• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rke..

MichaelRyanSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Reefkeeper Elite....

Well I just got it, looks like they screwed up and left some things out of people's bags...Including mine

My initial review.
      Usability: Well if you discount my initial dissatisfaction, then I would say it is probably one of the more straight forwards controllers on the market, no need to learn another language to learn how to program it. It has tons of options for the user to select for any given situation. 500$ may seem a little pricey, but when you factor in all the stuff that is included in this controller and what all the other controllers are lacking, it turns out to be a pretty good deal.One thing I don't like is the lack of ports for bus cables, I mean, the head unit only has one that plugs into a power strip, then you gotta plug the remaining power port in the SID (FOR ORP,TEMP,PH), then that leaves the other power strip. Not to mention for 500$ you'd expect them to give you more bus lines (essentially telephone cord), IMO its another way for them to get more money.

Ease of Use: Have to wait till tomorrow till I get it fully fired up

Appearance: well initial the sleek design is awesome, and fits perfectly into the whole high-tech imagery, but thats about where the praise ends, my first reaction when pulling this thing out of the box was "My god, McDonald's uses better plastic on their crappy toys in kids meals" Not to say its tarnished in anyway, but it feels like the cheapest, flimsiest plastic I have ever seen. Now, I know the RKE isn't designed with a "combat rating" as in, how well it holds up under abuse, but I can say without a doubt one accidental drop and kiss your investment good buy.

Customer Service: Well it seems to me that digital aquatics has come out with a great product, but their whole operation seems to be full of excuses. This thing came out 6 months later then it was suppose to, and now they forgot to put screws in peoples shipping orders and in some (as in my case) they forgot the temp probe. I mean, no matter how little I pay I expect people to do their damn job, if I have to pay 500$, I expect it to be done right the first time. What really chapped my ass was how they weren't ready to ship all the units out on the first day they were available to all the people who pre-ordered. IMO this is just piss poor management, someone there needed to sit someone down and say" You have this entire month to pack and label only 200 packages...get it done" Now for one person I'd imagine that would take 2-3 days, but I'm just illustrating how they had an entire month from when orders started coming in till the ship date. For me fortunately I was one of the first to order, so I got mine first, but I couldn't help but feel bad for the people who are now waiting.

My overall verdict is still undecided because I have yet to get it fully running, but my initial reaction is, The product's functionality is awesome, just everything else sucks hard

Last edited by MichaelRyanSD; 07-01-2008 at 07:58 PM.

MichaelRyanSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Full review up

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Well, I actually got all of my pieces, except mounting screws, with my order. I do agree that the unit has a certain "cheap" feel to it, but if the functionality holds up to what they claim, it should be fine. I will post more after I get it up and running.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

AToji89 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I hope it all works out! I just ordered mine

JoeJ is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cocky

Question How to connect the dots on RKE?

....going through the manual rev B from their DA website.

Uhhhh.......did I miss something? There's not much documentation about attaching what wires to what device back to what switch. I guess it's supposed to be intuitively designed? I'm a complete noob, fob, bonehead. I'll just see what happens and try not to make a $500 mistake.

I already know how to use a pH meter, but I'd like more details on how to maintain this particular probe. I guess I have to march over to American Marine and download their PinPoint manual.

Without manuals, I usually have a tendency to first do the thing that you're NOT supposed to do.

I am:
      Tired

What are the issues? The buss cables plug in to the phone jack style acks on the head unit, SL1, and PC4's forming a daisy chain. The order doesn't matter. The ph probe and temp probe plug into the SL1 where it is labeled. The ph probe needs to be submerged only enough for the tip to be under water. The top of the probe should not be submerged. You have to calibrate the ph probe and the RKE walks you through that. Feel free to call me if you need some help with it. 619-315-5497
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey Dave, how are you liking the RKE so far?

I am:
      Tired

I haven't hooked it up to my tank yet, but I have been playing with it. I like it so far. There are a number of things in the pipeline that will make it better, but until then I will use it as is. I am also keeping tabs on the bug reports on RC in the Digital Aquatics forum. Looks like a firmware update is already on the way.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      I haven't hooked it up to my tank yet, but I have been playing with it. I like it so far. There are a number of things in the pipeline that will make it better, but until then I will use it as is. I am also keeping tabs on the bug reports on RC in the Digital Aquatics forum. Looks like a firmware update is already on the way.
      Bugs? Well I guess nothing is perfect right off the bat. But I'm sure it should be a great product. Can't wait to get mine!

481824 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thats the one thing that scares me about DA. I personally use an RK2 and works great............. now, but when it first was released there were so many bugs and firmware updates. Looks like it will be the same for the RKE. Pain in the butt always having to update your controller.

I am:
      Tired

The nice thing is that the firmware updates are not supposed to nuke your settings. We'll see if that is in fact the case.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

JHAI4 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Looking to come back. Reefer
      525XL

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I was mostly concerned with the plastic body when I saw the RKE at MAX... I must confess that I was praying that they were going to go back to the metal body like the RKII as the plastic did not impress me at all. Please keep us informed about performance over the next few weeks etc...

dj9264 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So, orders taken on day two of release are still waiting.

Anyone else get theirs yet?

I am:
      Tired

Maybe they'll have a bunch of the bugs in the software worked out by the time you get yours.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

dj9264 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for the optimism, Dave.

So, you can't completely submerge your pH probe. I have never read that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information