• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [27-06, 11:37] Technoviking Chat is now for premies only.

Lic3nc3ToKlLL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

I'm just gonna throw in my opinion.....disregarding the site....if you ever receive something for free you don't freakin complain about it...isn't that like a golden rule? Second, everyone here has his/her own mindframe and can make their own decisions on whether or not they want an account. Websites in general are not only hard to maintain but with bandwidth like TV stated....it is very and I mean VERY expensive especially when you have people just uploading big pictures! It gets ridiculous and annoying. And even if TV is making money....that's the way it is no one buys a business to file bankruptcy even though thats the way it's starting to head nowadays but everyone has to do something and money is always needed to be made. Now in TV's case he's probably spending it on the site and on his tanks w/e.....That's not the point here the point is if it's free your say does not matter...I don't know why TV wastes his time on their opinions and if you are a prem. share thoughts and ideas the site should only get better and not worse. There's some change at least a nickel or somethin lol.

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

Honestly I have been against the chat box from the word GO, for the simple fact that it is a huge tax on the server for nothing more than BS. There is enough of that going on in the lounge on most days. They way I see it, if you want chat box, get on myspace and chat to your hearts content. This is a REEF KEEPING site not a kiddie play ground.
      Also, I can't imagine that TV is making any $$ on this w/ the amount of time and energy he spends on improvements to the site, not to mention the extra bandwidth that has to be paid for to even have the chat feature.

Starting to rethink my premi status w/ all the drama and whining going on here lately. None of this is any way to get new people interested in the hobby/lifestyle or keep current members here on the site. There are many valuable members here who really know their stuff, and I would hate to see even 1 of them leave due to all the crap that is getting thrown around lately.

WanaLeime is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by bigair View Post
      Honestly I have been against the chat box from the word GO, for the simple fact that it is a huge tax on the server for nothing more than BS. There is enough of that going on in the lounge on most days. They way I see it, if you want chat box, get on myspace and chat to your hearts content. This is a REEF KEEPING site not a kiddie play ground.
      Also, I can't imagine that TV is making any $$ on this w/ the amount of time and energy he spends on improvements to the site, not to mention the extra bandwidth that has to be paid for to even have the chat feature.

Starting to rethink my premi status w/ all the drama and whining going on here lately. None of this is any way to get new people interested in the hobby/lifestyle or keep current members here on the site. There are many valuable members here who really know their stuff, and I would hate to see even 1 of them leave due to all the crap that is getting thrown around lately.
      I with BIGAIR on this.... For me it's not the $30, it's the direction SDR is going....No longer laid back or I should say "AS LAID BACK" like in the beginning.... we've lost a good number of the "old school" peeps, why....I guess they have their own reasons.... But time i do spend on here and people I've met is priceless.

-Dennis

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Do you guys see the problem here....we get "this site is too full of drama, you guys should stop all that crap then and there" and then we get "this site isn't as laid back any more"

How easy do you think it is to happily mingle people from all sorts of diverse backgrounds on a board where the only thing they may have in common is an aquarium. Let's remind ourselves of the past, shall we:
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...ight=moderator

From the PM's I'm getting, the "old timers" aren't leaving due to a stern environment...they leave becuase they don't want to be on a soap opera board, and frankly I don't blame them.
      Last edited by SDguy; 06-28-2008 at 09:00 AM.
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

nahtanoj is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i'd like to apologize to all for starting drama.

my case was meant to be on the way he handled removing chat for the masses. nothing to do with i want it all for free. i'd gladly pay the $30 to a business that is run professionally with respect and regard to both paying and nonpaying members. i have not seen this with this site, and i let my anger get in the way of "constructive criticism" and for that i apologize.

i completely agree it is his site, and his business and he has a right to charge for extra service. but when he offers something to the masses and then takes it away with the last notice being in february, it sends out the impression that he is doing it out of greed, and less people are going to be willing to pay that $30. i do not think this after hearing his end of the story, and i have apologized to him for my attack.

so to TV, keep up the hard work, everyone here is thankful for this site. but remember to use tact in the business of it. think of all members as customers. obviously they can't all be pleased. but there are ways of doing things that will not be as "abrasive" to the masses as simply pulling something with essentially no notice.

WanaLeime is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
      Do you guys see the problem here....we get "this site is too full of drama, you guys should stop all that crap then and there" and then we get "this site isn't as laid back any more"

How easy do you think it is to happily mingle people from all sorts of diverse backgrounds on a board where the only thing they may have in common is an aquarium. Let's remind ourselves of the past, shall we:
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...ight=moderator

From the PM's I'm getting, the "old timers" aren't leaving due to a stern environment...they leave becuase they don't want to be on a soap opera board, and frankly I don't blame them.
      That's exactly what i ment Peter, sorry for beating around the bush....

Jessy is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Its so weird around here... it's like someone put sdreefs on mute or something the chat box was always nice background noise.... totally readjusting now
      Jessy -
      -Creative Soup, Owner
      If you need anything for marketing a business hit me up... Logos, Business Cards, Banners, Post Cards, T-Shirts, I do it all.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Any updates TV? When I click on the "chat" link above it just opens up a new window of the login screen. I assume you are still working on it?
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Technoviking is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah still working on it, should be good to go tomorrow.

CyberGuy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I have never type a single word in the chat box from the very first time that it appeared. I guess I have missed out on something really great.

OceanBeach1502 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey! I never got a sticker!

Quote Originally Posted by Techknowledgy View Post
      Hmmmm..... this didn't start out as a rant.

Gotta side with Blake on this one. (Horrors!) You can't have it both ways guys.

Side 1: What is the major advantage to being a premie if all I get is a little sticker, more PM space and a lounge?

or

Side 2: I just want it for free..... all of it for free..... and complain a my discretion.

-a dime a day is well worth it for all of the fellowship, awesome deals, saved money and livestock, amazing advice and all the rest. $3.00 a month is less than a fufu cup of coffee at Starbucks. - Just one. ... a third of a movie ticket, 3/4 of a gallon of gas, two Snickers bars, one cold beer at a cheap bar, the bottom third of a hydrometer, three goldfish at PetCo, a double double with a coke, you get the idea. It is - in this hobby my friends (sorry to sound like John McCain) the Deal of the Century. If I had known this existed before I set everything up I would have saved literally hundreds of dollars.

If your rationale is that you can get all of the above from Reef Central- see ya. Please delete the link from your favorites, forget the URL and ask the mods to delete your account. This hobby is expensive, and our power is our group, our organization and what you are reading right now in front of your eyes. If it is not worth anything to you, don't use it. If you don't want to pay anything for it, but want to tell the owner how to run his business, get a life. You have no skin in the game...... I on the other hand will complain loudly in the "elite" permie lounge, while smoking cigars and drinking cognac.

Chanas4 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by JessyCat77 View Post
      Its so weird around here... it's like someone put sdreefs on mute or something the chat box was always nice background noise.... totally readjusting now

Exactly what I was thinking

jhAWK21 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

should be go to go today huh?

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

I kinda like it, people actually post more...than just FS threads
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

Trickman2 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Techno still like the site but I would love to see a survey on what people are willing to pay for a yearly membership. I can tell you if the price was 20 bucks yearly I would join tomorrow but that is just me. I wonder how many people have not joined because of the price.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information