• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recirculating ASM

reefmedic is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Recirculating ASM

So after some time of reading what kind of upgrades are available for my skimmer I decided to do a modified gate valve (had to settle for a ball valve), and the recirculating mod. I got the info from this site http://www.asmskimmer.com/mod2.htm. I found that the labor only took about an hour prob less and didn't cost that much. So here are some pics of what I did.

After the mod the skimmer seems to be producing twice as much skimate than before.

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

nice mod, and good documentation!
      [FONT="tahoma"][U][B][SIZE="4"]LOTSA FISHIES Aquarium Service[/SIZE][/B][/U]

[SIZE="3"][I]Meeting [B]ALL [/B]your aquatic needs: Tank-Setups, Regular Servicing & Maintenance, Consultations and Sales of Equipment,
      Supplies and Livestock with prices that will keep you returning for more![/I][/SIZE]

Chris H. 760-803-9447
      [SIZE="3"][U][B][url]www.lotsafishies.com[/url][/B][/U][/SIZE][/FONT]

[b][url="YOURTHREADURLHERE"][color="Lime"]77[/color]/[color="Yellow"]1[/color]/[color="Red"]2[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Direct Marine is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

fo best performance you will need a gate valve, way more adjustable then a ball valve, LMK if you need one I can order them

dvincent is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I like the power head feed pump idea, what size did you use? and how did you determine that size? would like to do this mod on mine. Darrin

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey Jerehmy how much are those gate valves cause I cant find them anywhere. The biggest I can find is 1 1/2".

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent View Post
      I like the power head feed pump idea, what size did you use? and how did you determine that size? would like to do this mod on mine. Darrin
      Well I got the size off of the asm link from above, but the just plummed their tank to sump hose directly into the skimmer. I used a MJ 1200. I suppose you could use any size you want. The more water you have flowing through the skimmer the less contact time it has. So far it seems to be working out well for me. Sure I will mod yours for you if you want. Just need it a day so the silicone can set. What size skimmer do you have?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Chris.

jrlafrance is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Just out of curiosity, what benefit is the recirculating mod? It looks interesting, I've looked into it for my Euro-Reef skimmer also.
      [CENTER][B][SIZE="1"]"And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

The long awaited [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=369107&posted=1#post369107"]UPGRADE[/URL] link! Enjoy our slice of the ocean!! :D

[CENTER]PS3 CoD4 SN: jrlafrance
      Current Status:
      [IMG]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8692/prestige10.jpg[/IMG]
      [SIZE="6"][U][B]55![/B][/U][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44429"][COLOR="Lime"]7[/COLOR] / [COLOR="Yellow"]0[/COLOR] / [COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/URL]

dvincent is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by reefmedic View Post
      Well I got the size off of the asm link from above, but the just plummed their tank to sump hose directly into the skimmer. I used a MJ 1200. I suppose you could use any size you want. The more water you have flowing through the skimmer the less contact time it has. So far it seems to be working out well for me. Sure I will mod yours for you if you want. Just need it a day so the silicone can set. What size skimmer do you have?
      Thanks for the offer, I am currently building a new skimmer with a recirc, and will probably use your feed pump design, thanks for the info. Darrin

MichaelRyanSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jrlafrance View Post
      Just out of curiosity, what benefit is the recirculating mod? It looks interesting, I've looked into it for my Euro-Reef skimmer also.
      It keeps the water inside the chamber longer, thus giving the skimmer more time to actually skim out the crap...but as mentioned earlier, since your main pump is basically sucking from and pushing it into the chamber itself...you need a way of introducing water from your aquarium into the skimmer...thus a feed pump mod is necessary....

BTW...not to steal your thunder, but you really do need a Gate Valve and not a ball valve, the whole purpose of that mod is so you can "fine-tune" the water height withing the chamber/neck of your skimmer better then using the stock "rising tube"...IMO that ball valve is going to be way more problematic then you then you think when it comes to fine-tuning it....

MichaelRyanSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

heres some pics for reference

lth03 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Here is the picture of my G1 modded with sedra 3500,no gate valve add on,I modded it get direct feed from drain system via 1" slip connection,I ran it on both 110 tall and 120 gallon tank and it did a great job on them.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Hung

jrlafrance is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Very creative thinking there Ith03! I like that idea very much.

BTW, that picture almost looks like it was taken in a prison cell! LOL, j/k!
      Quote Originally Posted by lth03 View Post
      Here is the picture of my G1 modded with sedra 3500,no gate valve add on,I modded it get direct feed from drain system via 1" slip connection,I ran it on both 110 tall and 120 gallon tank and it did a great job on them.
      [CENTER][B][SIZE="1"]"And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

The long awaited [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=369107&posted=1#post369107"]UPGRADE[/URL] link! Enjoy our slice of the ocean!! :D

[CENTER]PS3 CoD4 SN: jrlafrance
      Current Status:
      [IMG]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8692/prestige10.jpg[/IMG]
      [SIZE="6"][U][B]55![/B][/U][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44429"][COLOR="Lime"]7[/COLOR] / [COLOR="Yellow"]0[/COLOR] / [COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/URL]

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah I looked all over Temecula for one and couldn't find a gate valve. At least not in a 1 3/4". Might see if I can adapt a 1 1/2" to work. Hopefully it wont restrict the water too much.

JimLish is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I got the gate valve for my G-3 at tru-value (in San Marcos, but most should have it) for $12 or $13. I think they had both the slip and threaded valves.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information