Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: hiatt method

Snake is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Activated carbon is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
      Doesn't the Hiatt system rely on the use of large amounts of acitvated carbon? That should turn any tank crystal clear and odor free. I think in terms of clarity, the carbon is playing a larger role than the bacteria. Zeovit also insists on the continuous use of activated carbon it makes a noticeable difference. Not picking on Hiatt, but I think if you take any tank and run a lot of high quality carbon in it, you will see a huge difference. And good carbon is cheap these days.

FB
      what the smell is, is from the protein. The Right Now! bacteria comsumes the Protein, and thus your protein filter will cease to work after a while. Also you do not need to add supplements (not trace elements) to keep this system working correctly. You must back flush to keep the system aerobically functional. Thus you can achieve the reduction of nitrates, and Phosphates AEROBICALLY, and have less work and better fish quality to do so. This is not new on the market. Any questions?

Snake

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Changing the TBPC

Interesting. So you only change out the carbon every 3-5 years? That's kinda amazing.
      the TBPC acts in three ways. 1. Chemical, 2 surface area, 3. Available carbon. The available carbon in this composite pellet, (instead of a mono base) allows the Right Now Bacteria to consume Nitrate and Phosphate aerobically.

aanntthhoonnyy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks guys but honestly I don't have the talent or the know how to build something like that without problems.

I'll just get the correct size this time

Richie I'll call you before i make any more canister filters just so you can give me the yay/nay.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

all about salt water com

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDragon View Post
      Thanks, that is VERY helpful.

This is how to build your own from local hardware store parts. (lots of work)
      http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/fil...aa012999_3.htm
      Stan (Mongoose, USMC) used my system when he was collecting fish in Hawaii for transport throughout the world. When he first started the system, he decided to pee in it instead of fish. He did and 24 hours later he could not detect anything, so he did it again and this went on for a week (Remember he had to consume beer to do this) Finally he called me and asked what was going on, I told him he had cycled the system in the first 24 hours and should put fish in it. He did and that is when he became hooked on the process. He also set up a shop back east with the system also. No, Mongoose did not pee in the system to get it started this time. Simply used fish.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Super Dragon can give you the formulas to use concerning your tanks. And the proper flow rate. Only took 11 years to get it right.

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So I know the idea with most carbon dosing systems (like zeovit and vodka dosing) is essentially to let the bacteria proliferate on the carbon and they use PO4 and NO3 to do so. Then the idea is that you skim out all of these bacteria. So in essence the skimmer still removes the PO4 and NO3 but the bacteria help convert relatively unskimmable hydophilic nutrients into bacteria which are readily exported by skimming. Without a skimmer and such, how are the actual bacteria or nutrients ever really exported in Hiatt? I mean, you can't just keep putting in bacteria and to consume nutrients indefinitely. Is it when you back flush the cannister that you eventually export them? I guess nitrates can be converted to N2 gas but I don't know about phosphates. Somehow, they need to be exported via the bacteria that is feeding them right?

FB

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

P and N

So I know the idea with most carbon dosing systems (like zeovit and vodka dosing) is essentially to let the bacteria proliferate on the carbon and they use PO4 and NO3 to do so. Then the idea is that you skim out all of these bacteria. So in essence the skimmer still removes the PO4 and NO3 but the bacteria help convert relatively unskimmable hydophilic nutrients into bacteria which are readily exported by skimming. Without a skimmer and such, how are the actual bacteria or nutrients ever really exported in Hiatt? I mean, you can't just keep putting in bacteria and to consume nutrients indefinitely. Is it when you back flush the cannister that you eventually export them? I guess nitrates can be converted to N2 gas but I don't know about phosphates. Somehow, they need to be exported via the bacteria that is feeding them right?

FB
      Very good question. The P is converted to inorganic P where by when you vacuum your gravel while doing a water change it is removed. It is unavailable in that state for plant growth. The NO3 is converted to N2.

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Got it, thanks.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

forgot to mention

Got it, thanks.
      A skimmer will not work on this system because the bacteria are so efficient, they remove the majority of it before it is converted into nitrogen.

Get with Super Dragon, and he can assist you with everything.

Snake

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
      Very good question. The P is converted to inorganic P where by when you vacuum your gravel while doing a water change it is removed. It is unavailable in that state for plant growth. The NO3 is converted to N2.
      So what do you do if you do not vacuum your gravel?
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

gravel

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      So what do you do if you do not vacuum your gravel?
      you should vacuum your gravel as regular house cleaning. The Right Now will quickly populate again when you just add a pinch of it after you are finished. The majority of the bacteria will live in and on the TBPC.

Your detritus will build up and you will use more O2 reducing it. Check BOD.

Bio-Nut is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

BAKERSFIELD, CA "The Crotch of California"
      Quote Originally Posted by SuperDragon View Post
      Not really amazing if you think about it. Tri-based carbon is made of Organic carbon, Inorganic carbon, and a third carbon. I believe the bacteria use the organic carbon to reduce nitrates to N2 gas, as I understand it to complete the aerobic nitrogen cycle, they will also grow on the carbon.

1 lb of carbon surface area is 1150m2/gram or 0.2 miles2 for bacteria to grow on.

Honestly, how much money is upkeep have to change out the carbon every 3-5 years (if cared for properly, by rinsing or backflushing the canister once a month). Some people like the idea of chemical and biological filtration so they change their carbon earlier.

The inventor is a scientist and very good one that carries many products.
      www.hdltd.com
      I was just wondering where you are attaining this information from, I would like to research more about the tri-based carbon. I have never heard of a inorganic carbon, unless it is a Metal organic frame work which incorporates organic carbon in it.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

the use of the term inorganic carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Nut View Post
      I was just wondering where you are attaining this information from, I would like to research more about the tri-based carbon. I have never heard of a inorganic carbon, unless it is a Metal organic frame work which incorporates organic carbon in it.
      one of the components of the TBPC is a man made carbon. All carbon is carbon, some available, some not. The purist form of carbon is diamonds. There are natural diamonds and man made diamonds. They are made out of the same carbon material, but instead of taking eons, are man made in the lab. So the term Man man diamonds is to show the difference between carbon from the ground, trees, etc, and processed, and carbon which has abilities to function but the end result is man made. Graphite in very small amounts can be found in nature. But the graphite sold on the markets, is usually 99 percent man made.

I hope this clears up the definitions for you.

Matter cannot be made nor destroyed unless in a nuclear reaction. My fish tank has not had a nuclear reaction in a week, but the neighbors complain when it happens at night because the noise and light keeps them awake--- (and if you believe that................................)

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
      you should vacuum your gravel as regular house cleaning. The Right Now will quickly populate again when you just add a pinch of it after you are finished. The majority of the bacteria will live in and on the TBPC.

Your detritus will build up and you will use more O2 reducing it. Check BOD.
      Are you saying this is necessary as a regular part of your maintenance while using the Hiatt method or just in general. I ask because I am a strong advocate of never vacuuming your sandbed. That is what nassarius snails, sandbed clams, cukes, stars, worms, etc. are for. I let the creatures do the housekeeping for me. If vacuuming the sandbed is a necessary thing to make this method work properly, then that is good to know.

Along the same lines...what about protein skimming? Do you still use it? If so, how much? 24/7 or just part time?
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

sand bed

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      Are you saying this is necessary as a regular part of your maintenance while using the Hiatt method or just in general. I ask because I am a strong advocate of never vacuuming your sandbed. That is what nassarius snails, sandbed clams, cukes, stars, worms, etc. are for. I let the creatures do the housekeeping for me. If vacuuming the sandbed is a necessary thing to make this method work properly, then that is good to know.

Along the same lines...what about protein skimming? Do you still use it? If so, how much? 24/7 or just part time?
      they can eat only so much, but they do not eat the dirt. The worms to a certain extent, but it is good house keeping even if you do not have the Hiatt system. When I did fish tanks for a living while attending school, I always cleaned the gravel every time, and was able to pick up new accounts because the tanks were better looking and fish/inverts lived better.

no, I do not use a skimmer. It does not work on my system, because the Bacteria really reduces the carbon load in the water.

If you switch to the hiatt system, you will find your skimmer will slowly quit working because there is nothing for it to skim.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information