• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Profilux Propellar Breeze

Retzius is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Profilux Propellar Breeze

I got this about two weeks ago and was very impressed with the build quality and the sleekness, it makes my tank look nice. These look very well built and it has helped me keep my tank from over heating. I am very happy with them though they did cost me a pretty penny $$$.

I have them hooked up to my Ranco controller, they basically turn on when it gets over 79. I now have a very stable tank temp. Before, I was getting way too much fluctuation and as a result, my fish got ick.

The neat thing about these fans is that they are built from some kind of metal/aluminum material and they are salt creep resistant. So, you wont get any corrosion and they will not break down in a year like my CPU fans always did from salt creep. They are also individually replaceable, I forgot what company sold the fans only. They are called Titan fans.

Anyhow, here is a pic. They have clips that grab onto the tank and can be angled for better evaporation (cooling).

CBlanks is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

very cool, but why not just spend what you spent on those fans on a chiller instead?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I didnt spend the $$ on a chiller because I didnt want it sitting outside the tank. It would have never fit underneath inside my stand and the g/f doesnt like me having stuff around my tank. Also, they are more efficient wattage wise than a chiller.

SolRo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm not sure the fans would be salt creep resistant by being made out of aluminum (though more likely, they are painted plastic), the part that would corrode is either the bearing or copper coils inside the housing.

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Those are nice, but man, I don't know about other peoples' tanks, but my fans look like hell after a year, and very tough to clean...I'm considering just buying disposable ones
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

put a removable mesh on the water side of the fans to catch salt drops, then wash it once in a while, should help.

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Looks really nice. Seems like a great alternative to large chiller sitting outside your stand (like i have). Especially with the open top tank like you have you will get nice evaporation. have you noticed your ATO turning on more? I used to place a fan over my sump but unless you keep the stand doors open, the humidity rises very quickly and you stop getting evaporation. Mounting these fans in a ventilated canopy or open top tank like yours will be far more effective. The wife is now laying down the same ground rules for me; no more crap around the tank.

Azoo also makes similar fans. But those are made of plastic and every azoo product I had has been really poor quality.
      hello

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SolRo
      I'm not sure the fans would be salt creep resistant by being made out of aluminum (though more likely, they are painted plastic), the part that would corrode is either the bearing or copper coils inside the housing.

I think your right, the fans are chrome plated and they are made of aluminum with high grade steel. Either way, they are more resistant to cheap plastic CPU fans

Here is Aquarium specialty link about the fans http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=1265

FB, as soon as the fans turn on, within 2-5 minutes my ATO goes off. So they are very effective at evaporation with my open top aquarium. I also did hear that azoo fans were cheap.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

"chrome-plated" fans are just plastic ones with chrome paint on them, it's a marketing gimick...plastic won't corrode and neither will "chrome-plated" plastic.

having the outer holder be aluminum does nothing either, that one actualy looks comicly overdone with its useless radiator fins.

Now if the gap between the actual spinning fan and the holder is somehow sealed or guarded, that would reduce corrosion that actualy damages the fan.

I do have to say though, that connecter being right near the water is what I'd worry about rusting out, I don't get why all these aquarium fan makers don't just use a directly connected line that's sealed away inside the casing somewhere.
      Last edited by SolRo; 01-31-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hmmm, I am going to have to check to see if it is sealed in the center of the fan.

I think your right about the connector too, they should have at least placed it in the back and had it sealed. I am going to keep my eye on it.

FishBulb is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Retz,
      Do you have a link to replacement fans? Can you buy them direct without going through profilux.
      hello

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Here is a link to the titan company. I know a guy on RC bought these fans and made a DIY bracket.

http://www.titan-cd.com/eng/alufan.htm

try this link, I have to check the model # of my fans to see which ones I have.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Think you might have gotten hosed retzius, other than looks, this is just 3 $10 computer fans in a frame with 3 $2 fan covers.

If you bought it for looks only, cool, but if you thought you were getting something special for that much...

here's almost the same fans for $5 with LEDs built in

http://www.pctoys.com/cg84leda.html

CBlanks is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wife or g/f won't let you keep things around a tank?? Whoopesh (whipping sound)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well, its too early to make presumptions as I still need to check the fans.

I also wouldnt say I was "hosed" as I could never make some fans or brackets that clean and get them to mount on my tank. You get to point where DIY is great but sometimes it doesnt looks as clean and well built.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information