• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Horrible Experince with Chemiclean!!!

Haeun is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

it is most likely something that had been wrong with your system, not the chemiclean.

OceanBeach1502 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That TOTALLY sucks! I am so sorry that you lost all of your fish. Its hard enough for one to die. Total bummer
      Whenever you do get more fish lotsafishies is the place to get em!

Cuddlefish is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I can completely understand your frustration. Please do not blame AW for selling you the product though. Anyone would have suggested it for cyano and so far yours is the only case in which I have heard any complaint.

If you followed all the instructions completely everything should have gone fine. Unfortunately all I can suggest is getting back in the saddle and hopefully some friends will help you towards restocking the 30.

Good luck!

Live Water Aquariums is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That's a horrible experience, please don't get too discouraged. There has to be an explination. I have used chemiclean and sold it for use hundreds of times over the last 12 years or so since it came out and never once had a loss. Double check how many gallons are in your actual system and what you dosed for, and keep looking for other reasons. Is there anything else new you used at the same time? Did you do a water change right before? Try anything else new, there must be another explination. I know with a name like chemi-clean it seems like it must be the culpret but if it was used correctly I guarantee it was not the cause. Good luck and stay with it, the kids love it.

h20poloman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: I'd rather be reefing than
      working

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by purplerock View Post
      That's a horrible experience, please don't get too discouraged. There has to be an explination. I have used chemiclean and sold it for use hundreds of times over the last 12 years or so since it came out and never once had a loss. Double check how many gallons are in your actual system and what you dosed for, and keep looking for other reasons. Is there anything else new you used at the same time? Did you do a water change right before? Try anything else new, there must be another explination. I know with a name like chemi-clean it seems like it must be the culpret but if it was used correctly I guarantee it was not the cause. Good luck and stay with it, the kids love it.
      Thanks for chiming in Kevin with that much experience. I've used the product in the past and it worked for me as well. Try to keep your head up and I'm sure some of your fellow reefers will help you out. If you need some things to get you back up and running, let me know and I'll see what I have.
      187G Reef Savvy 60x30x24

00/0Feedback

NGN8DOGG is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i had a horrible problem last year with slime algae and i used chemi clean and it worked great and had no fish lost. Are you sure you didnt ad too much? Im pretty sure that stuff is lethal if you add a little to much it could kill your livestock

NGN8DOGG is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I would go back to AW and talk alot of Sh.t and demand they hook you up with fish!

Ashleighsdad is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

After a very long and dreadful day, I think I might have figured out what went wrong. I think I did not overly compensate for the amount of liverock I have in the tank. I knew that there was not a total of 30 gallons in the tank due to the livesand and liverock but I think I did not go far enough causing me to overdose the tank (ie I dosed for a 22 gallon tank when I should have dosed for a 15 gallon tank). This is the only thing I can think of that went wrong especially after reading all the positive things everyone states about the product. For this mistake, I feel absolutely horrible for the livestock that perished. I would have done anything for this not to have happened.

My original post was not a bashing of AW, if anything they were more than helpful. It was my stupidity for making such a rookie mistake. I hope my tragic mistake helps somebody else understand just how fragile this hobby is.

Moving forward, I cleaned all the rock so it does not have cyano nor hair algae using a soft toothbrush and did a 50%ish water change. The softies appears to be coming back. My emerld crabs are still here, so I guess I was not a complete failure. Most importantly, I have a new found respect and understanding for this hobby. As Purplerock stated, the kids love it. That why I started and have my screen name, for my daughter.

Thanks for everyone's insights and comments!
      Last edited by Ashleighsdad; 09-07-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: My cleaner shrimp died too : (

zoa is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

oops didnt read that last post.... redundant comment

LarryM is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I feel for you... I have been battleing cyno in one of the 12G's. I used CC and could not seem to get it to completely do the job... but always just used the 90% rule.

I think I would go tell AW what the story was... they may give you a break.

As far as replacement fish go either DavidM or LotofFishies could just about provide you whatever you wish for. Their both grat to deal with.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information