• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 30 day wait to post

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by kalosbios View Post
      By the way, Russ, while reading through many posts (it is an addiction. . .), I have seen quite a few of your creations--in a word: incredible! I have learned so much just looking at the designs and reading the writeups. . . I need to get out more often and meet some of you!

Gordon
      Russ is THE man. Technologically astute, a craftsman and a generally cool guy...... for a reef nerd.

CruiseX is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Techknowledgy View Post
      I am not a big fan of the idea at all, for all of the reasons Gordon gave, and this one. When I am in the LFS, and there is someone there who has questions, I ALWAYS point them at sdreefs. I keep some extra business cards and just tell them that they are not alone. Do this when I meet new people at the pier too. Newbies are probably more often buyers than sellers. This idea is just a free enterprise market killer. The electronic door mat at sdreefs should always say "You are Welcome Here." ...... and in small letters below it......... "To become a Premium Member- Click Here."

(Just my never to be humble opinion.)
      Ahh this is how I ran into Roland - except I was already on SDreefs - at AW - then he came and grabbed some xenia from me.

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

all you guys are right...it is bs...I guess I forgot to mention that it was something not related to this hobby (that was the bs part) and Im ok with the purchase...sorry for hitting a nerve...I guess I brought out the real sdreef community in you...lol

swissfish is offline Premium Member
      My status is: WuFlu fighting!

I am:
      Piratey

You got a deal (at least i hope so) and that is what the site is used for by most people. Some people read this board for years without even having an account or just don't log in to just read it.
      I don't log in most of the time, when at work I usually just read.
      Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
      No one but ourselves can free our minds.
      Bob Marley

My Tank: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10341

the tank is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I am a newb to the hobby and to the site. Someone gave me this site and said "this should help you out" I didnt have anything 2 weeks ago but intrest. Today i purchased a 5x2x2 acrylic tank stand and canopy with sump and pump and the list goes on. I am now addicted! thanks guys... haha Luckily there were no restricstions for me as a new memeber. Def going to become a premium member the site has already saved me tons of heartache and money. thank you sdreefs

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Welcome. You are certainly in the right place. Free free to ask questions before you spend more $$. Become a premium member. It is well worth it!

godspeed240sx is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by carlichie View Post
      \.so how about a 30 day waiting period for "new" non-premium members to add a "for sale" post and instant "for sale" posts for "new" premium members...this aint sdcraigslist
      At least a "intro" would be nice?

drainbamage is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

like require people to post an introduction before being allowed to post anywhere else?

I don't like it too much- the last thing a smaller forum like this needs is new-fangled ways of making it over-complicated for the level of membership it has. On the nationals it makes sense to restrict- with their volume of traffic the spammers would get overwhelming.

But here? How many new threads a day do we really have (besides Bogg's endless threads in the for sale forum- seriously man, make one thread and list multiple items, please? You're making it rougher for other people to have their items on the front page, and it's not cool being that selfish.)
      I know there's the guy who posted his tank for 2500 bucks with no background, no pics, all that- but who's going to actually go buy it? So the guy wasted his time putting up the post, a tiny bit of the forums database got chewed up, and at the end of the day it's no biggy, IMO.
      Putting up restrictions to prevent those rare cases of bad apples isn't going to help the site considerably and will hurt traffic (hurt the site) by possibly giving off the wrong impression.

Just my .02 duetschemarks.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Plus if that happens we wouldn't be able to have the fun that is being had on the $2,500 thread, its all good .

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Oh sorry! I probably should've elaborated. I meant at least post an intro (or like 10 posts?) before being able to sell something?

drainbamage is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I hear ya tony- but only way we could force them to post an intro is to restrict their posting privileges to an specific forum (such as a member introduction forum.) Which means if they didn't know the rule/see the sticky wherever it is, they'd probably wind up getting frustrated and leaving-not enough good compared to the potential downside.

As for the minimum posts- it's bad enough on the nationals that require a minimum where a guy posts "hey, that's nice" or "i like it" in 50 different threads just to meet the minimum- and the nationals have plenty of mods to jump on it- here we just have Roland- so all we're going to do is get ourselves more spam to wade through.

Don't get me wrong- I don't like the Once and Done posters, but I can't see a good alternative that will actually have less issues rather than causing more.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
      Don't get me wrong- I don't like the Once and Done posters, but I can't see a good alternative that will actually have less issues rather than causing more.
      Yeah, we're on the same page.

Magiksurfman is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

about the once and done issue, isn't there a way to erase profiles after some inactivity ... i know i got booted off some forums for not being active, i only signed up to read.

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

I like "One Post Wonders"!!!
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."