• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: I got ich

!v@n is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chillin

I am:
      Cool

I got ich

So I go take a look at my tank yesterday and see my yellow tang and blue hippo tang both have ich. My tank has been running for over a year now nd I have never had any problems with ich. The last thing I added to my tank was a refugium a bought from jessy. I know a few of her fish had ich. Could htis have brought it over to my tank? I have been feeding them sea weed with garlic, will this help it out?

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ich can come in on anything.....water, frags, macros, cleaners, fish, rock, substrate.....anything that goes in the tank. I'm sure you know that tangs are among the most susceptible as well. If they are eating and acting normally (except maybe the scratching) then I'd say feed at least garlic (you can add the focus/metronidazole cocktail as well) and monitor. If they act very afffected or stop eating, I'd suggest medicated QT. Sorry you're going through this, HTH

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

The garlic might help. I would also ad a UV Sterilizer. Most of our systems have Ich in them.
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

I am:
      Cool

Both tangs seem to be acting normal as far as I can tell. The yellow picks at the sea weed clip as soon as he sees it, the blue is a bit more shy about it. I hope it helps its go away. Im also gonna turn off my ATO and let water evaporate and raise the salinity. I hope my guys make it through. Like I said I have never had ich in my tank and I have had both those fish for a while. Anyone have a UV sterilizer I can borrow?????

Hybrid is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Try the Spectrum pellets. The are non medicated anti parasitic and in my experience have always helped rid the ich in a couple of days. good luck

KingRB is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

9 times out of Ten that is how you got it... I guess you didn't clean it out...

Quote Originally Posted by !v@n View Post
      The last thing I added to my tank was a refugium a bought from jessy.

I am:
      Cool

no i didnt clean it out, I figured all the stuff in there was good. Guess I was wrong. I will try the spectrum pellets thanks for the input

JoeJ is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cocky

Quote Originally Posted by !v@n View Post
      Both tangs seem to be acting normal as far as I can tell. The yellow picks at the sea weed clip as soon as he sees it, the blue is a bit more shy about it. I hope it helps its go away. Im also gonna turn off my ATO and let water evaporate and raise the salinity. I hope my guys make it through. Like I said I have never had ich in my tank and I have had both those fish for a while. Anyone have a UV sterilizer I can borrow?????
      I think you got it backwards about the salinty. Lower salinity is used to battle Ich, so you'd want to add more ATO water (supposed to be done quickly to be more effective). If you raise the salinity, you might stress the fish out even more. I hope you're not talking about doing this to a reef tank, though.

I don't know if you've seen this one thread on Ich.

I am:
      Cool

Opps my bad, I did have it backwards. I just talked to Will. Im picking up some spectrum tonight. Should I also get a UV Sterilizer?
      Last edited by !v@n; 03-30-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Diver Dan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Geez ich and everyone freaks...

Odds are you had ich in your tank before you put on the refugium; unless you ran your system fallow for 4 to 6 weeks and QT'd everything you put in your tank after that.
      Fish get stressed, this allows them to be suseptable to ich, not too much of a big deal. Keep the stress level down, feed garlic, and you will be fine.
      I have ich in my tank right now... So do 90 percent of the people on here...
      And pods are way more beneficial than ich is bad so good job on not washing out fuge.

Trever

I am:
      Cool

Thanks for the input Trever. Thats what I figured when I didnt wash out the fuge, that the pods would be good for my tank. I didnt think it could pass on ich or like you said maybe its been in my tank the whole time. Oh well guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep giving them the garlic and sea weed and also spectrum pellets

I am:
      Cool

Ok UPDATE, my yellow tang no longer has any spots of ich on it, and my blue hippo looks like the spots are fading. Both look better than yesterday. I feel relieved. I also did a water change tonight and got me some spectrum with garlic and a cleaner wrasse. Thanks for all the good input guys
      Last edited by !v@n; 03-30-2009 at 08:43 PM.

reefrf is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Talking

Yes, I'm with Derek. I also have had Ich since the beginning of time & never have lost a fish yet in this tank, not to say I've never lost a fish to Ich that is. As mentioned, Ich comes and goes when there's stress. If your water quality is excellent & stable & you feed a wide variety of foods. Your fish will fight it off.

One important thing I've learned in this hobby is DON'T over react & start changing & doing something drastic. More often than not it will take care of itself as long as you have great husbandry. Good luck & sorry you're dealing with this. It's unpleasant to see & you feel kind of helpless.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
      Odds are you had ich in your tank before you put on the refugium; unless you ran your system fallow for 4 to 6 weeks and QT'd everything you put in your tank after that.
      Fish get stressed, this allows them to be suseptable to ich, not too much of a big deal. Keep the stress level down, feed garlic, and you will be fine.
      I have ich in my tank right now... So do 90 percent of the people on here...
      And pods are way more beneficial than ich is bad so good job on not washing out fuge.

Trever

I am:
      Cool

UPDATE: the ich is fading from my blue tang now, both fish doing better now woo hoo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information