I am:
      Cocky

I am trying to get one too....I found this helpfull site

http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That site is hopelessly outdated.... by about 2 years. Many controller & skimmer models listed are not even made any more, and there are plenty of newer models missing.

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

where can I find comparisons on the newer ones ? I want to get one but I need some direction

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

If you are very brave and have lots of time, you can check out the support forums on RC for Neptune and DA. Both companies have made their own "ours is better because" list. Both systems are good. Both have pluses and minuses, and both systems will continually be one upping the other, probably for years to come.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Besides the common Digital Reefkeepers and Neptune AquaControllers, there are many models.

Elos has a quite nice controllers, high quality but pricey (as with almost everything Elos).

Profilux has a very faithful following, and they recently expanded their presence in the US market with a good US distributor, and now have much better support for US customers. Plus they are soon to bring the Profilux III to market, which looks rather good ... and even the current model II has some unusual capabilities and great expandability. The Profilux starter kit is reasonably priced, but expanding a Profilux system gets real expensive real quick.

Lighthouse Pro XLS controllers have a decent rep, but the initial cost is out of range for most of us. ($900 for the starter kit, which gives roughly the same capaility as $500 Apex or RKE packages.), and like the Profilux, is expensive to expand.

The Biomatix eAquatix system is really impressive, but once again, is expensive.

There are number of good European-made controllers, but they are either unavailable in the US, or have very limited support in the US.... not even worth a look as a result.

If you want maximum value at minimal cost... look no further than the 3 RKL packages... nothing else even comes close in value for an entry-level/basic controller. Neptune's entry-level unit, the ACjr, is an old design, and that generation is not receiving any new development... basically, it's a dead product, and Neptune has given no indications that a replacement model is on the horizon.

Chances are the RKE or Apex will meet your current & foreseeable future needs... they both offer great capabilities at highly-competitive costs for an advanced controller.

As Dave said the Apex & RKE each have pluses & minuses, and overall have similar capabilities. There are some notable differences that may sway you toward one or the other. I concur with Dave - read both RC forums, weed out the obvious marketing BS & FUD, then ask questions here to Dave & I (the SDR/SDMAS resident controller nuts) and other owners of both products.

I am:
      Tired

Russ speaks words of wisdom.

Let me add five more:

Wait until Friday at MACNA.

Digital Aquatics will be making a couple things known that will start to give Curt at Neptune indigestion.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

As of this weekend, the choices got a big harder... as Dave mentioned, Digital Aquatics made some big announcements. Neptune did too:

Apex Lite - this is essentially an Apex without 0-10VDC dimming & Tunze variable speed ports. It has networking, temp, PH, control (for legacy DCs and X10) and is about $100 less than the Apex. The package includes the base, display and 1 EB8 and lists for $370 (you need a PH probe in addition). There are no other limits; you can add modules and EB8s till you run out of space to mount them!

* PM1 - 1 PH or ORP port + Temp and 6 inputs, expected to price around $75 (probe purchased separately)

* PM2 - Conductivity + Temp and 6 inputs, expected to price around $85 (probe purchased separately)

* PM3 - Dissolved Oxygen + Temp and 6 inputs, expected to price around $95 (probe purchased separately)

Watch for the Apex Light and PM1 modules to begin shipping within 4-6 weeks the PM2 and PM3 modules will ship fall this year (so about a month after the Apex Lite and PM1)

I am:
      Tired

Apex Lite?? You have got to be kidding. I guess Curt has lost all sense of creativity. This shows how much the competition between DA and Neptune is heating up. If Curt wasn't worried about losing market share to DA, then he wouldn't have copied the RKE when he designed the Apex. Then to top it off, he moves away from his previous naming conventions and calls this new one an Apex Lite instead of an Apex Jr. Even his module naming follows the way DA does it. That being said, we will all benefit from this "competition".
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I couldn't agree with you more, Dave, about the "Lite". I thought the exact same thing as you... and groaned a bit when I read the announcements . Maybe something like Apex LE or Apex Basic would have been more apropos.

Apex Lite isn't really a replacement for the ACjr IMO - the cost is too high. The Apex Lite appears to be targeted at those who never intend to use 0-10v dimmable lights or Tunze Streams, and don't want to pay for these advanced features of the Apex they will not use, i.e. as a mid-range offering rather than an entry-level one.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A huge new development in aquarium controllers... the Neptune Apex now interfaces with and controls Vortech WWD and ES pumps:

The Wireless expansion module (WXM) is scheduled to begin shipping the week of April 12th. Orders will be shipped in the order in which they were received.

The WXM features are:

•Wirelessly controls any of Ecotech's wireless pumps (WWD or EcoSmart).
      •11 Independent channels to support 11 pumps.
      •Supports Ecotech's Constant, Reef Crest, Lagoon Random, Pulse, Sync and Anti-Sync modes.
      •Modes of operation can be changed through the day.
      •Plug and Play. Automatically recognized when installed into the system.
      •Pumps can be dynamically added/removed from the system.
      •Two AquaBus connectors for flexible expansion via AquaBus
      •Comes with 3' AquaBus cable.
      •Fully upgradeable.
      WXM firmware and pump firmware can be updated for feature enhancement.
      •Led Status indicator and wireless status indicator
      •Compatible with Apex and Apex Lite systems

Haeun is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Woo! Wireless control of Vortechs? Awesome awesome. I love that the Apex Lite or Apex Jr, whichever it is (I wish they stuck to Apex Jr), has that option too. Whenever I upgrade my tank, I'm upgrading my Ac Jr for an Apex Lite
      Last edited by Haeun; 04-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information