• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5.5g Rimless

impreza619 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nice tank and plants. Your tank's low tech approach is sweet. The colorata and hc are doing great in my tank, thanks again.
      Rimless 8in reef , 40g sump, Fuana Marin Blue Line Ultra Skim III, 4x Tunze 6525, 2x Tunze 6100 & mult cont., 8x54w tekT5, 1/3hp chiller and other stuff...

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Is there a heater in there?
      There's a fine line between owning your tank, and having your tank own you!_________________________________________

120G SCA starfire, tunze 1073.02 return pump, Geisemann reflexx 4xT5, 2x panorama pro LED strips, 2x Vortech MP 20's, 40g sump w/ fuge.

Haeun is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

equipmentless tank.
      well, not counting light.
      Last edited by Haeun; 02-12-2009 at 01:03 PM.
      [RIGHT][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="6"][COLOR="#5774A4"]D I A N A[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/RIGHT]

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Low temp no effect on plants?
      What fish?
      There's a fine line between owning your tank, and having your tank own you!_________________________________________

120G SCA starfire, tunze 1073.02 return pump, Geisemann reflexx 4xT5, 2x panorama pro LED strips, 2x Vortech MP 20's, 40g sump w/ fuge.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

just shrimps.

plants are fine with water temperature, but if you have fish, you should use a heater.
      [RIGHT][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="6"][COLOR="#5774A4"]D I A N A[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/RIGHT]

johnc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Haeun View Post
      27w PC desk light, found at Costco or Home Depot.

Very low maintenance tank, which is what I love about it.
      Did you change out the light bulb? I am starting one up soon because of the pictures you posted.

Malladawg is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I just saw Diana's tank last night, and it was an amazing natural tank.

No filter, no heater, not even using CO2, just a lot of experience. The plants were really full and healthy. I hope my high tech approach will give me even a fraction of the success she has. Thanks again for the clippings!

Eric

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
      Did you change out the light bulb? I am starting one up soon because of the pictures you posted.
      nope don't even have to change the bulb. buy and use!
      that desklight (seen in the first picture) is a fantastic nano/pico fwp light.
      ask away if you have any questions. and start a thread when you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Malladawg View Post
      I just saw Diana's tank last night, and it was an amazing natural tank.

No filter, no heater, not even using CO2, just a lot of experience. The plants were really full and healthy. I hope my high tech approach will give me even a fraction of the success she has. Thanks again for the clippings!

Eric
      aw shucks. thanks.
      hope the female shrimp gives you lots of babies soon. if you lose shrimps, come on over for some more. they populate quickly.

I just wanted to add that my equipmentless tank is more of an anomaly. You really do want a heater and water movement, especially with fish. i was able to get away with it cause i keep aquatic roaches (red cherry shrimps) that would eat any algae.
      Canisters + lily pipes (ebay ones work fine!) + inline heater = slickness. I was just too lazy to set mine up and need to keep my energy bill down.
      Last edited by Haeun; 02-13-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Know where I can get some driftwood that is tannin free?

It might take me a while cause for some reason I want to make it hard on myself and build my own acrylic tank. Will definitely create a photo log of the project though. Thanks for the inspiration.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

other than getting used presoaked driftwood from other people... not really. all driftwood leech tannin initially. those pieces in my tank, i've had them for at least 3 years.

i like the manzanitas though. There is a SoCal company that sells manzanita branch packages. Here's their website: http://www.manzanita.com/ Maybe you and a few other people can get a group buy going. Just ask for an aquarium package, they know what you're talking about. You can request nano pieces, or larger pieces. Give them a call, they're pretty helpful.
      Last edited by Haeun; 02-13-2009 at 04:14 PM.

SoCalBoo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Haeun View Post
      other than getting used presoaked driftwood from other people... not really. all driftwood leech tannin initially. those pieces in my tank, i've had them for at least 3 years.

i like the manzanitas though. There is a SoCal company that sells manzanita branch packages. Here's their website: http://www.manzanita.com/ Maybe you and a few other people can get a group buy going. Just ask for an aquarium package, they know what you're talking about. You can request nano pieces, or larger pieces. Give them a call, they're pretty helpful.
      +1 on manzanita. beautiful stuff.

all mopani/malaysian driftwood will leach, although seasoned wood (soaking for a long time) will leach less. you can minimize by boiling and rinsing a few times. don't boil if the wood is treated (only shop I know that treats their wood is Fountains).

Diana, I need to get a colony of RCS. I have a half dozen little guys I picked up from AW, but I like to get a few dozen. Do you have any?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I didn't know people used manzanita in tanks. When I was into birds I had an endless supply that I got sent in from Washington for little a more than shipping. But that site you showed me looks good, I will put in an order.

Im thinking of some Otos, Endlers and maybe shrimp if the plants fill in enough of the tank.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information