• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: hiatt method

slowturtle is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

we wouldnt be using this if it didnt work. plus u would be saving yourself money on your power bill from not having to use a skimmer/sump. then u can turn around and slang your equipment, but thats up to you if u want to make that money back or keep needless equipment.

i stir up my sandbed every now and then (once or twice a week) to get things moved around for my cleaner crew. but i would like more so i still need to get snails/hermits.

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Lots of people use things that don't work

Give yourself some time with it. Take notes/pics, and let us know how it works out, before you start suggesting we sell off our "needless equipment". I'll be the judge
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

SuperDragon is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The system is based on biological filtration than mechanical or chemical filtration.
      One can always use a skimmer on their tanks and it will not hurt the system.
      I prefer not to because my fish, corals, inverts are doing well and my water is clean and clear without oils or residue on water surface.
      Skimmers are not needless equipment. They are extemely useful when used for the right system. Skimmers are not bad and have proven themself for many years on traditional systems, it's just they become inefficient with this type of system.

I love big fish tanks like everyone else, but there must be something more efficient.

Atlantis Marine World 20,000g aquarium

Bio-Nut is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

BAKERSFIELD, CA "The Crotch of California"
      My question was not what or where Carbon is or does come from but more of what he meant by inorganic carbon and what the source was( the actual molecule). I do research in an Inorganic chem lab at SDSU and wash looking to investigate that particular source more.
      So if anyone actually know what the source of the Inorganic Carbon is I would appreciate it.

Carbon is carbon but how they purify it is the most important issue. when it is purified by some processes it may leave a toxic residue or change your pH vastly.
      [COLOR="Lime"]My little tank until I can build my big one! [/COLOR]
      [url]http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63333[/url]

[COLOR="lime"]Reefing since 1997[/COLOR]

[b][url=http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44721][color="Lime"]6[/color]/[color="Yellow"]0[/color]/[color="Red"]0[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Snake is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Nut View Post
      My question was not what or where Carbon is or does come from but more of what he meant by inorganic carbon and what the source was( the actual molecule). I do research in an Inorganic chem lab at SDSU and wash looking to investigate that particular source more.
      So if anyone actually know what the source of the Inorganic Carbon is I would appreciate it.

Carbon is carbon but how they purify it is the most important issue. when it is purified by some processes it may leave a toxic residue or change your pH vastly.
      I thought i had explained in my last message what was meant . The term was suppose to be written as man made or synthetic carbon. That would be a truer def of the product. When carbon is processed your qualifying word was MAY, not always. When diamonds are processed they form into the hardest substance known, but are not available for consumption by any living organism. When graphite is made, (a carbon chain that has c-c-c-c-c etc, it is not available for consumption for living organisms. Again for the record, the synthetic carbon is not toxic other wise, fish would be dying. The processes I mentioned are not activation process which are totally different. The carbon depending, (and I wrote a few years back in TFH the entire process of mfg different types of carbon,) upon the different process employed, is to enable a carbon material to AD not AB sorb the pollutants. It uses the vanderwal forces in it's pores. If it was so dangerous, please do not drink any water because all water we drink from the tap or bottle has been filter through some type of activated carbon. I hope this message again clarifies my position.

aanntthhoonnyy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Snake. What size canister filter would you recommend for a 30 gallon tank?

slowturtle is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

id say a fluval 404/5.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

I will resist the overwhelming temptation to start yet another sandbed debate. Cukes and worms do, in fact eat dirt. But if we want to crack open that can of worms, it will need to be in another thread. Moving on......
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SolRo View Post
      You offering for free? 'Cause I have a good canister filter and a 24 aquapod with an algae problem, and test kits.

So if you want someone to test it impartialy, I can do that.
      Thanks for the offer SolRo
      Unfortunately, I offered to DaveMorris first.

Even with a algae problem the most effective means of removal with the RightNow! system or any system is to use a method of phosphate removal and metal remover. To complete the RightNow! system for efficient algae reduction it is combined with MetalGone
      (removes Aluminum, Ammonium, Barium, Boron, Cadmium, Calcium, Cesium, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Iron, Lead, Lithium, Magnesium, Manganese, Mercury, Molybdenum, Nickel, Oils, Palladium, Phosphorus, Rubidium, Silicone, Silver, Strontium, Titanium, Vanadium, Zinc, and Zirconium, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite)
      I will not be providing DaveMorris with MetalGone.

MetalGone can be used without the RightNow! system; however, if you keep macroalgae, it will have trouble growing and could perish.

gbsg81 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

SuperDragon,
      when i read your post with the TruVu, I don't think you mentioned anything about vacuuming the sand bed. Have you noticed any changes because of it?
      And is vacuuming the sand bed considered essential or just recommended when using the hiatt method?
      [B][FONT=Impact][SIZE=5]GARY[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
      20 gallon with 128 watts PC :cool:

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It's recommended. I have not yet. That's a whole diffrent issue though, for a whole diffrent thread.
      Not really noticed any changes, but would like to have more sand stirrers, nassarius snail and stuff.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm thinking of not having a sad bed at all. Does that effect anything?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

no, don't need a sand bed or live rock... sand beds and live rock are for biological filtration. The system can run barebottom from day 1.
      It works well for emergency quarantine tanks.
      It's just your fish will prob all kill each other because they have no privacy or will be stressed out with no hiding spots.

Fishaholic is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

FWIW We will be having Snake speak about the Hiatt method at a NCRMAS meeting soon so we will all be able to learn about his method

-Jerehmy
      [B][U][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000080][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41199"]Old DMI 150g Show Tank[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66509"]My Reefer Ink[/URL][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][URL="http://www.ncrmas.com/forum/"]NCRMAS[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/B]
      [SIZE=2][B][U][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#000080]FMI Fishaholics Marine Imports[/COLOR][/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE]
      [B]Call me anytime :what:[/B]
      [B]Jerehmy (760) 814-4177[/B]
      [B]Escondidio

[/B]

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I would love to listen in on that meeting. how can I found out when and where?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information