Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Car

maus is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A Car

Hey all...

Anyone on the boards here have a car hookup or general knowledge for getting a good deal on a car. I only have 3500-3800 to spend on the car itself and have been looking at alot of Civics. If anyone could clue me in to what is a good deal in that price range, things to look out for, perhaps a person with connections to find said car, anything would help right now.

Thanks for your time

-Sean

sKwiD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The cars that you can afford will most likely have a lot of miles on them, which I'm sure you're aware of. But it looks like you're on the right track. Buying a car with 150K + miles can be shady, so definitely go with Japanese as they'll last longer than German/American.

How about this Integra with 74K miles? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1138960968.html

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by sKwiD View Post
      The cars that you can afford will most likely have a lot of miles on them, which I'm sure you're aware of. But it looks like you're on the right track. Buying a car with 150K + miles can be shady, so definitely go with Japanese as they'll last longer than German/American.

How about this Integra with 74K miles? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1138960968.html
      Nice find... I'll be calling him tomorrow morning :P

SDFISHMAN is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I would agree with the integra. Tons of parts and they run forever.. My next car..

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SDFISHMAN View Post
      I would agree with the integra. Tons of parts and they run forever.. My next car..
      I completely forgot about Integras, to be honest. I'll def. go start hunting some down to check out.

vlad_acosta is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This doent sound too bad i'd just make sure and check why its actually salvaged Run a carfax report. I see it looks all shinny but is that because it was wrecked and has a new paint job. Also remember that this car is more likely to get stolen make sure you get full coverage It saved my butt when they stole mine. From my house with the alarm on 5 feet from my bedroom window never heard anything. Dont leave anything in the car you dont wish to lose. Also this is a non Vtec lower end model the price should be for a higher end model

as long as everything checks out with the salvage title it sounds good. Im just always careful with salvage titles and try to get everything checked out. Personally i have a very biased experience with Integras because of what i went through with mine. I made the mistake of relying on someone else and paid for it in the end. Goodluck in your search i know its alot tougher to find a used car than walking up to the lot and saying i'll take that one in this color.
      Last edited by vlad_acosta; 04-24-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by vlad_acosta View Post
      This doent sound too bad i'd just make sure and check why its actually salvaged Run a carfax report. I see it looks all shinny but is that because it was wrecked and has a new paint job. Also remember that this car is more likely to get stolen make sure you get full coverage It saved my butt when they stole mine. From my house with the alarm on 5 feet from my bedroom window never heard anything. Dont leave anything in the car you dont wish to lose. Also this is a non Vtec lower end model the price should be for a higher end model
      I always run a carfax report and have the thing run down at my friends shop for any hidden weirdness before I buy. I also always get comprehensive coverage, so no worries there. Also, are you saying the price is too high for that car because it's a non Vtec? I really don't care if it is or not- I just want something reliable and I can do the easy work on myself.

pcon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Only bad thing about an Integra is that they are classified as sports cars...So you end up paying a premium for car insurance in comparison with like a 4 door Civic. Integras are built on the same chassis as the Civics car. Basically you are getting a high quality car with TONS of parts.

I agree with the rest of the guys though: Get a japanese car: Honda, Toyota. Can't go wrong. I drive a VW Beetle, but only because its one of the few small cars I can fit in.
      Last edited by pcon; 04-24-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Fairly good looking 99 Accord with somewhat high mileage for $4250 obo. You can probably offer him 3800 or less and he'll bite.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1138926586.html

97 Prelude with 120K Miles for $3000.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1139029060.html

Here's a nice looking 91 Integra if you're into the JDM/Modding scene. Looks like this guy takes good care of his car thats almost 2 decades old.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1137432035.html

Car shopping is always fun. Good luck and let us know if you need any more help.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wow man, thanks for the help. You rock!!

I dig the prelude... I just wonder if it will be considered a sports car and raise my insurance It's already pretty expensive due to a major accident I had awhile back.

Fairly good looking 99 Accord with somewhat high mileage for $4250 obo. You can probably offer him 3800 or less and he'll bite.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1138926586.html

97 Prelude with 120K Miles for $3000.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1139029060.html

Here's a nice looking 91 Integra if you're into the JDM/Modding scene. Looks like this guy takes good care of his car thats almost 2 decades old.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1137432035.html

Car shopping is always fun. Good luck and let us know if you need any more help.

Blaze is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

yeah car fax,i had a friend trying to sell his integra, appreantly it had been totalled and re-built.

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Sean can you drive a stick? if so, (or even if not, LEARN!) definitely get a stick!! I had a '95 Honda Civic Ex with the 1.6 VTEC engine for 2-3years.... It's only a 4-cylinder so it wasn't that powerful, but for a 4-cylinder that little car was FUN! If you're going to get stuck with a smaller, less powerful car, having a manual will definitely make it feel a lot peppy-er.

A prelude with a Vtec would be a really nice car. That's what I wanted to get instead of the civic.... but yes, I think insurance would be a little more...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaFishies View Post
      Sean can you drive a stick? if so, (or even if not, LEARN!) definitely get a stick!! I had a '95 Honda Civic Ex with the 1.6 VTEC engine for 2-3years.... It's only a 4-cylinder so it wasn't that powerful, but for a 4-cylinder that little car was FUN! If you're going to get stuck with a smaller, less powerful car, having a manual will definitely make it feel a lot peppy-er.

A prelude with a Vtec would be a really nice car. That's what I wanted to get instead of the civic.... but yes, I think insurance would be a little more...
      Of course I can drive stick *shakes head* :P

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So it seems in some cases its safe to buy a car with a salvage title... when does this hole true and when should it set off alarm bells.

I'm leaning back towards a civic sedan (hatchback preferably) for a- cheaper insurance and b- easier to haul ****e around... like water. If anyone happens to see one of those around let me know

Also.. really worth it to have the vtec engine?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a Honda Fit and it's amazing the types of things you can put into this car. It has VTEC, but it's a Single Cam engine, so basically it's a weak car that's good on MPG, and you don't feel any VTEC power when you step on it, lol. Same would go for any other Single Cam Honda, like a Civic Hatchback (doesn't come in 4 door by the way, only 2). If you got the Civic Si then it would be DOHC and would definitely be worth the VTEC.

Bad thing about a Civic hatchback is EVERY tuner Fast and Furious Ricer fixes these up and "races" them. So finding one that hasn't been abused might be kind of hard. A regular Civic on the other hand, everybody drives. It would be nice to buy one from a granny who never exceeded 60 mph, lol.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information