• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Summer's Coming...

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Summer's Coming...

But then again you already know that...

So I'm out of town for three days. Unable to be contacted. At the last minute, I jot down a couple of phone numbers for my GF to call in case of trouble with the tank.

Guess....

So I'm out 125 miles out on the ocean and it gets hot, my chiller decides to kick in. It overloads the circuit breaker, trips, water floods, my GF runs to the pad I wrote down and calls Seareef. He rolls over and takes care of business. Tank secured.

REMINDER - always write down a few backups when you are out of town. I owe Chad bigtime, and will do the same for anyone.

No harm no foul.

Extra props to Chad...

m
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."
      http://www.sandiegofishingclub.com

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Awesome, thanks for sharing Mike. You've been my emergency contact before and it kept my mind at ease. Huge props to Chad for being your go-to man and to you for thinking ahead

coral diver is offline Registered User
      My status is: Scrub your tank for Coral

I am:
      Crazy

Big thumb UP to SEAREEF (Chad)

loose-electron is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Flood based upon a power outage? Mike - sounds like you need to do some system re-design to fix that. How did the Newport Ensenada turn out? I just got back from Portland late Sunday.

Oh, and drove thru Yolo in N CA coming back.

Jerry

impreza619 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Good to hear mike! Put me on your tank's 911 list too, that way you could have layers of protection haha. I am always willing to help a bud.

You might need it for that 10 day!

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Lol

-------------------Flood based upon a power outage? Mike - sounds like you need to do some system re-design to fix that. How did the Newport Ensenada turn out? I just got back from Portland late Sunday.

Oh, and drove thru Yolo in N CA coming back.

Jerry
      -------------------------

I actually did not follow best practice yet. Tank was set up to accomodate a breakdown and I had to take the risk. Over engineered right now and I knew its weaknesses. But we have been going hot/cold/hot/cold around here so I inadvertantly left a heater in and on, tank warmed, chiller kicked in. Not a major prob since I just ran three new 20 amp dedicated circuits for the system. Prob was I had the chiller in line on an older breaker (15 amp) and it blew. Minor prob which was resolved on my return.

Lesson was what can go wrong, will go wrong, when you are gone. I had called backups and left a number just before I ran out the door.

Yeah, I have a couple of 10 days out of town coming up so this thing will have to be bullet proof. Luckily its in the garage so no harm no foul. Sump is actually a drilled tank so I can literally run a hose out the door to the driveway. Need to research backflow preventors.

Newport2Ensenada - 3rd place, 30 something minutes out of first on a 27 hr race. Missed it by that much. Excellent weather. Glad it was WARM!

Yolo County? LOL...thats where that Avatar came from!
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."
      http://www.sandiegofishingclub.com

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

That´s great news, though I have no idea who seareef is

Gives me a good feeling knowing my person has contact info in case something kicks it while I´m over here on the other side of the pond.
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

loose-electron is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Luckily its in the garage so no harm no foul.

Newport2Ensenada - 3rd place, 30 something minutes out of first on a 27 hr race. Missed it by that much. Excellent weather. Glad it was WARM!

Yolo County? LOL...thats where that Avatar came from!
      Yeah well the first time I took the 55G live I made the mistake of not dealing with the siphon effects, shut the tank down, and the next morning had the slow siphon of 10 gallons on the floor. (my stupid!) Good thing I tiled that little room, and better that it wasnt so much that it leaked thru the ceiling into the condo below. But I also reworked the plumbing, air intakes and vibration 3 times till I got it silent. Lot easier without fish and just the fresh water testing. Now after the first go around I got to get the air circulation right (I dont run with a chiller, was warm last summer in the tank but not deadly.)

30 minutes! OMG!!! I heard a bunch of boats did not complete due to lack of wind. The best part of Portland was the one day on the Columbia river where they sail. (Windsurfing in high winds up there looks as crazy as SF Bay) They had a one design dinghy race going with the colleges, and UCLA was there. Went over and hung with the kids and talked sail twist and subtle stuff of sail shape that they did not have right. (too tight on the outhaul) and they were all smiles after that.

Yeah Yolo county in the backwoods of N++ CA, long way from nowhere. Sorry I did not take some more sign pictures when I passed thru, but I just wanted to get home. (saw the sign and cracked up laughing) 1200 miles driven in 2 days, and thats a bit much.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information