• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: hiatt method

psmith444 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I was trying to help us all get along and share my experiences too ya know. LOL

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by psmith444 View Post
      Absolutely, that's never been in question Patty

Sam Maghsoodloo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I wasn't going to attend the meeting. But now i might, just for this presentation.

I also have a degree in biology, and much of it was spent doing marine microbiology with scientists from scripps. I'm really exited to learn about a new bacteria that we can use for our nitrogen cycle, because I was very close to doing a microbiology experiment with the n-cycle my senior year (ended up doing it on copepods instead). I know it's just a matter of time before we can do ammonia to NO2 aerobically in our tanks since the bacteria already exist in nature that can do that, so that's why i'm hoping this method works.

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by psmith444 View Post
      Patty Rocks more than me..... and she has been stellar all the way through the field of mud. A beath of fresh air. The voice of reason in chaos, a true peacemaker, a women ..... well you get the idea......

Sam,

I am excited too........ got lost in bio when I wanted to be a Dr. Glad I didn't go that way. Always looking for a softer, gentler, and more natural way with my tank. Especially one that does not have an electrical plug at one end!

Sam Maghsoodloo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Techknowledgy View Post
      Especially one that does not have an electrical plug at one end!
      HAHA. Well, THAT might be asking for much Maybe if you live on a coral reef or you have a few hamsters powering all the pumps and lights.

psmith444 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Maghsoodloo View Post
      HAHA. Well, THAT might be asking for much Maybe if you live on a coral reef or you have a few hamsters powering all the pumps and lights.
      Haha! Now that would be funny!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Always appreciated!

BTW- Updates on both my tanks... (Remember that I just got back from a weeks vaca and my Hubby did the best he could with the tanks- overfeeding, straight salt water top off, no Mag added, lighting time? etc...)
      SW- Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20 (a lil higher due to the last week my guess as normal is about 10-15max) Ph about 8.4. Alk was good but dont remember exactly. I do not have any other tests kits to try so that is all the results I can give. (My Hairy Mushroom and Birdsnest were not happy at all when I got back from my trip but looked great before I left so who knows what happened...?)

FW- Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 30ish, (Nitrates used to be 80 when I first took over the tank and has slowly declined since adding the Hiatt carbon & bacteria.) Water-Hard, Alk good & PH 7.0

Keep in mind that since I have both a reef tank & a Planted tank that they both require 1/3 normal dosage of Hiatt bacteria compared to a fish only tank so some Nitrates are expected.

I will post these current results under my Member tank thread as well.

Please feel free to ask any reasonable questions if you would like.
      Patty
      Last edited by psmith444; 06-26-2008 at 01:25 PM.

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Maghsoodloo View Post
      I know it's just a matter of time before we can do ammonia to NO2 aerobically in our tanks since the bacteria already exist in nature that can do that
      Don't we already do this? I thought this was the general concept behind wt/dry filtration, like the bio-wheels and bioballs. Nitrosonomas/Nitrobacter, one of those rings a bell.

jacksandgo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
      Hello again,

<snip>

Now here is a little history you should know about this invention.

It was NOT MADE FOR THE AQUARIUM HOBBY!

Since my company is involved in the Environmental pollution clean up, the invention has been used and tested by city and county facilities for their waste water clean up, and for the reduction of Nitrates in their drinking water.

<snip>

Respectfully submitted,

Semper Fidelis

Snake
      http://www.HDLtd.com
      snake@hdltd.com
      562 428 9973

The background on the Hiatt method, and it's origins, is exactly what convinced me this method was sound and made perfect sense for aquarium filtration. I read up extensively on this method and it's background, purely for the beauty of adapting a filtration environment so powerful, down to the aquarium enthusiast market.

I also agree with others who say this method is not for everyone. It needs to be implemented properly, almost to the letter, or you won't get the results you desire...or worse. Seems to me the big issue most will face in implementing it, is the need for a higher flow rate through the filtration media to feed this bacteria's oxygen needs, vs. what they might be sending through their sumps or refugiums at present.

The only issue that really concerns me about this method, and why I've hesitated implementing it on my 600g (total water) system, is the potential change in oxygen levels and CO2 levels. I keep quite a few tangs, and a few of them require highly oxygenated environments to thrive (Achilles, for example)...more than the normal saltwater fish might require to thrive. So, an aerobic-intensive bacteria, producing copious amounts of CO2 during it's processing, might be somewhat...shall we say...contraindicated for my usage. Other than that, the method looks extremely appealing.

I look forward to seeing more info on this method.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information