• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kalkwasser Thread

GoTakuF1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The Kalkwasser Thread

Based on this poll, there seems to be a lot of misconception (it's difficult) and misinformation (it'll nuke your tank and seize your pumps) out there about kalkwasser (lime water). No, it's not some magical powder (so don't go sniffing it!) and it won't be the be-all-end-all of calcium/alkalinity supplementation, but in my opinion, it has many clear advantages over DIY two part/B-Ionic/other commercial products. I think everyone can benefit from kalk one way or another so go arm yourself with knowledge and read up:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
      Degradation of Lime
      Metals in Limewater (precipitation)
      Good Kalkwasser Discussion

Feel free to ask here if you have further questions/concerns from reading those papers. Hope this helps, cheers!

Update, here's a pros and cons list as someone asked this recently:

Just to expand on what Ed said. Here are the pros and cons of using kalkwasser:

Pros:
      - Maintain balanced alkalinity and calcium levels with one single solution.
      - Maintain or raise pH, desirable in some if not most systems. Particularly those using calcium reactors.
      - Can be used in conjuction with a top off system thus supplementation and top off can be handled in one fell-swoop.
      - Can precipitate (lower) levels of some toxic metals and one particularly important element, phosphate.
      - Kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide/picking lime) powder is very inexpensive and simple to prepare when compared to other supplementation methods, even two-part schemes.

Cons:
      - Will raise pH in a system with chronically high pH levels. As a result, if careful planning is not done before using a kalkwasser regime, elevated pH levels may have detrimental effect.
      - While kalkwasser powder (pickling lime/calcium hydroxide) itself is inexpensive, the method in which one delivers it could be expensive. Because the dissolved kalkwasser solution is saturated calcium, it could quickly seize a conventional powerhead. One must use a peristaltic pump where no moving parts touch the kalkwasser solution and these pumps can be expensive. Another option is to use a calcium dispenser like the Tunze unit or a DIY unit (Ed can chime in on how it is done).
      - The biggest drawback is the possibility of an overdose if one were to use kalkwasser in conjuction with an auto top off system carelessly. If careful planning is not done with the top off system, a failed auto top off system can dump too much kalkwasser in a system and spike the pH level and potentially crash it.

Note: Kalkwasser is used safely by many, many systems worldwide without a problem (many years without a problem myself) but it must be done carefully.
      One more note: The use of Nilsen or Kalkwasser Reactors where kalkwasser is either continuously or periodically used is not necessary and not recommended as these have a high probability of failing. The conventional method recommended by Randy Holmes-Farley is a much better alternative.
      Last edited by GoTakuF1; 11-21-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Trickman2 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

nice,

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

woohoo, more minh-imalism who doesn't want to take advice from a 68 year old guy who likes stuff and does things

I'm not cool enough to have a nephew rating
      Last edited by barometer; 03-24-2008 at 12:00 PM.

pako73 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by barometer
      ah yes, more minh-imalism who doesn't want to take advice from a 68 year old guy who likes stuff and does things

I'm not cool enough to have a nephew rating
      Minh, drop that knowledge bro!!!

No worries Ed, I thought I was cool too...but then again I'm the FNG.

brianth3lion is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok. So I think I'm ready to switch over to kalk. Which brands do you guys suggest/recommend? So many to choose from, therefore, the coin flip method won't work. Thanks everyone.

Malladawg is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime.

http://mrswages.stores.yahoo.net/mrswagpiclim.html

SuperDragon is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Kalk all the way, works for me in my SPS tank.

brianth3lion is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Mrs. wages is pretty cheap compared to the ones labeled for "reef aquarium use" which probably doubles the value. Sooo.. thanks! cheap and effective is the way to go, right?

j1gregor is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I want to switch over to dosing Kalk rather than two part by incorporating it into an ATO system. My question is: won't this method be somewhat inconsistent because the amount of evaporation can vary so much? how do you account for this variability when dosing kalk?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

really? No one has an answer to the question above?

JoeJ is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cocky

If you're going to switch over to Kalk, you'd probably set it up with a constant rate drip rather than an ATO. Then, you'd have to monitor changes with test kits to figure out the proper rate. All that is affected by the size of your tank and the population of hard coral you are maintaining.
      I've used kalk in my ATO (in conjunction with a calcium reactor) mainly for its pH effects and Phosphate precipitation effects. I don't expect the Kalk alone to keep up with the coral demands for alk and ca, though (110 gallon system, growing more and more SPS).
      More reading: Ca and Alk Schemes

GoTakuF1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by j1gregor
      I want to switch over to dosing Kalk rather than two part by incorporating it into an ATO system. My question is: won't this method be somewhat inconsistent because the amount of evaporation can vary so much? how do you account for this variability when dosing kalk?
      One can adjust the potency of kalkwasser to address any possible fluctuations in evaporation rate by doing the following:

-To increase potency, use vinegar or increase evaporative cooling.
      -To decrease potency, lower the kalk mix amount to less than the standard dose (2 spoons per gallon of freshwater).

Keep this in mind, dosing via ATO spreads out the supplement addition throughout the day. If you are switching from a once per day regiment of two part dosing, kalkwasser + ATO would still prove to be a more consistent method by allowing less daily fluctuations.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for the suggestions. That helps a lot.

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Arrow

My local Wal-Mart just stocked the shelves with seasonal canning supplies, including Mrs. Wage's pickling lime... high-quality low-cost kalk. So if you use kalk, this is a good time to stock up. $2.64/lb. But no more wide-mouth jars... it now come in heavy ziplock bags.
      Last edited by RussM; 06-07-2009 at 02:14 PM.

DOC is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This is a great thread loaded with good info. I am starting to use Kalk and I have seen it used with a ATO. Does anyone have a schematic on how to run Kalk with an ATO?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information