• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate to, but...Zeo or no Zeo

481824 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Eric, whats wrong with your monti's? Have you tried dosing K-Balance or another potassium supplement? I know there aren't many good test kits out there right now. Switching to Seachem Reefsalt has helped me grow Monti's again! Just wondering.

Jas0863 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Basically what I'm trying to find out is, can an ecologically balanced(pods, etc) marine aquarium using Zeo be attained?
      Last edited by Jas0863; 02-13-2008 at 06:58 AM.
      Native of: [COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="blue"]The Land Of The Rising Sun, Little England[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t92/Jas0863/ERC2.jpg[/IMG]

Fish n' Frags is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Jasper, this is just my guess and from what i've read.

Its going to be hard to keep a refugium w/ macro algea when your running zeo do to the low nutrients. So i would imagine that unless you have areas in the display or sump that would allow for the pods to live and reproduce without being comsumed by livestock than the answer would be NO. Your pods would be consumed by your mandarin until levels were depleted or minimal, and with no place to reproduce they would end up non existent.

This information in just from what i've researched and not what i've experienced first hand.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

See, this is why I hesitated to start this discussion back up. You guys that use Zeo take every question as a personal attack and can't answer the damn questions without getting your panties in a bunch. First I get accused of posting "harmful" information when nothing I said would be "harmful" at all. I am truly trying to understand this system and its benefits and/or drawbacks, but since you guys have to get so defensive about it I don't know what is fact and what is fiction. Secondly, for your comment about the cost of running a fuge, Eric, My fuge costs me nothing. In fact since my macro algea and mangroves keep growing it replenishes itself. I think I spent $12 on mangroves from Rudy a year ago and he threw in a handful of macro. I haven't spent a dime on it since. Even the tank was free.

I would like to see the research behind the formation of the Zeovit system and would also like to have some better explanation of which elements of this system I do and don't have to use. I don't know anybody that uses the whole system the way it was designed, so how would I know where to start? Even the Zeovit guys say that you have to use the whole system, yet you guys are telling me different.

And can I have a Mandarin goby thrive in a Zeo system? If so how do you generate the pod population to feed them? And yes that is a real question not a barb at you. Calm down, lay down the Zeo armor, and realize that I am looking for answers, not saying that your corals are fake. I would love to know, Ryan, what gave you the impression that I think your corals are anything less than amazing.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

GQJEFF is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There is no reason you can not have a pod production to host a mandarin. Heck I run BB and have had a mandarin for over 2 yrs in a total zeovit system.. I use everything except Macro Elements in a net 300 gallon system. Pods r not a problem with this system at all.

Jeff

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I guess the question is where do the pods have time to reproduce since you aren't able to run a fuge?

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Jeff thanks for posting and Welcome!.

Matt I have not run a fuge in years. They go about everywhere they can underneath coral plugs in and out of little crevices in the rock and about the nooks and crannys imbetween my cc.
      Elos 120xl, 90g frag tank, 3x Elos planet 2's 2x 150, 4x 250w hqi's, 12 39w t5's , Moceans, 3x Tunze 6080, jebao rw-15 Zeovit, Korallen zucht S skimmer, Apex, aqua euro 400.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks, would have hated to get rid of my mandarin!

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Jas0863
      Basically what I'm trying to find out is, can an ecologically balanced(pods, etc) marine aquarium using Zeo be attained?
      Hi Jasper, I have all kinds of micro organisms in my tank, plancton, mini brittles, pods, worms, large bristle worms and some I don't even know what they are all hiding under rocks, in the cc, everywhere where all the little creepy crawly creatures could go they are.
      Elos 120xl, 90g frag tank, 3x Elos planet 2's 2x 150, 4x 250w hqi's, 12 39w t5's , Moceans, 3x Tunze 6080, jebao rw-15 Zeovit, Korallen zucht S skimmer, Apex, aqua euro 400.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Ryan, I honestly feel this tank with trying to mirrow NSW levels actually hosts more goodies and micro fauna then any other system I have run in the past. I used to be a DSB guy myself and see no difference and actually more since its BB. They hide anywhere they can to not get eaten LOL... Here are a few pics of my current farg try. Actually these are 3 weeks old. I have sponge and tunicate like mad and was the 2 or 3rd guy in the states to use zeovit.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by cartman5579
      I guess the question is where do the pods have time to reproduce since you aren't able to run a fuge?
      DSB's and pods were around long before fuges were ever used.
      I personally never used a fuge in my life 18 yrs of saltwater/softies/lps and the last 10 dedicated to sps.

darksilenttype is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hi Everyone here

I am not a zeo guru . I have been using it for about a year . This is my second time using the zeovit system on this tank . I ran zeovit with good success for a year and them switched to the probio method for a year and then back to zeovit for a year .

Here are a couple things from the site in question

The ZEOvit method can be successfully used with bare-bottom (BB), shallow sand bed (SSB), deep sand bed (DSB), and Berlin-style system designs. The use of live rock (LR) is not required. UV sterilizers, ozonizers, and nutrient exporting macroalgae refugia are not compatible with the ZEOvit method.

ZEOvit method as it's designed to run....this includes the zeolites, reactor, appropriate flow rate, basic components of Bak, Food7, Start2 & activated carbon. All others are supplements with individual leeway. If your reference really was "does anyone dose all of the KZ products" then "most" becomes "some" users.

The "research" you ask doesn't exist. Thomas Pohl has tweaked the system over the past 12-15 yrs. with pure perspiration & inspiration, literally testing hundreds of different combinations culminating for the products used today.

Many using ZEOvit, have posted that their pod population were adequate for Mardarins to thrive--I personally have never kept one, but hopefully others who have will post their experiences & impressions.

micro-fauna exist in ZEOvit sb system. Is it less populated than a conventional sb, I don't know, could be. If your purpose is to have a nutrient-lowering functioning sb, then the probiotic approach meets that challenge. If it is for pod growth, it happens.

These are not my words these come straight from the site and a reply to a thread there .

Now a couple things

I have no data to back this statement up by I think if cartman adds zeo to his tank now his awesome carpet will become gue!

This is a pic about a year ago this thing is 12 by 12 inch round now

As for the rumor you can't keep zoas .....Here is link to my collection click on pic of zoa it will take you too my collection page

I just can't keep monti's

as for montis ....I have a collection of those two Here a a few

I hope this helps with question if you guys and gals have any more you should really check out the site .

PS I have been working on this all day between jobs so if anyone else has answerd your question .........COOL

John
      Last edited by darksilenttype; 02-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.

I am:
      Piratey

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

John, whats problem r you having with montis?

I am:
      Piratey

Actually Eric posted that he has benn having a prob with keeping montis. We did test for kalium a while back but it has been months since. Erics montis Not Johns.
      Welcome John!.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information