• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate to, but...Zeo or no Zeo

Fish n' Frags is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for bringing up the cost again Dave, i think i'll go throw up now.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Sorrry. That is the advantage to doing it old school. You don't have to actually see the total cost of the equipment all on one page.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Dave thanks for posting, hopefully this thread will clear things up and be informaitive, I have asked Bob and lots of the other zeo gurus who have been doing this for longer than I have to come over here and help out with zeo confusion from time to time. I asked Bob about the topic that you have brought to the table and this is what he said.

Hi Ryan, my experience with ZEOvit & a 2-3" sb is limited ~ 6mos.--previously, I've always had a bb reef. My impression is that ZEOvit works with more stability with a msb & dsb as there's more areas for bacterial populations within one's system & therefore, less gradients of nutrient/element flux. I wonder though can not prove this, is that ZEOvit will do away with "old-tank syndrome". As far a micro-fauna within the sb with ZEOvit---there will be less grunge available for micro-life but much higher bacterial bio-nets upon which these micro-life will feed.

Ryan, if you have more questions, plz. LMK. Bob

Dave please forgive my tone b4. But what Zeovit did and has continued to due for me I would like other people to possibly experience also. I defend the product all the time because it's constantly ridiculed and I think that this will hinder the possibility of others to have a great reef. I want others to learn and progress. As far as cost I've got Eric swearing up and down how easier and cheaper his reef is to run. Initial startup is pricey sure. But after you startup it gets cheaper. Zeovit is an amazing system.
      Last edited by Bogg; 02-12-2008 at 02:12 PM.
      Elos 120xl, 90g frag tank, 3x Elos planet 2's 2x 150, 4x 250w hqi's, 12 39w t5's , Moceans, 3x Tunze 6080, jebao rw-15 Zeovit, Korallen zucht S skimmer, Apex, aqua euro 400.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

So from that info, it sounds like the two could actually work together to help make the tank more stable overall. Very interesting concept.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Piratey

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 481824
      I always wonder why Zeo is such a controversial topic? It is a valid form of husbandry and NOT for everyone. True, there are many who have horror stories from using Zeo but there are many and who have great success as well. I see the same success/failures with people who run DSB's as well. Same success/failures with people who run Barebottom. Same success failures with people who run skimmerless, bioballs, fluidized beds etc........ To each his own as long as you know the ins, outs, pros, cons of the methodology you decide to use. If you think you can just dump a bunch of liverock and some SPS colonies in a tank and throw some Zeovit in a reactor and you are guaranteed success without understanding how it works then you are doomed from the start.

Strictly speaking for SPS tanks, are we not trying to do everything we can to reduce phosphate and nitrate to achieve good colors? How many people have you seen that run phosban reactors, refugiums, nitrate reactors etc.......Is running GFO more natural than Zeovit? Dont all methods try to achieve the same goal. As you can see many companies are following suit such Polyp Labs Reefresh, Fauna Marin, Prodibio. Just tired of seeing soooo many on RC and other sites wig out at the mention of the word ZEO. Almost funny, although most dont understand what it is or how it works.........but shoot it down.
      Yeah what he said by the way I started zeo 4 years ago and have yet found a reason to stop. It cost me about 200$ to start including a reactor. The product lasted me about 2 years on a 120g system before I had to buy more. The only thing I replaced was the stones once every 3 months costing 20$.
      Last edited by Bogg; 02-12-2008 at 02:19 PM.
      Elos 120xl, 90g frag tank, 3x Elos planet 2's 2x 150, 4x 250w hqi's, 12 39w t5's , Moceans, 3x Tunze 6080, jebao rw-15 Zeovit, Korallen zucht S skimmer, Apex, aqua euro 400.

Retzius is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dave, from your first post, I can assure there is no reason to worry about "spilling harmful info", I just think this whole hobby is not an exact science. There are so many variables and this is what leads to biases and heated debates.

IMO, your comment just comes off as trying to help someone. I dont think we will be sure what works best until we try or find good evidence as some of the members on this board have already said.

I have read up on Zeo and think its interesting. I might use it later on down the road but for right now I want to see how far stability, low phos, and nitrates will make my colors pop. However, I do plan to use zeo in the future and am looking forward to anyone who will be using it.

iwantone is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have no data to back this statement up by I think if cartman adds zeo to his tank now his awesome carpet will become gue!

I am:
      Piratey

Hows this for proof...

Last edited by Bogg; 12-09-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Redeye is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Peters Vodka corals look nicer
      Radiant Reefs Inc.
      Scott G.

[b][url="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=384435#post384435"][color="Lime"]11[/color]/[color="Yellow"]0[/color]/[color="Red"]0[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

That's just cause you're drunk when you look at them from dosing yourself
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

is pic 1 a surf and turf frag?
      Radiant Reefs Inc.
      Scott G.

[b][url="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=384435#post384435"][color="Lime"]11[/color]/[color="Yellow"]0[/color]/[color="Red"]0[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Fish n' Frags is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by iwantone
      I have no data to back this statement up by I think if cartman adds zeo to his tank now his awesome carpet will become gue!
      While i would like to actually laugh at such a ridiculous statement, I won't. Please feel free to browse zeovit.com for proof that beautiful species of anemone can thrive in zeo tanks.

I am:
      Geeky

Why would the presence or absence of dissolved compounds that feed zooxanthellae have any effect on higher organisms like anemones, shrimps, worms, etc?
      Peter

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

food pyramid collapse??
      (no idea, shooting in the dark)
      Radiant Reefs Inc.
      Scott G.

I am:
      Geeky

I guess, if your system is based on a food web....
      Peter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information