• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats a "Lucky Fish"? (Philippines)

lth03 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Arowana can house in 120 gallons to 180 gallons tank no problem,prefer the wide dimension more than 18" for them to turn and they do have problem with jump out of the tank so cover is a must to protect your investment.I like silver arowana too,they look very elegance and not cost that much and you can put 2 or 3 of them together,not like other kind only one in one tank like flowerhorn.

low is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

my brother used to house arowanas...as a matter of fact, he gave a nice green one to my mom, when bought was about 6in, now that fugger is probably over two feet! very elegant.

my brother had a red and a gold i think. beautiful fish..very streamlined, sinister but gorgeous all around.

Sat Cong is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Booolt UP!

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by lth03
      Arowana can house in 120 gallons to 180 gallons tank no problem,prefer the wide dimension more than 18" for them to turn and they do have problem with jump out of the tank so cover is a must to protect your investment.I like silver arowana too,they look very elegance and not cost that much and you can put 2 or 3 of them together,not like other kind only one in one tank like flowerhorn.
      Sure...Just like we see nano reefers house flame angels and such in a 24 gal.

But not to make it an argument, yes, Aros can be housed in smaller tank and do fairly well. But would it be nice to see them roaming around larger size enclosed habitat? They would live longer, get bigger, and less mysterious sudden death syndrome. That's just my 2 cents...Don't get me wrong, I am too guilty of putting them in smaller tanks. But hey, not many aquarist is a baller like Rudy to have such a spacious tank!

Delphin22 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dang kool stuff. Now I'm starting to get it.
      I think Ive seen them in Asian restaurants/buisnesses but not to eat.
      Kool fish.
      Maybe someday.
      For now I'll just pretend my 4 dollar Dwarf Gourami is part Arowana. LOL
      One guy replied to coraldivers thread on reefphillippines and said flowerhorn?

Salamt Po! LOL
      Last edited by Delphin22; 02-15-2008 at 03:54 PM.

luisito1977 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I've also heard that FLowerhorns are considered lucky fish as well as the kock (big bulging forehead) on the flowerhorn makes the fish resemble a Chinese god of fortune or something along those lines. Aside from that the pearls (black spots or markings on the side of the fish) can sometimes resemble chinese letters/characters that can bring good luck or fortune as well. Flowerhorns are also very beautiful fish, however I have seen many ugly ones as well. I don't think they have the same elegance of an arrowana. Also it was said in one of the earlier posts that arowanas cannot be housed together, however many aquarist keep multiple asian arrowanas in larger tanks and call them arrowana community tanks. Check out youtube for some crazy videos footage. Some of these larger tanks are truly amazing!

Sat Cong is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Booolt UP!

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by luisito1977
      I've also heard that FLowerhorns are considered lucky fish as well as the kock (big bulging forehead) on the flowerhorn makes the fish resemble a Chinese god of fortune or something along those lines. Aside from that the pearls (black spots or markings on the side of the fish) can sometimes resemble chinese letters/characters that can bring good luck or fortune as well. Flowerhorns are also very beautiful fish, however I have seen many ugly ones as well. I don't think they have the same elegance of an arrowana. Also it was said in one of the earlier posts that arowanas cannot be housed together, however many aquarist keep multiple asian arrowanas in larger tanks and call them arrowana community tanks. Check out youtube for some crazy videos footage. Some of these larger tanks are truly amazing!
      You definitely can house arowanas together. Just have to watch out for odd behavior and a plan B to take the odd fish out. And make sure they are well fed...Yes, again, bigger tank the better....

My understand is that the flowerhorns are for "Longevity", meaning live long and healthy...And Arowanas for "Fortune"...Together they would give you long, healthy, and wealthy life....

I'll bet Bill Gates has a giant tank somewhere with those Aros when he started Microsoft Empire...Now he just need a a pond of flowerhorns to enjoy his life longer....8-)

And when you check out the tanks in Asia on youtube, you would laugh to see such a poor living environment and seeing such a Rolls Royce of a tank setup in the middle of the living quarter. That's how much us asians are into fish and Aros...
      Last edited by Sat Cong; 02-20-2008 at 02:47 PM.

danz is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by luisito1977
      There are actually many different beliefs when talking about Arrowanas. Many Chinese feel that since they look so much like chinese dragons they are the dragon fish.

It is believed that the Green Asian Arrowana should be displayed in the workplace or business and that if the fish does well and lives long the business will flourish and much money will come to the owner.

The Red Asian Arrowana is said to bring the owner good luck and ward off evil spirits. In fact some people look at the Red Asian Arrowana as a guardian of sorts... If the Arrowana is well kept it will fnd off evil spirits or negative energy and if one day ends the Arrowana randomly dies it is said that the Arrowana sacrificed itself and took the evil spirit or energy in place of the owner.

I can't remember what the gold one is supposed to do... sorry...

No matter how beautiful these fish are it is illegal to own them in the United States unless you can prove that the fish was imported prior to 1970's something due to the CITES legislation because these Arrowana are an endangered species. They are currently being farmed in Thailand, China and Sigapore but these are carefully monitored and implanted with microchips and certificates to show what strand they are and where/when they were bred.

It is legal to own and import them to Canada, but I believe it is a felony to import into the United States. In my life (only 31) I have only seen four Asian arrowanas and three of them were the Green Asian Arrowana, but the other was a beautiful Red Arrowana that took my breath away.

The closest we can legaly get is the Jardini Arrowana fro Australia or the Silver Arrowana and Black Arrowana from the Amazon. These fish really require a large tank however. The Asians can be kept in a 180, but the silver and black Arrowanas can get up to 36 inches in length and you would want a minimum of that as the depth for your tank and double or triple that for the length. Once they get that big they should really be in a pond some where. I really love these fish. I think they truly are something special.
      Nicely done!

Its sad to see them change these rules as they can now be breed in farms and micro chipped which has allowed wild populations to come back but they wont allow anything in. Due to this the flowerhorn has also become a lucky fish mainly in the USA and the larger the KOK ( "coke", nuchal hump) the more luck.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The flowerhonrs are great fish as well, but in my opinion, the red arrowana is my holy grail of fishkeeping. If I ever win the super loto, I will have a red arrowana community tank built into my living room wall, or as a room divider. Absolutely gorgeous!

iwantone is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The wild populations of arowona have not come back. Once they do they may become legal in the U.S. I have wanted an Asian arowona for many years, but its not worth the jail time. It is even illegal to inquire about how to get one. The fines are huge. The reds and the golds are gorgeous but the crossback black and gold is pretty cool too. Does anyone know if the australian arowonas are illegal too??

ManTis is offline Registered User
      My status is: I am married to TOO many
      tanks!!!!

I am:
      Piratey

the australian arowonas are not illegal...not as of San Diego as of now...but i have heard of rumors going on of them becoming illegal...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Correct, the Australian Arowanas are not illegal... YET...

iwantone is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The aussies aren't as cool either

SuperDragon is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by satcong View Post
      There this one chinese marine biologist in SF that has the license to breed asian arowanas. He has like a large pond in his backyard tailormade for them Aros. He has like a bunch of red ones in there that makes you drool over.
      Not sure who your talking about. When I was a member of SF Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society and SF Aquarium Society I never heard of this guy.
      I know of many stores that carry oodles of under the table fish and animals up there. I also know of many Discus breeders.

I myself was one of them. That Albino Golden Discus to the left is one progeny of the pair I had that died of sulfur fixing bacteria 2 years ago.
      That's when I shutdown the discus gig and moved to SW. Tony now raises them in SF.
      Lucky or not?

jesse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Aro's are some of the prettiest fish IMHO

A guy wanted to trade me once for a big Peacock I had. I should have done it..

DBL TAP is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Just don't ever buy an Arowana with the yolk sack still attached.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information