• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Skeptic goes Hiatt!?!

jacksandgo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      <snip> I had heard several people comment that they have had good growth without CO2 supplementation when using the Hiatt system, so that is my motivation to try it out. <snip>
      Now that's an interesting comment you mentioned, Dave. Can you see any way it would replace CO2 supplementation for plants? While I do believe the Hiatt method works well for what it's designed for, I can't imagine it can produce any effect that will replace CO2 supplementation for plants to thrive. I'm not picking on you here...I'm just thinking out loud about what you mentioned others saying.

Though I guess they weren't really comparing the effects to CO2...just noting an improvement in the plants after implementation of the Hiatt method. Perhaps they had grungy water, and the improved water quality/clarity/light penetration helped a bit? Aside from that, I'd probably be happy to use Hiatt, but find a used CO2 setup for the plants...or do a DIY one like I did years ago. From my experience in FW (over 30 years..yes, started young), I've yet to see anything that would produce lush growth in planted aquariums except true CO2 addition.

psmith444 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksandgo View Post
      Now that's an interesting comment you mentioned, Dave. Can you see any way it would replace CO2 supplementation for plants? While I do believe the Hiatt method works well for what it's designed for, I can't imagine it can produce any effect that will replace CO2 supplementation for plants to thrive. I'm not picking on you here...I'm just thinking out loud about what you mentioned others saying.

Though I guess they weren't really comparing the effects to CO2...just noting an improvement in the plants after implementation of the Hiatt method. Perhaps they had grungy water, and the improved water quality/clarity/light penetration helped a bit? Aside from that, I'd probably be happy to use Hiatt, but find a used CO2 setup for the plants...or do a DIY one like I did years ago. From my experience in FW (over 30 years..yes, started young), I've yet to see anything that would produce lush growth in planted aquariums except true CO2 addition.
      I wanted to reply and give you the reason behind the plant growth produced by utilizing the Hiatt method... The Hiatt bacteria's by-product that is released is C02 therefore the bacteria is supplementing the plants for you without the need of a C02 system. My 125 fully planted FW tank is run only on the Hiatt method along with my triple layered substrate and lighting system. My tank is showing amazing growth & color in my various species of plants. (You can find my tank photos under the Members tank section--- "My 12 gallon, Tortoise & RIP planted FW tank.") My tank has been planted and utilizing the Hiatt method for about 5-6 weeks now and running great. Even my fish are constantly breeding, therefore the plants & fish are thriving in this enviornment. (1 side note on the fish & C02... It is best to have your return pumping out water above the surface level as to release some of the C02 into the air and not have all of the C02 trapped underneath the water level so that the C02 does not build up to toxic levels for the fish when the lights are turned off.)
      I hope this info helps!

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Here is a shot of the planted tank one week after the introduction of the Right Now! bacteria. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Name:  FW5.21.08.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  58.6 KB
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

(Thanks for the pic, Dave. Looking good!)

Thanks. Well, I knew about the CO2 production from the Hiatt method. Rich and I discussed it quite a bit in the past, and I've read a lot about this method. But the majority of that excess should be "blown off", as they say, when you return your water above the water line from the filtration unit. That's why it's set up that way...to keep oxygen in the water and not an over abundance of CO2. So....the plants would never be able to utilize it if that's properly implemented (and your fish won't die). What you're touching on would mean there's potentially enough CO2 still in the tank water as a byproduct of the Hiatt method, that it's feeding the plants on a scale comparable to a CO2 injection unit? Interesting...and sort of scary at the same time, ya know?

As I've said, I believe in the Hiatt method's filtration abilities when properly implemented, and am just curious about the other side benefits being mentioned. I guess Dave's implementation will tell us...via time line photos...which is what it'll take to see the difference, perhaps. If it's really producing enough CO2 to feed the plants properly, we should see dense, lush growth and rich colors immediately. I'm looking forward to the results.

Quote Originally Posted by psmith444 View Post
      I wanted to reply and give you the reason behind the plant growth produced by utilizing the Hiatt method... The Hiatt bacteria's by-product that is released is C02 therefore the bacteria is supplementing the plants for you without the need of a C02 system. My 125 fully planted FW tank is run only on the Hiatt method along with my triple layered substrate and lighting system. My tank is showing amazing growth & color in my various species of plants. (You can find my tank photos under the Members tank section--- "My 12 gallon, Tortoise & RIP planted FW tank.") My tank has been planted and utilizing the Hiatt method for about 5-6 weeks now and running great. Even my fish are constantly breeding, therefore the plants & fish are thriving in this enviornment. (1 side note on the fish & C02... It is best to have your return pumping out water above the surface level as to release some of the C02 into the air and not have all of the C02 trapped underneath the water level so that the C02 does not build up to toxic levels for the fish when the lights are turned off.)
      I hope this info helps!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Jack, Please check my Member Tank photos as I have been running the Hiatt on my 125 planted tank for 6+ weeks now and I have rapid plant growth and deep color in my plants. (I gave Dave most of those plants in his pic since mine are growing and spreading like crazy.)
      On a side note, My return is 1/2 inch under the water level aiming upwards from there. (I am not recommending this as that means I have more C02 in the tank) but this is due to my existing plumbing setup. I have to modify this and have not done so yet in order to raise my return level.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dave,
      Any updates since it has been a few days?

luisito1977 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

just wanted to watch this and see how it goes folks...

I am:
      Tired

So far, so good. Water looks as good as before and fish and plants seem happy. Nothing tremendous to report, but nothing negative either.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey, thanks, I'll check it out.

Ah, so that's the reason for your rapid growth! I was concerned that maybe you were retaining that much CO2 in your display tank with the return above the water line. That's what unnerves me about combining the Hiatt Method and saltwater fish that require oxygen-rich conditions to thrive...such as Achilles Tangs, that usually reside in surge zones. Other than that, I like this method.

Keeps us posted on what happens when you re-plumb your return above the water line. I'd expect the growth to slow considerably, unfortunately. CO2 is the bomb for plant growth, as we know.

Quote Originally Posted by psmith444 View Post
      Jack, Please check my Member Tank photos as I have been running the Hiatt on my 125 planted tank for 6+ weeks now and I have rapid plant growth and deep color in my plants. (I gave Dave most of those plants in his pic since mine are growing and spreading like crazy.)
      On a side note, My return is 1/2 inch under the water level aiming upwards from there. (I am not recommending this as that means I have more C02 in the tank) but this is due to my existing plumbing setup. I have to modify this and have not done so yet in order to raise my return level.

I am:
      Tired

Well I lost one of my tetras today for no reason. Hopefully this is not a sign of upcoming troubles.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Were they 1 of the ones I gave you? If so, I have no idea how old they are since I got them with the tank.
      Also, make sure you are feeding your fish well as mine seem to be hungry a lot, that way they dont turn on each other or something? (Not sure if they would or not, just saying...)
      Sorry, I am not really posting or chatting much due to some hurt feelings. PM if needed.

I am:
      Tired

It was one of the tetras that I already had. The other three are still looking good.

And come back Patty. We miss you.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      It was one of the tetras that I already had. The other three are still looking good.

And come back Patty. We miss you.
      Thanks Dave for missing me.
      (I didnt think that anyone would notice.)

How are all the fish & plants doing besides the 1 Tetra loss?
      I hope all is well...
      Take care,
      Patty

I am:
      Tired

So far, so good. I still haven't seen anything that makes me say, WOW, look at that! But then again, it really hasn't been that long. Should I be fertilizing my plants? ALso, should I kick my lighting up more? Currently I am running two 25 or 30watt PC fixtures. I can easily add two more that I already own, but I was worried about nuisence algea. If I add two more lamps, what color temp should they be. The two I have now are both 6700k lamps.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

SoCalBoo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you do add light and are concerned about algae, might shoot for something lower kelvin. Interesting discussion in great planted tank book, Ecology of Planted Aquariums (not sure on the title, but I'm close) by Walstadt. Happened to be reading last night. Says that algae do much better in 6000 range, but 3000 range (cool white, i believe) slows growth. As I am sure you know high iron levels in planted tanks don't help algae problems either, but the absorption/competition for nutrients food between plants and algae help keep algae under control. I've always found that algae hits my non-planted FW tanks harder than my planted FW tanks.

Day 4 of my 120g hiatt FW startup in planted tank...tons of eggs from either glo lite tetras or harlequin rasboras. Neither have ever laid eggs in past 9 months since I started. I don't know gestation on fish...is 4 days possible for mating and laying eggs?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information