• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: F me ...

j_electric is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

F me ...

Finally happened to me after 3 years .. I have Ich, I recently got a CBB from tricity . It is very healthy I watched it in my Qt for a week he was eating and looked great. Well it has been two weeks since he went into the main tank and yesterday I saw hints if ich in his fins. Now today may yellow tang that i have had for over two years has full blown Ich.

I need some help from the seasoned veterans on dealing with this. I remember a long while ago people talking about a "cocktail" of meds that you can feed . Is this reef safe I have alot of sps and don't want harm the corals. Also I don't know if I will be able to catch either fish.

TIA

--joe
      [b][url="j_electric"][color="Lime"]4[/color]/[color="Yellow"]0[/color]/[color="Red"]0[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Live Water Aquariums is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The "coctail" you are talking about is a mixture of Focus, Metronidozole, and Garlic extreme from Sea chem. You mix it with frozen food and if the fish are still eating, it is quite effective, if caught early-it's reef safe. There are instructions on the bottle for how much to use. Cleaner shrimp will help too. If the fish don't eat you can try a product called green-x, a malachite green based treatment that claimes to be reef safe but I've never tried it with sps. During treatment it helps to raise the temp of the tank, for faster recovery, up to 82 or 83 if your corals don't mind. If you treat right away, and you have had the tang a long time, it should be tough enough to recover well. Good luck.

OceanBeach1502 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a 120 and have never treated for Ick. I have had it twice and the fish had it for a few days. Was told that its only a problem if its around their gills? Not saying its a great idea, but I have had it go away on its own.
      “I will also never forget that when I send our armed forces into battle, im sending sons and daughters, fathers and mothers.” -Barack Obama
      *Aud-Ball
      [COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]SDR's Tang Police![/B][/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die[/B][/COLOR]
      I <3 my jaw fish :-D R.I.P. JAWS
      [url]http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52212[/url] <~~~ my tank. Thanks Tim!

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Cleaner shrimp dealt with it for me a while back. I do not like the chemical approach. I did start soaking the food in a garlic vitamin elixer that I got from AW.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

NGN8DOGG is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I used garlic extreme awhile back when my tangs got it for some reason? It worked well for me and at the time my 75 was almost full blown sps

treylane is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

When your fish show outward signs of ich, it's because they're stressed out in one way or another, and their immune systems aren't working as well as usual. You should be asking yourself, "have I been slacking on water changes lately?" and "is fish A harassing fish B?" and "am I feeding enough?"

Basically, you'll need to FIX any problems with water quality, make sure you don't have large temp swings, FEED the heck out of your fish, and they should get better all on their own.

socalaly is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

you can also try a cleaner wrasse?
      Aly Gator is here

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Garlic, Garlic, Garlic...water changes...any cleaner shrimp. Dry food soaked in the liquid garlic along with garlic based foods for immunity. Also the water changes, IMHO the new fish might have introduced it, now you have to ride it out. Need to keep up on a proactive approach after its "gone"... don't buy the liquid, chemical addatives, use the cocktail or the soaked food. AW has a gel ($18) that is sort of premade right in front of the counter. I have four tubes of the powder and liquid Ich treatments I bought you can have if you are anywhere near Grossmont College.

M
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."
      http://www.sandiegofishingclub.com

JAHGYDI is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

thats why i dont buy fish from tricity

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Hey Joe is the temp stable?. In the past I have noticed if I swing the temp sometimes my blue tang would just get ich and then it would go away and then come back, repeat. It was the temp. swings.
      Elos 120xl, 90g frag tank, 3x Elos planet 2's 2x 150, 4x 250w hqi's, 12 39w t5's , Moceans, 3x Tunze 6080, jebao rw-15 Zeovit, Korallen zucht S skimmer, Apex, aqua euro 400.

JAHGYDI is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

every time ive ever had ich i just let it go for a couple of days and it disapeared.

semifan1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I recently got a yellow belly blue tang that had it, made the cocktail and rode it out lucky no other fish showed signs of it.
      It is not sufficient that I succeed - all others must fail.” Genghis Khan

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Martin Luther king jr

j_electric is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by JAHGYDI View Post
      thats why i dont buy fish from tricity
      this is the first fish I have bought from tri city that had a problem . I have been shopping with them for over 10 years and buying Marine fish for over two

The tank is very stable, I am religous about water changes , done every sunday... I will try the garlic for now. I try to soak food at least one time a week , time to do it daily for a while.
      Thanks for all the input

-joe
      [b][url="j_electric"][color="Lime"]4[/color]/[color="Yellow"]0[/color]/[color="Red"]0[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Retzius is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Definitely get a cleaner shrimp or two since you have a big tank. I had the same problem and adding a shrimp did wonders. The garlic soak method is also good. You should do it in addition to your cleaner shrimp.

Quarantine is also good but its a hassle trying to get your fish out and setting it up.

socalaly is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

i agree keep the fish in the tank... I just recently acquired a flame angel from someones personal aquarium, it was fine and healthy...Took awhile to catch him and after acclimating in my tank he went in just fine...Didn't seem to be chased or anything, however the next day i noticed ick... From times ive had it before I tried to take out the fish and qt, further stressing the fish and resulting in death most times This time i left it in, feed garlic soaked food, overfed, and my Fire shrimp set up his station and cleaned away. They were literally fighting to get cleaned my my shrimp... I have a cleaner and he didn't clean anyone but the goby. It has been a week and my fish is looking great...very small amount of ick left but eats great and still getting cleaned. So my advice get some shrimp over feed and garlic here is a picture of mine....

not the best picture of him actually getting cleaned but he and shrimp stayed back there for a day and kept getting cleaned... I just couldn't get a good picture without scaring them.
      Aly Gator is here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information