your rent.
      And that will screw up my credit report and make it impossible to rent anytime soon.
      Actually, the guy who owns the place is pretty cool. I think the POS who is fixing up the place where the tweekers lived told him to do it.
      My sister wanted to move in there so I asked the landlord/owner how much the rent was....$1750 per month for a 2 bdrm 1 bath apt. Jeez you can BUY a house for that.
      He wants to put this place on the market. $450,000 for a house with a sagging roof, electrical issues, plumbing issues, and the foundation, if you can call it that ( house sits on stilts sunk into the ground ) is sinking into the ground. I don't think anyone will touch it...
      Last edited by CNCreefer; 01-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

He can't repost ANYTHING to a credit agency until after the case is settled. What is his reason for raising the rent? He has to have a legal one. He can't just raise the rent so (or until) you will leave.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

He told me he's losing money because his mortgage is like $1800 and the only rent money he gets now is from me. I was paying $750 which is pretty good but he jacked it up to $825. The thing is, this couldn't have come at a worse time. Plus I have something like $650 in extra expenses now on top of it. GRRRR the guy should be shot.
      Last edited by CNCreefer; 01-06-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Here is the law on rental increases:

RENT INCREASES
      How often can rent be raised?

If you have a lease for more than 30 days, your rent cannot be increased during the term of the lease, unless the lease allows rent increases.

If you have a periodic rental agreement, your landlord can increase your rent, but the landlord must give you proper advance notice in writing. The written notice tells you how much the increased rent is and when the increase goes into effect.

California law guarantees you at least 30 days' advance written notice of a rent increase if you have a month-to-month (or shorter) periodic rental agreement.

Under the law, your landlord must give you at least 30 days' advance notice if the rent increase is 10 percent (or less) of the rent charged at any time during the 12 months before the rent increase takes effect. Your landlord must give you at least 60 days' advance notice if the rent increase is greater than 10 percent.101 In order to calculate the percentage of the rent increase, you need to know the lowest rent that your landlord charged you during the preceding 12 months, and the total of the new increase and all other increases during that period.

Examples: Assume that your current rent is $500 per month due on the first of the month and that your landlord wants to increase your rent $50 to $550 beginning this June 1. To see how much notice your landlord must give you, count back 12 months to last June.

30 days' notice required: Suppose that your rent was $500 last June 1. Here's how to calculate the percentage of the rent increase and the amount of notice that the landlord must give you:

Your landlord therefore must give you at least 30 days' advance written notice of the rent increase.

60 days' notice required: Suppose that your rent was $475 last June 1, and that your landlord raised your rent $25 to $500 last November. Here's how to calculate the percentage of the rent increase and the amount of notice that the landlord must give you:

Your landlord therefore must give you at least 60 days' advance written notice of the rent increase.

Now suppose that your rent was $500 last June 1, but that instead of increasing your rent $50, your landlord wants to increase your rent $75 to $575 beginning this June 1. Here's how to calculate the percentage of the rent increase and the amount of notice that the landlord must give you:

Your landlord therefore must give you at least 60 days' advance written notice of the rent increase.

Normally, in the case of a periodic rental agreement, the landlord can increase the rent as often as the landlord likes. However, the landlord must give proper advance written notice of the increase, and the increase cannot be retaliatory (see Retaliatory Actions, Evictions and Discrimination). Local rent control ordinances may impose additional requirements on the landlord.

Increases in rent for government-financed housing usually are restricted. If you live in government-financed housing, check with the local public housing authority to find out whether there are any restrictions on rent increases.

Rent increase; notice and effective date

A landlord's notice of rent increase must be in writing. The landlord can deliver a copy of the notice to you personally.102 In this case, the rent increase takes effect in 30 or 60 days, as just explained.

The landlord also can give you a notice of rent increase by first class mail. In this case, the landlord must mail a copy of the notice to you, with proper postage, addressed to you at the rental unit. The landlord must give you an additional five days' advance notice of the rent increase if the landlord mails the notice. Therefore, the landlord would have to give you at least 35 days' notice from the date of mailing if the rent increase is 10 percent or less. If the rent increase is more than 10 percent, the landlord would have to give you at least 65 days' notice from the date of mailing.103

Example of a rent increase

Most notices of rent increase state that the increase will go into effect at the beginning of the rental period. For example, a landlord who wishes to increase the rent by 10 percent or less in a month-to-month rental effective on October 1 must make sure that notice of the increase is delivered to the tenant personally by September 1 or mailed to the tenant by August 27. However, a landlord can make the increase effective at any time in the month if proper advance notice is given.

If the increase in the rent becomes effective in the middle of the rental period, the landlord is entitled to receive the increased rent for only the last half of the rental period. For example:

Rental period: month-to-month, from the first day of the month to the last day of the month.
      Rent: $500 per month.
      Rent increase: $50 (from $500 to $550) per month (a 10 percent increase).
      Date that the notice of rent increase is delivered to the tenant personally: April 15 (that is, the middle of the month).
      Earliest date that the rent increase can take effect: May 15.
      If the landlord delivers the notice on April 15, the increase becomes effective 30 days later, on May 15. The landlord is entitled to the increased rent beginning on May 15. On May 1, the tenant would pay $250 for the first half of May (that is, 15 days at the old rent of $500), plus $275 for the last half of May (that is, 15 days at the new rent of $550). The total rent for May that is due on May 1 would be $525. Looking at it another way, the landlord is entitled to only one-half of the increase in the rent during May, since the notice of rent increase became effective in the middle of the month.

Of course, the landlord could deliver a notice of rent increase on April 15 which states that the rent increase takes effect on June 1. In that case, the tenant would pay $500 rent on May 1, and $550 rent on June 1.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

.....$825 for an apartment in North Park is lower than the going rate........... just a FYI.
      ....plus if you leave, he goes from $750 to nothing, again, unless he has someone else willing to pay more.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

He did give me a written 30 day notice and it's 10 percent. So he did do it right. I think I'm just going to start looking for a place. After all, we've been through hell here with the tweekers and other BS that goes on here. I have never been treated like this anywhere I have ever lived.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Probably best anyway. Fresh starts are always good. Just remember what a really good friend of mine once told me when a job I loved was closing down........ "one door closes and another door opens, but it is hell in the hallway." Best of luck my friend. Let me know if I can help in any way.

sgriffin760 is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

im sorry to here about your loss i will keep posted on this to be able to help out

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information