• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The adventure continues... SDguy's 150g upgrade!

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

The adventure continues... SDguy's 150g upgrade!

I always said that I would never upgrade my tank unless I moved. I always said I would never move unless it was to buy a place, instead of rent. Well, pop open the bubbly, because SDguy is a home owner

I decided to take advantage of the move and upgrade the reef. I was very happy with the old 115g setup. But there were a couple things I wanted to change...

1. I no longer wanted to use a closed loop. Back when I first designed that system, internal powerheads left a lot to be desired. Basically, either you were willing to deal with a giant black hairdryer looking thing in your tank, or you weren't. I was not, especially in an 18" wide tank. I loved my CL with the perimeter return manifold. But I hated the electrical consumption (Sequence Hammerhead :eek2: ), and the heat produced by the pump, especially since my apartment had no A/C. It was a vicious cycle... pump heat, warming tank, chiller running, warming the room, warming the tank more, chiller running more... you get the idea. Now, with all sorts of nice "powerhead" options like nanostreams and vortechs, I was ready to convert.

2. I wanted a larger tank. Now believe me, I had plenty of people telling me to go huge... 6, no 8 feet long, etc etc. Look, my philosophy is that I want a living room that happens to have an aquarium in it, not an aquarium room that maybe can squeeze in a sofa. So I decided to keep the tank dimensions the same, except I went 6" wider, ending up with a 48L x 24W x 30H. I know there are tall-tank haters, but I LOVE it. It makes for a stunning display, so I kept the height. And one major plus to this choice in size... I could use all the same equipment, since, let's face it, I'm not exactly rolling in money after a home purchase :crazy1:

3. I wanted a "prettier" tank. My 115g tank, stand, and canopy all came from glasscages. Solid, solid construction. But not the prettiest. This time I wanted the stand/canopy to be more of a furniture piece, and I wanted all the bells and whistles on the tank.

The choice: I went with Leemar. The tank is a 150g with recessed polished eurobrace, horizontal overflow with two 1.5" drains, black silicone, diamond/beveled edges, black background. The stand and canopy are maple. 36" tall stand, and 12" tall canopy. The stand has a rediculous amount of access through the front, and I paid extra to get the small access doors on the canopy as well as the entire front lifting up on a piano hinge.

Last edited by SDguy; 11-26-2009 at 09:51 AM.
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

I am:
      Geeky

The new tank was in a friend's garage for a while, since I had to go through shortsale hell with my home. I'd like one of these :uzi: for the banks that took me through that hell. But that's another thread

Finally, the day came to move the tank. Big thanks to all my reef club friends that helped me with all of this!!!!

Here is where it was going to be placed, after floors, paint, baseboards, etc got done. Ouch I'm too old for all that!!

And the moving begins:

Peter

I am:
      Geeky

Proud owner

Peter

I am:
      Geeky

The plan for the move of the livestock was this: Take Friday off work. Plumb the drains and anyhtign else "new" on the tank. Remove all the equipment from the old reef, and transfer it to the new tank. Saturday have people help me move the rocks and corals. Sunday move the fish. The old reef can function just fine with only the single vortech providing flow, for at least two days, so no worries there. Well, as they say, the best laid plans....

First of all, plumbing the new tank, including installing the equipment from the old tank, took FOREVER. LOng story short, we did the initial fill test at 5:30am saturday morning :eek2:

That's am, not pm!!!!

Last edited by SDguy; 11-07-2009 at 10:33 AM.
      Peter

I am:
      Geeky

Unfortunately I don't really have any pics of the livestock move, since everyone had wet hands. Basically, we moved 2/3 of the rock, with all coral attached, Saturday afternoon. We went back and moved the last 1/3, and all the fish, that evening, so by Saturday late night, the livestock was fully moved. Memorable events:

"Hey Peter, what's this coral still sitting in a ziplock at the bottom of a trash container?" Oh, that's just my mummy eye chalice colony!

"Hey Peter, what's this one rock that I dropped and had a coral go rolling across the living room floor?" Oh, that's just my pink boobies chalice colony!!

"Hey Peter, when did you transfer that one big yellow coris wrasse into the new tank? Didn't you want to get rid of him?" Oh, he was hidden in that single tiny pile of sand that came with one of the pillars. D'oh!

Some problems: My pillars used thin acrylic rods (3/8") and most leaned against the back of the tank, or the vertical overflow. Well, the new tank is wider, and has no overflow. Oops. Pillars are not quite stable. I fixed them as best I could, and will now just wait until the tank is settled before doing any major reaquascaping. I basically had to turn the center giant pillar 90 degrees and lean it against another pillar. This did create a kind of cool canyon effect though, which I may keep. Some crappy pics of the reef as it is now:

Peter

socalaly is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Looks great peter! I see that mean PBT is eying me even thru the computer!!!
      Aly Gator is here

ricenoodle is offline Registered User
      My status is: Cube Addict

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Very Nice Peter, nice selection on the tank.

Therapy is offline Registered User
      My status is: retired!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

First, congrats on the new home! I am glad your priorities remain straight. Reef tank intact, despite the new home !!!
      Wonderful choice in fish. I am anxious to see how they get along as time goes on.

luv4qt1004 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

amazing thank peter!!!! congrats on the house as well!

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

Absolutely goregous Peter. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the "neighborhood" so to speak.

88blazer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Looking good Peter. Makes me want to upgrade. Must resist to use credit card

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

Great upgrade!
      I am for sure a tall tank hater, even 24" on an 8 foot tank is a bit on the tall side.
      I just saw your 115 at Jon's house and I have to admit, it looks sick!

99sf is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wow, amazing that you were able to complete the new tank in about 36 hours! Very impressive! Look forward to seeing it in person.

h20poloman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: I'd rather be reefing than
      working

I am:
      Tired

wow Peter, that is pretty amazing that you were able to get everything from one tank into a brand spanking new tank. Love the new set up...now let's see the FOWLR.
      187G Reef Savvy 60x30x24

00/0Feedback

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Looks great! Long live the tall tank lovers!!!
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information