• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Turtle tank

mj1333 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Turtle tank

Anybody ever set up a turtle tank before? My kid saw some at PK, and he wants to get one. Are they hard to maintain? Are there turtles he could handle? I've heard some of them carry salmonella. What's the best one for a pet that he could occasionally handle? I know I could go to PK and ask all these questions, but thery're closed right now so I thought I'd run it through here. Thanks.

sandiegan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

red-eared sliders are the most common. I personally treat every turtle like it potentially has salmonella. Wash hands thoroughly (soap warm water) after touching etc etc. They seem to be fine out of the tank and can get to know handlers pretty well. Personally I think it'd be good that if he can't get to the turtle w/out your help/supervision. Just to prevent accidents etc. Feed can be pellets, sticks, or feeder fish/shrimp. But they will eventually need larger tanks (55g plus). Just my .02

glassyguy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

turtle tank

I have a 10 gal glass tank with a slip on reptile cover if you want. Tank is in perfect shape. lmk Steve

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I have a red eared slider in a 60g. They need special lighting and a basking area. Feeding is never really an issue, they seem to eat almost everything. I feed mine the pellets they sell at PK, earthworms, goldfish feeders from time to time. I keep him in a bare bottom because it is so much easier to clean. If you want to keep some sort of gravel be carefull that it is not small enough that he can eat, and yes they will eat the gravel. The problem with that is if the piece is small enough to fit in his mouth and to big to go out the other end, well, I think you get it. I myself would never keep one in a 10g, if you are going to get one might as well get the tank big enough that he can grow into and prevent from having to buy a larger one in a couple of months. Proper housing, good filtration, proper lighting, and the correct diet and everything will be fine. Now mine is very nippy because he was not held as much when it was younger so if this is going to be a pet for a child make sure that it is held very often or it will end up the same as mine. And last, always wash hands very thoroughly after every handling. If you have any more question PM me and I will try to help you the best that I can. If you decide to get one be prepared to be in it for the long haul because with the proper care they can live 50+ years. I have had my RES for 5 years. If you have any question or want to see my set up before you purchase to see what you are getting into PM me and I will help as much as I can.

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Turtles are cool, but extremely messy and dirty. You would definitely want a good-sized filtration on any tank with a turtle...otherwise after 2-3 days the water is getting really smelly and putrid looking.

Any Turtle and Tortoise can potentially carry Salmonella, no way of knowing without taking to a vet to have them tested ($$)...simply wash your hands after handling them / touching anything they've come in contact with and you'll be fine.

Turtles do not like to be handled or played with and will never like it no matter how often you handle them or how long you have them. They might learn to put up with it slightly and not scratch you quite as badly, but they will definitely Never willingly let you touch/carry/pet them. Tortoises are considerably 'chiller' and won't mind nearly as much.

A red eared slider (assuming that's what you're looking at?) would need a 20long as the absolute smallest tank...bigger would definitely be better (40breeder, 50gall, etc). They will need a heat lamp, UVB light, and a dock or land area were they can come out of the water and dry off and bask under the heat lamp. Care for them is pretty simple, especially compared to our reef tanks....feed daily, rinse out the filter as needed, water changes as needed (likely pretty frequently) and that's really about it.

mj1333 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Glassguy, Thanks, but I have more than enough tanks to choose from right now.
      Jason, I'll probably be hitting you up to check out your setup. May not be right away since I'm still putting some finishing touches on my 240 and solana. (Does it ever end?)
      Don't think the gf will let me start another project just yet.
      And Thanks for the info Chris.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Cool man, just let me know when you are ready. I am usually available anytime and as for the last question, no. I just set up a tank for my son because he caught a western fence lizard in the yard a couple of days ago, if it is not one thing it is the next, always something to improve on.

CNCreefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a turtle tank that was given to me. It is set up for a land turtle. The aquatic ones are too messy. Now all I need is a turtle. The fiance wants one of those baby land turtles ( tortoise ) that they have at PK. I took her to the pen they have there with the big ones and told her that's how big they get. She still wants one Maybe if the economy gets better and I don't have to worry about my job...

smirkis is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i added softshell turtle to my 400gal tank. my aros/friends took nice to him

no turtle specific tank, but boy does he love the space

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

They sell ones that stay fairly small, they are called box tortoise/turtle and only get to be about 8". Perfect for someone that doesn't want to deal with aquatic or the size of most tortoises.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information