• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: EvilReefs 770SW/Pipefish Experiment

EvilReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

EvilReefs 770SW/Pipefish Experiment

So after DaveOcean's convincing speech on the new underwater "point and shoot" craze, I just had to check one out. I "acquired" a 770SW the other night, along with 2 of these Dragonface Pipefish, (an awesome fish, I might add), and started messing around with it today... Any pointers on the settings from someone who might have this camera, as far as ISO/WB corrections for 20k? Trying to get more of the true-er colors under the 1000w is much harder than the 250w or 400w, and I'm wondering if that can be corrected? These are all from the 250w or 400w 20k. Check it out...

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

IT looks like there's quite a bit of grain in some of the shots and they're overexposed. Grain can be caused by very high ISO, so though it's shooting faster, you loose some quality. I'd recommend shooting at ISO200 or less if you have enough light to shoot fast enough. Does the camera take pics in RAW format? This would allow you to manipulate the photos better in post to correct the exposure, color balance and more. I usually shoot with auto WB and mess with it later.

Love that last favia shot, very nice . Hopefully I get a chance to mess with one of these cameras someday.....then I'll be better able to help Hopefully some of the photo experts will chime in
      Last edited by barometer; 07-19-2008 at 10:55 PM.

WanaLeime is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

and the master has spoken!!!

Evil - what other fish do you have in there? I was thinkin of getting a pair of d.pipe fish...

EvilReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The biggest problem I thought I might have with the pipefish, was the flow. I am POUNDING water through my tank, and they do fine. They are seen swimming around in the water column frequently. The other problem is food. They are not aggressive hunters, so if you've got gobies/etc around the bottom, they may not eat. These guys have been here a few weeks now, and they seem to be doing great.
      Radiant wrasse, mystery wrasse, black ocellaris, bi-color chromis, bristletooth tangs, scopas, and maybe a few others...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information