Set you mood here...

hiatt method

it owns

aanntthhoonnyy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm giving this a shot on my sps 30.

I'm actually trying to get a hold of Richie so I can get some media for my filter. We are going to have to band together because we are going to be the severe minority.

So Richie if you see this please call me or PM me back. I want to get the media asap. I'm available all night tonight 4/7/08

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Make sure you guys keep us informed. Minority or not, it's always nice to hear alternatives and get first hand accounts.

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Yes, forget about popularity...take good notes of success and failure...the more people can gain from your experience the better.
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Most people can't get past the idea of using a canister filter.

haha

slowturtle is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

lmao, richie is my brother

my 75 is already running the hiatt for like a week and a half or 2 weeks now. dont know why ppl havent switched over to this yet. tank dont stink no more like everyone elses when you try and smell it. and the water is crystal clear. dont know why ppl are scared to use it, and ask ppl to keep them updated. go to my brothers thread, his has been up for over a month or 2. dont know if thats enough proof for you.

i still have media for it, but youre best to talk to my brother about it if you want to start it up. hes got all of his tanks running it. he checked out my 75 before he went to MAX. wish i could have gone, heard i missed out on alot.
      Last edited by slowturtle; 04-07-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I looked for him at MAX sunday.

I actually just finished speaking to him, I might be picking up some media later on tonight.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by slowturtle View Post

my 75 is already running the hiatt for like a week and a half or 2 weeks now. dont know why ppl havent switched over to this yet. tank dont stink no more like everyone elses when you try and smell it. and the water is crystal clear. dont know why ppl are scared to use it, and ask ppl to keep them updated. go to my brothers thread, his has been up for over a month or 2. dont know if thats enough proof for you.

i still have media for it, but youre best to talk to my brother about it if you want to start it up. hes got all of his tanks running it. he checked out my 75 before he went to MAX. wish i could have gone, heard i missed out on alot.
      I'm not scared of using it, I am scared of the $1150 price tag to start it up. As for your tank not stinking anymore, I have no idea what you are talking about. My tanks don't stink. In fact I don't know anyone here that has complained about how much their tank stinks. It sounds like this system is practical enough for smaller tanks, but not so much for the larger ones. I do hope that your successes and failures will be noted here for all of our curious minds.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

corbeano619 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I switched over to the right now system and my tank is super clear. I have a very high fish load in my tank and so fair I'm VERY HAPPY with this. I dont think it would cost that muchto do a 300 gallon tank. I have a 125 gallon with an Xp4 and it runs great. I think this is a great system to run. Thanks again richie. Corban

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

1. You are right. I wanted to compare it to Zeo. And now I can see the differences from a cost standpoint.

2. Of course this is for my 300g. It is the only tank I have.

3. If you want something to be kept private, perhaps you should tell me. Sorry if I spilled the beans and shouldn't have.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Snake is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

System size

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      I'm not scared of using it, I am scared of the $1150 price tag to start it up. As for your tank not stinking anymore, I have no idea what you are talking about. My tanks don't stink. In fact I don't know anyone here that has complained about how much their tank stinks. It sounds like this system is practical enough for smaller tanks, but not so much for the larger ones. I do hope that your successes and failures will be noted here for all of our curious minds.
      When I was at the show this weekend, I could smell the H2S from some of the coral tanks as I walked by. Also the smell of the water which you normally can detect, with this system it is gone, because the protein is gone which gives the odor.

Would you say, a 35,000 gallon system or a shop's system that has been running 10 years is a good indicator for larger systems?

Wish I could have met a few of you at the show. Remember to use the correct amount of TBPC, and pH rock according to the formula considered for the type of tank you are to set up.

Respectfully submitted,

Snake

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well I got raped on a canister filter that I was unaware was too small for my tank. Being that I'm already out about 40 bucks for a filter I cant use; I'd gladly pass it on to Dave if he is considering setting up a tank small enough to use the Fluval 205.

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Doesn't the Hiatt system rely on the use of large amounts of acitvated carbon? That should turn any tank crystal clear and odor free. I think in terms of clarity, the carbon is playing a larger role than the bacteria. Zeovit also insists on the continuous use of activated carbon it makes a noticeable difference. Not picking on Hiatt, but I think if you take any tank and run a lot of high quality carbon in it, you will see a huge difference. And good carbon is cheap these days.

FB

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by slowturtle View Post

Yeah, a couple months really isn't going to convince someone with a full blown reef display that this is something they should switch to. Neither is the fact that a LFS (essentially a big holding facility) is using it. I need to see established coral tanks using it for a while.....or is this just for FO tanks?
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

SuperDragon is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
      Doesn't the Hiatt system rely on the use of large amounts of acitvated carbon? That should turn any tank crystal clear and odor free. I think in terms of clarity, the carbon is playing a larger role than the bacteria. Zeovit also insists on the continuous use of activated carbon it makes a noticeable difference. Not picking on Hiatt, but I think if you take any tank and run a lot of high quality carbon in it, you will see a huge difference. And good carbon is cheap these days.

FB
      The carbon's chemical activity is good for 30 days. The Tri-based carbon to support RightNow! bacteria a a biological bed is good for 3-5 years.
      Last edited by SuperDragon; 04-08-2008 at 02:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information