• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hair Algae

sandiegan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So the hair algae uses nutrients as it grows. Nutrients enter the tank from feedings usually. If all that's going on is the sea hare eating it, then you're not going to get anywhere, because the poop has most of the nutrients in it still and well...there goes the cycle.

Try 2 days of no light, with the sea hair hard at work, and on the first day rip out as much as you can (and take it out of the tank). You have a skimmer on that tank?
      Also, lights don't have to be on much more than 7 hours (differs by opinion, but mine run 7 hrs actinics, and only 5 or so w/ daylights). And also, how's the flow in the tank?

So overall, be patient, cut back/stop feeding for 2 days or so w/ lights off and do as much manual removal as possible. After 2 days, do a water change and then lights on. For kicks, might as well test your water change water as well for nitrates/phosphates. They probably test low in the tank right now because the algae is using up so much of it. Oh, and check you bulbs too, old PC's have been known to contribute to algae growth.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Oh, and how did you lose 3 blennies....something's not right if they're dying on you that quickly...

Don Vito is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I tested my phosphate and and I am getting 0.

After my last post my Sea Hare bit the dust. I have had him in there for a few weeks if not a month. I have also been loosing my blennys also. I talk to the guys at AW and someone told me that its good to put other types of algae for them too eat. I guess always eating the same hair algae will kill them. I don't know if this is true. So I bought another Sea Hare, bought some Red Algae Food with a clip to see if that might help him out.
      I aclimated(spelling) him for a little more them an hour so I know its not that.

As far as my tank specs and filtration I have a 29g with a CPR bak pak. Aqua Clear 30HB with just a sponge and carbon and then my power head in the corner. Nothing to fancy. Tanks been running for just over a year now.

I mainly have softies in the tank and my orange monty.
      Let me know if anything sounds funny that I am doing .
      Thanks.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Lamps are New. I have been changing them ever 6-8 months.
      I know how the spectrum can change in a bad lamp. Already been down that road in the past .

Your probably right about the nutrients being absorbed by the hair algae. That might explain why its not showing up on the test.
      I will rip out as much as I can, do a water change and then shut down the lights for two days.

Also the water flow is good.
      Thanks again.

elvis142 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

nope, i have'nt run carbon for over 2 months

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

How long have your blennies been lasting in your tank? It's one thing if they died carpet surfing (although you should probably have learned after the 1st or 2nd time if it was that), but if they're dying in tank, then somethings up w/ your water chemistry.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The last two lasted atleast a couple of months. They didnt die right away.
      Blennys are usually hardy fish. Everything checks out as far as water chem.
      I am still doing my water changes every week-two weeks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information