• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 30 day wait to post

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

I came across a recent non-premium member that had posted something for sale the same day he registered. I bought the item and I havent seen him log back on since....so how about a 30 day waiting period for "new" non-premium members to add a "for sale" post and instant "for sale" posts for "new" premium members...this aint sdcraigslist
      Last edited by BajaReefs; 02-27-2010 at 10:45 PM.

dnraiders is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

if they cant post in those sections they will just post it in another section anyways

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I understand your frustration... it is frustrating to see people only posting for-sale or wtb threads. (I come very very close to being in that category myself! )

On the flipside, there have been many times when I'm out and about and meet someone with a tank for sale, or needing to buy something, so I refer them to SDreefs. It would suck for them if they urgently needed to buy something, or had to have their tank sold so they could move etc and they had to wait 30days to post!

JAHGYDI is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

maybe dont buy from somebody who isnt regulary on the boards

benzeeno is offline Registered User
      My status is: Empty 90 hex

I am:
      Friendly

Isn't feedback for that. I know I wouldn't buy on Ebay from somebody with a 1 or zero. Why don't more people use it?

Sam Maghsoodloo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i think this would be a reactionary measure, and would cripple the appeal of the site to gain new members. I'd rather be less exclusive than more. If you buy something from someone, you met them face to face (probably) and have contact info and phone numbers. So if there's a problem, there are many other means of getting your money back or whatever. We were all new members at one point

knjtoomey is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

30 day wait

this is #$%^ing ridiculous.

mj1333 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by carlichie View Post
      I came across a recent non-premium member that had posted something for sale the same day he registered. I bought the item and I havent seen him log back on since....so how about a 30 day waiting period for "new" non-premium members to add a "for sale" post and instant "for sale" posts for "new" premium members...this aint sdcraigslist
      Was there a problem with the item you bought? If not, I don't see an issue. This is a public forum. I'm sure there are many more people that stumbled onto this site or heard from another member that it would be a good place to buy or sell equipment, livestock, whatever, that have stuck around for a while than there are ones that just sell one thing and don't show up again. I for one am happy that I stumbled upon a member a couple years ago when I was getting into the hobby and about ready to pay $6-$8 a lb. for LR.
      Yes I've sold and bought ALOT of stuff here.
      The ones that get to me are the the ones that buy something on this site and then try to sell it here for twice what they paid for it!
      Thats what should go to craigslist.

ethibode is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Why would you not encourage people to use this site to sell their used equipment? I like second hand equipment that I dont have to pay an arm and leg for, I need them both and want all kinds of tanks and fish. If I want something and its good quality and inexpensive I'll buy it and you can turn your nose up at us both.

stephj03 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Selling/buying gear/livestock adds to the community just like posting in the other forums on sdreefs. Some members are looking for advice, some for friends, some for info on husbandry and disease, and some for stuff to buy and a place to sell.

I would consider the possibility that this person you speak of still lurks the forum. Threads like this diminish the odds that he/she will log in more often and participate in ways that you find more worthwile than selling you second hand goods.

Why discourage new people from being a part of sdreefs in whatever way they want to be involved?

CruiseX is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

30 day wait period - boooooooooo

kalosbios is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wink 30 days to establish what?

Hello all,

We all have come here initially for different reasons--why does it matter? Once you start meeting people face to face (through a sale, usually. . .), a greater sense of belonging starts to set in. That's the beauty of this community.

While at first you may only "troll" the FS/WTB categories, pretty soon you find yourself looking at member tanks, making a comment or two about how good they look, congratulating someone for a new baby in the lounge because you can relate, the chat room, giving advice that may be helpful in the reef-related discussions because you've already been through it, and the list goes on and on.

I, for one, am really glad I came here looking for (and selling. . .) equipment . It opened my eyes to a wonderful community of very generous people. . . always willing to offer their advice, encouragement, and sometimes even a helping hand. As far as building a community of people who share common interests, even non-premium members add something to this site. Start to exclude or restrict and you may never meet someone that could have a significant, positive impact here. Abusers will make themselves apparent. . . .

Enjoy your weekend,

Gordon
      Last edited by kalosbios; 05-08-2009 at 03:27 PM.

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well said, Gordon!

kalosbios is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Talking just goes to show you. . .

By the way, Russ, while reading through many posts (it is an addiction. . .), I have seen quite a few of your creations--in a word: incredible! I have learned so much just looking at the designs and reading the writeups. . . I need to get out more often and meet some of you!

Gordon

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I am not a big fan of the idea at all, for all of the reasons Gordon gave, and this one. When I am in the LFS, and there is someone there who has questions, I ALWAYS point them at sdreefs. I keep some extra business cards and just tell them that they are not alone. Do this when I meet new people at the pier too. Newbies are probably more often buyers than sellers. This idea is just a free enterprise market killer. The electronic door mat at sdreefs should always say "You are Welcome Here." ...... and in small letters below it......... "To become a Premium Member- Click Here."

(Just my never to be humble opinion.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information