• + Reply to Thread

Thread: shopping for digital slr under $1200

pukaboy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

shopping for digital slr under $1200

Preferrably under $1000..

Just checking to see what you all suggest for a decent DSLR...mostly concerned with taking action shots/sports...

Thanks in advance.

Nick_Kun is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

My two favorite budget DSLRs picks would be

Both cameras are great for begginers.
      http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos500d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

here's a comparison between the two.

http://www.neutralday.com/canon-eos-...osumer-battle/

The_Gryphon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Don't forget about Sony. Yes their raw file can give you a headache in third party applications, but their .jpeg is just fine. Yes they do not have as many lens options as Canon and Nikon, but which lens' do you need? Bet Sony has those ones. After owning and using all 3 brands, here's my take: Canon is the easiest to pick up and play with, Nikon offers so much more versatility, Sony auto-focus' the fastest, is the most comfortable (for my hands). Lots of people knock Sony for crappy high iso noise. My question is, how high of an iso do you plan to shoot at on a regular basis? Are you shooting for your pleasure or to make a living?

Any rate, you can't really go wrong with any of the above listed brands. Go to Calumet in Escondido and play with all the DSLR's in your price range, look at accessories that you might use, know what you plan to take photos of, and pick the body that best fits your hand. If you're shooting sports for a few hours and your camera doesn't feel comfortable, you're going to be hating that camera really fast.

I currently shoot a Sony A900. Wanted a full frame, has all the features I need, and was the most comfortable to me.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks!

Thanks for the input...My wife will be the one using it the most, taking pix at my daughters softball/volleyball games. I kinda wanted to get a feel of what was out there, and try and get the most bang for the buck!

Thanks again!

wsonner is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hi. Sorry for popping out of "lurk" on you but I couldn't help chiming in. I just picked up a Nikon D60 from Newegg for $542. So far I'm really happy with it. When I get some decent photos I will post for you. But I'm not that good with it yet, ahahah.

Wes

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by wsonner View Post
      Hi. Sorry for popping out of "lurk" on you but I couldn't help chiming in. I just picked up a Nikon D60 from Newegg for $542. So far I'm really happy with it. When I get some decent photos I will post for you. But I'm not that good with it yet, ahahah.

Wes
      No problem Wes...I was hoping I'd get more input with the 47 views but I'm cool with the 2-3 that I got...there's just so many different ones to choose from. Let's see the pix!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok, this was just a quick shot to see if I could even get a fish in the frame. Don't laugh . It is through dirty glass even but it's all I have of the tank since I JUST got the camera....Oh, and I put it in Macro mode for this shot.

Wes
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by wsonner View Post
      Ok, this was just a quick shot to see if I could even get a fish in the frame. Don't laugh . It is through dirty glass even but it's all I have of the tank since I JUST got the camera....Oh, and I put it in Macro mode for this shot.

Wes
      Nice shot...pretty sharp! Thanks for the post!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah, with any effort at all this camera will take awesome photos.

Wes

iceemn360 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

About two months late but I figured I might chime in.

I think the most important part of the process of choosing a camera is finding one that best fits you (obviously). Using reviews and what others recommend can be helpful but at the end of the day do you want a camera that Others enjoy or one that you are going to enjoy using/holding? Pretty much every make (Sony, Olumpus, Pentax, Nikon and Cannon) produces great DSLRs these days.

If you are looking for something rugged, that is relatively inexpensive when compared to similar models, and great image quality
      You might consider either the Pentax K10d or the Pentax K20d
      You can get a K10d kit for about 400-500
      REVIEW: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...entax_k10d.asp
      or a K20d Kit for about 700-900
      http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...pentaxk20d.asp
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0GJ4N1QR7MTE8Z

The k10d has a 10.2 megapixel CCD sensor, built in body shake reduction, dust reduction, Full body Weathersealing for Rain/and Dust (i've used mine in a downpour on many occasions), Magnesium alloy body (very very sturdy and an excellent build quality), RAW/JPEG, and the ability to use virtually any Lens ever made by Pentax (also known as the legacy K mount). The great side of being backward compatible with older autofocus and film lenses is that you have the opportunity to utilize some of the pest prime lenses in production at relatively low cost. The top dog in the 70s, pentax cameras are lurking in many peoples homes now adays and these old film bodies and lenses are a store house for all of those excellent lesnes (check out craigslist). I got a Pentax 100m F 2.8 prime for $50 and a Pentax 50m F1.4 for $40. As a college student the pentax systems allows for the user to attain high quality bodies and lenses for relatively little price. however if you wish to invest more there are plenty of nice pieces of glass in production (ie Pentax DA* 16-50m f2.8 and the Petax DA* 50-135 F 2.8)

The K20d has every bit of the qualities in the k10d and more. It has live view now (great for adjusting macro shots), a 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor (extremely fine sharpness and expanded ISO up to 6400), Full body weathersealing, dust reduction system, shake reduction, More in camera editing modes, very accurate AWB, larger LCD screen. I used a K20d for my 3 month trip to Costa Rica where it was battered by extreme heat, humidity, Rainy season Downpours/ waterfalls, Very dusty areas, was dropped about 5 feet (clumsy friend), and to clean both cameras up i just gave them a wash.

Sample images

k10d

k20d

But in the end the most important things is to find a camera that fits you... and the best way to find out is to go out to stores/ test them out/ borrow your friend's cameras/ ask to see other cameras at aquarium meetings (sdreefers are nice!). Every camera isnt perfect but you can definitely find one that meets your needs.
      Last edited by iceemn360; 06-29-2009 at 09:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information