• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BK NW skimmers and Zeovit

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

So everyone knows I did'nt name this thread, I started a kzs for sale thread and I decided to change my mind so I started to talk about why I changed my mind, then the thread was moved and renamed by the moderator:

Since this is still here and has yet to be deleted I might as well spill the beans. I was going to buy the new BBking SM 200, I posted my skimmer over on zeo.com and I got an extremely concerning pm from gqjeff about how the bbking's are coral killing monsters. Apparently it has something to do with the reddragon pumps creating some sort of element killing vortex. Lots of people are having a hard time keeping there sps alive with these massive skimmers. The needlewheels are getting a very bad rap. It seems that Jeff killed about 6g's worth of coral before he sold his skimmer and got the kzs. The whole reason kz went to this skimmer and sold there bk's because the corals just were not doing well in there systems. Every tank that has swithced from the bk's to the kz's have recovered I guess. Crazy!
      Last edited by Bogg; 02-19-2008 at 09:46 PM.
      Elos 120xl, 90g frag tank, 3x Elos planet 2's 2x 150, 4x 250w hqi's, 12 39w t5's , Moceans, 3x Tunze 6080, jebao rw-15 Zeovit, Korallen zucht S skimmer, Apex, aqua euro 400.

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wow that is crazy. How do you like the KZ otherwise? Is it quiet?
      hello

I am:
      Piratey

It's ran off an Eheim so yeah it is quiet. It's the best skimmer I've used. It pulls lots. But apparently the main reason for this design is to help out the corals. I just wanted to try one and the build quality looks incredible and you can break the whole thing down to clean it and the pump is awesome for power use. I guess if I ever do a shark tank I could run a bk. Just not for stonies.
      Elos 120xl, 90g frag tank, 3x Elos planet 2's 2x 150, 4x 250w hqi's, 12 39w t5's , Moceans, 3x Tunze 6080, jebao rw-15 Zeovit, Korallen zucht S skimmer, Apex, aqua euro 400.

I am:
      Piratey

Here check it out:

I am serious bro do not do it.. I came form a Bk to this and its the best move I have made. seriously my BK was a coral killing machine.. I am not alone in this either. Something with the NW and the pump does something neg to sps. Alex sold his also and agreed and he had another friend in Germany get a BK and suffer same thing as me.,. the guy sold his BK and the problems stopped like mine did.. MArshal is sellign his BK now also and has ordered a KZ to replace it. He has been having problems for awhile also and is only runnign his skimmer a few hrs a day.

I am:
      Piratey

Another:
      Here is PM from Marshall to me last week about the BK's.

Alexander swears that there is some molecular thing going on with the needlewheel specific to the BK, more likely, just the RD pumps. Some sort of ionic vortec effect or something. So it's completely feasible that is a large part of my prob as well. I'm hesitant to put it on a timer. If the pump dies from start/stoping, $1500 bucks to replace it. Not worth much on a resale without a pump either. I've got some feelers out, and trying to figure out if I can swing the KZ before I sell the BK. I've pretty much made up my mind to get one.

j_electric is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I read that and I won't be getting that BK mini any more I think I and going with a ATB small or if I can find a Kz , The Atb come stock with the ehiem witch is cool..
      [b][url="j_electric"][color="Lime"]4[/color]/[color="Yellow"]0[/color]/[color="Red"]0[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Fishaholic is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

holy cow what????? crazy
      [B][U][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000080][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41199"]Old DMI 150g Show Tank[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66509"]My Reefer Ink[/URL][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][URL="http://www.ncrmas.com/forum/"]NCRMAS[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/B]
      [SIZE=2][B][U][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#000080]FMI Fishaholics Marine Imports[/COLOR][/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE]
      [B]Call me anytime :what:[/B]
      [B]Jerehmy (760) 814-4177[/B]
      [B]Escondidio

[/B]

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

I would love to see something to back this up. It seems extremely wierd to me. Tons of skimmers use needle wheels and tons of people have them on tanks that have absolutely gorgeous corals, especially SPS. Is there something in the Zeo additives that gets affected? And I am NOT blaming it on Zeo, just still don't have a total understanding of what you are putting in the water. Could the BK needlewheel be destroying bacteria? Very strange....
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

GoTakuF1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Shoot, better go sell my BK, there goes $2500 down the drains!
      [B][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37495"][COLOR="Orange"]The Goniopora [/COLOR][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Project[/COLOR][/URL][/B], [B][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49822"][COLOR="Orange"]The Azooxanthellae [/COLOR][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Project[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

[B][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36074"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]More Biology, [/COLOR][COLOR="Orange"]Less Technology[/COLOR][/URL][/B], [B][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=415330"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Reef [/COLOR][COLOR="Orange"] Videos[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by j_electric
      I read that and I won't be getting that BK mini any more I think I and going with a ATB small or if I can find a Kz , The Atb come stock with the ehiem witch is cool..
      Dude I almost did the mini 200. I am glad I waited a few days to think about it. You know theres tons of guys who can't get the bk's to skim and end up flaming on the boards about it anyways. The atb looks cool I thought about doing the normal. Oh by the way J if you contact KZ directly they quoted me a price for a kzs for 8 bills. I actually contacted them about a mini 200 they had on the marketplace and the gave me the quote for the kz because the pump they had for the mini would'nt work over here.

GQJEFF is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris
      I would love to see something to back this up. It seems extremely wierd to me. Tons of skimmers use needle wheels and tons of people have them on tanks that have absolutely gorgeous corals, especially SPS. Is there something in the Zeo additives that gets affected? And I am NOT blaming it on Zeo, just still don't have a total understanding of what you are putting in the water. Could the BK needlewheel be destroying bacteria? Very strange....
      Its easy for me to backup.. Had a nice large dual beckett running for a few yrs on my tank and the growth and colors were absolutley gorgeous. Thought I needed to say I had the best so I bought a BK 25o Internal. Within a month of adding the skimmer I started loosing color and slime coat. Over the next yr my tank kept going downhill loosing corals every week. All these are gone but I have been lucky to get a few of the replaced form locals that got frags from me. I tore the tank down redid it all and kept the BK.. Started the tank back up and still started loosing corals. I bought some frags and tried them out and still over the new couple months they died. All along params were spot on. So I said the only thing I changed was the damn skimmer. Well I bought the KZ and sold the BK and never lost another coral since. Not a single one in over 7-8 months. I do not need to prove anything to anybody. I told Ryan my experience with my BK.. I do think the Internals have more problems then externals. I then started to look into this with more depth and found I was not alone. Also everybody I know that has gotten rid of there Bk has had better success and that is personally 5 diff people. All these corals are gone but the frags of a few r rockin now.

Peace, Jeff

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok these are some of my new frags running with the KZ small skimmer. Let me know what you think of these also.

Ok this coral I had with the BK and you can see where it died and since the KZ has started to re encrust.

Peace, Jeff

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

I'm not saying that you are wrong. I was commenting on the fact that it seems odd that it would be the skimmer and I wish there was a way to scientifically figure out what is happening. We are forced to do too much guess work in this hobby as it is. Now it seems that certain skimmers come into question as well. If we new exactly what it is about the BK that is causing the problem, then that is one less thing we have to guess on.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dave, see for me it is not that hard to understand. I run BB and very very low nutrients with the zeo system. I just think the large over rated NW skimmer pulls to many essential elements out of the water corals need. What really had me puzzled was the loss of the slime coat. The corals just dried out and died over the period of months,. Did not matter if I took frags or not they just did not live in my tank.. I had friends take some of the sps frags and they did not have problems. A few of them were running NW skimmers also but no skimmer out there is like a large BK.. the Things are simply beasts and skim like no other. DO not get my wrong they are the best looking skimmers I have ever seen but just did not work for me or a few of my buddies. I too wish I had concrete evidence but I do not see how we could ever really find out. Like I said all params were inline but corals suffered greatly.

Fish n' Frags is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It would make my day if someone would come on here and scientifically prove that the NW skimmers are causing coral deaths. Would explain a few things to say the least.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information